Author Topic: 7/18/18 HUDSON YARDS FIREHOUSE  (Read 3611 times)

Offline guitarman314

• Photobucket
7/18/18 HUDSON YARDS FIREHOUSE
« on: July 18, 2018, 02:32:48 PM »
http://laborpress.org/hudson-yards-firehouse-faux-pas-and-the-fight-to-save-the-american-middle-class/

Nycfire.net

7/18/18 HUDSON YARDS FIREHOUSE
« on: July 18, 2018, 02:32:48 PM »

Offline 68jk09

Re: 7/18/18 HUDSON YARDS FIREHOUSE
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 04:31:21 AM »
SO ... Hudson Yards is opening Friday 3-15-19 (the Grand Opening Ceremony is Thurs night 3-14-19.....WHERE ARE THE ADDITIONAL SERVICES THAT SHOULD BE PROVIDED ? ...WTF ? ...WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE ?

Offline CFDMarshal

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 08:18:10 AM »
The outrage comes after the first big incident with loss of life. Just pray it is not any members!

Offline tem217

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 08:23:57 AM »
at the least..
they should have incorporated a firehouse in their complex and placed Engine Co. 26 there. 
where E.26 is now located in the middle of W.37 st. it takes them forever just to get out of Quarters.
jmo

Offline memory master

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 02:35:09 PM »
My dad was detailed a few times to 26 and he related how on some nearby class 3's the Officer would start walking and the 3 or 4 back step members would walk carrying rolled-ups as the MPO tried to eventually get the rig down the street.

Offline manhattan

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 06:06:05 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-13/hudson-yards-will-stretch-firefighters-fdny-union-chief-says

Interesting that this should appear in Bloomberg media since it was the Bloomberg administration that should have foreseen and planned for the need for additional fire, police and EMS coverage for this new city-within-a-city.  Disgraceful.

Offline manhattan

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 01:53:07 PM »

Offline FDNYSTATENISLAND

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 11:48:39 PM »
Wonder what the first calls for E34/TL21 will be in Hudson Yards after today’s official opening. They seem First Due? Even MORE EMS for E34 with 55,000 people per day expected.

Offline STAjo

• Former NY State EMT, NYC Security, Buff
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2019, 12:45:06 AM »
https://www.crainsnewyork.com/real-estate/firefighters-union-slams-lack-firehouse-hudson-yards

Firefighters union slams lack of firehouse in Hudson Yards

Comment by Reader in above listed piece:
Edward C. Greenberg  Straighttalklocal • 13 hours ago
Most calls to fire fighters in NYC do not involve fires but rather accidents, medical emergencies etc. If I am incorrect I welcome being corrected.
There are fewer fires in a city of 8.6 million in 2018 than there were 100 years ago in a city with 1/2 the population.

80% of all calls to the FDNY are for emergencies unrelated to fires. 3% are to fight fires.
There were 41,000 fires in NYC in 2017.
[Emphasis (bold)  mine, jw ]

I'm just Guessing  - but I Think the 80 - 3% Remark is Incorrect,   ???
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 12:46:49 AM by STAjo »

Offline tem217

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 01:21:05 AM »
https://www.crainsnewyork.com/real-estate/firefighters-union-slams-lack-firehouse-hudson-yards

Firefighters union slams lack of firehouse in Hudson Yards

Comment by Reader in above listed piece:
Edward C. Greenberg  Straighttalklocal • 13 hours ago
Most calls to fire fighters in NYC do not involve fires but rather accidents, medical emergencies etc. If I am incorrect I welcome being corrected.
There are fewer fires in a city of 8.6 million in 2018 than there were 100 years ago in a city with 1/2 the population.

80% of all calls to the FDNY are for emergencies unrelated to fires. 3% are to fight fires.
There were 41,000 fires in NYC in 2017.
[Emphasis (bold)  mine, jw ]

I'm just Guessing  - but I Think the 80 - 3% Remark is Incorrect,   ???

to Edward c. Greenberg...was your statement regarding fires and emergencies addressed to the insurance companies cost effective when it came time to purchase property insurance.

Offline manhattan

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2019, 02:58:52 AM »
Why would I care if "Most calls to fire fighters in NYC do not involve fires but rather accidents, medical emergencies etc"?  If I need critical help, I need critical help immediately and don't really care who's there when I need them as long as they're properly trained, equipped, led and drilled, and no one beats FDNY, NYC EMS and NYPD.  How many additional cops have been assigned to the 10 and MTS Precincts, CRG, CTB and other units for coverage of this new "city-within-a-city"?  How many additional EMT's have been assigned to Station 7?  How many additional companies have been formed for FDNY coverage?

Sorry, but why would anyone with half an ounce of sense be concerned with how many of which types of calls FD responds to? 

Not to be cynical, but might this be the thought of someone connected to the developers?

If I've misread the point of that post, I apologize.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 04:01:52 AM by manhattan »

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2019, 09:30:24 AM »
Why would I care if "Most calls to fire fighters in NYC do not involve fires but rather accidents, medical emergencies etc"?  If I need critical help, I need critical help immediately and don't really care who's there when I need them as long as they're properly trained, equipped, led and drilled, and no one beats FDNY, NYC EMS and NYPD.  How many additional cops have been assigned to the 10 and MTS Precincts, CRG, CTB and other units for coverage of this new "city-within-a-city"?  How many additional EMT's have been assigned to Station 7?  How many additional companies have been formed for FDNY coverage?

Sorry, but why would anyone with half an ounce of sense be concerned with how many of which types of calls FD responds to? 

Not to be cynical, but might this be the thought of someone connected to the developers?

If I've misread the point of that post, I apologize.

An interesting comparison.

If Hudson Yards ONLY were a city in Connecticut, it would be the states SIXTEENTH (16th) LARGEST CITY.

I would also guess that population density has a huge effect on required city services whether it be police, fire, ems, sanitation, schools, mass transit, and hospitals.

Of course Hudson Yards Development does NOT count a place like Long Island City (Queens), which is another newly created city within a city. From the FDR Drive in Manhattan, across the East River reminds me of the view as you enter downtown Boston.

Offline CFDMarshal

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2019, 04:22:52 PM »
Back in the old days when ISO would calculate the number of engine and truck companies needed in an area due to fire load and life safety calculation. My best guesstimate would be 4 engines and at least 2 but likely 3 truck companies would be needed just for the Hudson Yard Project. Of course fire suppression systems and such could take away from that but that is only for fire. Now the department attends tons of other emergencies, the largest being EMS. My guess is that it will keep 3 medic units occupied 24/7. Thoughts?