Author Topic: RAC Changes  (Read 5331 times)

Offline enginecap

Re: RAC Changes
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 09:31:00 AM »
Here’s the deal....I applaud anyone attempting to reduce our risk of cancers, period.   Mask policy, no cheaters, gear cleaning etc.   All good stuff.  We have had RAC units for at least the last 20 years I think.  RACs have been handing out towels for many many years....granted, most guys just put them around neck to immediately drop their Core temperature, but they are using them none the less. 
I,  for one, am not insulting any staff chiefs....they have a job to do, but they often get their hooks into projects for various reasons.  RAC is a light duty position and I wouldn’t be surprised, like I said, if this all revolves around someone’s FOMI project “efficient ways to use light duty firefighters and officers”.   
I entered this thread when the RAC Battalion was mentioned.  That’s when I jumped in.  Fire scenes are way overmanaged as it is....HQs answer to everything is “stick another Battalion Chief in there”. 
I’m glad the job keeps moving forward in cancer causing awareness, but reality is the majority are 9/11 related.     
 If someone really wants a project, let them figure out how to keep everyone from taking their masks off during overhaul when all the carcinogens and CO are floating around. 
How was my grammar BTW ?
I just want one more good fire

Nycfire.net

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 09:31:00 AM »

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 10:22:32 AM »
Thanks Enginecap.  All good points.  This is a good awareness thread.  Too many FFs have been killed and incapacitated. 

Offline manlt

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 01:42:45 PM »
I'm not 100% positive on the RAC BC.  Hearing he might be with the "Super RAC".  It is what it is.
Engine Cap, most of our guys RIGHT NOW, are 9/11 related.  Not all though.  Here are some numbers: 30% of Miami Dade firefighters have cancer!  2017 70% of IAFF deaths were cancer. Finding increase nation wide of firefighters with Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and MS.  Nation wide 1 in 204 kids have cancer.  Children of firefighters are 26 time more likely to get cancer!  This isn't even about us, it is now extending to our kids.  Those towels that we use to cool ourselves off are just that, cooling towels.   A 5 degree increase in your skin temperature increases absorption by 400%RAC and companies are going to be getting cleaning towels to use.

You might be happy with the gatorade, but we always say, "they should have did something".  They are doing something.  It is just about us, it is about the future us.  Change takes time on this job, they are trying to get ahead of things.  BTY, I am not involved with any of this.  Just seen the powerpoints on the diseases that we (all accross the country) are getting.  Coming down to you need to shower within an hour if you used your mask.  Ton of guys on this job don't shower after a job, and go home dirty.  If you put your bunker gear on or get in the rig durring the tour, you should shower before you go home, job or not.

Offline 8060rock

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 02:31:38 PM »
Well said manlt - at times, we have been our own worst enemy - the almighty peer pressure - if you wore the mask way back when, you weren't the "tough guy" - so you would do without the mask as best you could - didn't wanna be thought of as less than a tough guy, right?.
Back in the day, wear your mask during overhauling/washdown - too humorous to even think of - fire is out, first thing that came off was the mask.
Great observation on the shower - or as you said - the lack of. Fire is out, overhauling done, washdown done, hose repacked - back to the firehouse - and maybe a birdbath before heading off to "wherever it was" in the house that you convened to "talk about" who did what or who woulda, coulda, shoulda done this, that or the other thing.
Biggest point of all that you make - the higher percentage of firefighter children likely to come down with a cancer of some sort - really big issue - so anything that, even remotely, may help in bringing down that percentage can only be seen as a good thing.
I still like the old enginecap though - like myself - I think he's just a grumpy old engineman who wishes he could go to just 1 more good job - love that sarcasm of his though - and when he wants to, his grammar ain't all dat bad!   

Offline twoteamtease

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 02:39:57 PM »
I was referring to another poster about the grammar not enginecap.

Offline enginecap

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2018, 09:48:05 AM »
We are and always will be our own worst enemy.  Wear your mask ......wear it for everything....wear it all the time if you want to.  It’s THE number one way to prevent cancers.  No one can dispute that.  I’ll buy into everything else but if you’re not wearing mask a towel or shower is not going to help you.  Dangerous enough job.   Retire ASAP and enjoy as much  life as you can.  BTW, I’m not old or grumpy but I am sarcastic.....that’s why I come on here

Offline 8060rock

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2018, 10:53:37 AM »
My apologies - I musta been looking in the mirror when "old & grumpy" came to mind - well, old anyway

Offline t123ken

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2018, 07:18:48 PM »
How old is not "old"?

Offline 8060rock

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 07:27:52 PM »
Guess that is in the eye of the beholder

Offline dan

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2018, 01:02:16 PM »
RECUPERATION AND CARE (RAC) UNIT
RAC unit personnel shall report their arrival to and be guided by the instructions of the Incident
Commander unless a RAC Officer has been designated or Rebab Manager (RM01) has been assigned.
Unless otherwise ordered, the responding RAC Unit shall not be directed to return to quarters on
receipt of "Probably Will Hold" or "Under Control" from the Incident Commander.
-    One (1) RAC Unit will respond to 10-75, Signal 7-5 and doubtful fires, 2nd Alarms, 10-60,
10-76, 10-77, and when special called by the Incident Commander. At an expanding or extended
operation, additional RAC Units may be special called. When a RAC Unit responding to an incident is
manned by one Firefighter, this unit will notify the Borough Dispatcher that they are undermanned
or responding with one Firefighter and the Dispatcher will assign an additional RAC Unit (Total 2)
to the incident.
-    Two (Total 2) RAC Units will respond to 3rd Alarms or greater if not already assigned.

RAC Unit Response Chart

UNIT     LOCATION     RESPONSE AREA
RA01      Marine 1            BC’s 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, 32
RA02      Ladder 102         BC’s 28, 31, 35, 37, 38, 41, 44, 45 (Bklyn),
                                        48 (DC11 & DC15), 57, 58
RA03      Rescue 3            Rescue 3’s Response Area
RA04      Engine 314         BC’s 39, 47,
                                        50, 51, 52, 53, 54
RA05      Marine 9            BC’s 21, 22, 23, 33, 40, 42, 43, 48 (DC08)
RA06      SOC HQ            BC’s 8, 10, 12, 45 (Qns & Manh), 46, 49

Rehab Manager (RM01)
The Rehab Manager responds to 2nd Alarms or greater and 10-60 or when special called by the
Incident Commander. CADS designation RM01.

Offline enginecap

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2018, 01:29:01 PM »
What rank is the light duty Rehab Manager?