Author Topic: Engine 165  (Read 12033 times)

capthale

Re: Engine 165
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2018, 12:42:06 PM »
Thx

Nycfire.net

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2018, 12:42:06 PM »

capthale

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2018, 12:45:09 PM »
I bet squad 8 gets rescue 5 bread truck for the interim until they get a new second piece.

capthale

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2018, 03:46:21 PM »
I mentioned early that Ferrara was making a New hmtu unit according to faj it was delivered but nor assigned now Iím thinking it would go to squad 8 was it gets outfitted. The article states itís a little different then the regular hmtu second piece so Iím guessing maybe fdny is going with the custom 4 door rather then the freighliner. Maybe it will hold up a little better then the freight liners I hope.

Offline 4 truck

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2018, 08:48:06 PM »
So you have inside info that states the frieghtliners arenít holding up that well???

capthale

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2018, 09:03:15 PM »
Freightliners in general

Offline TLTruckie

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2018, 10:42:22 AM »
Well the Capt of that hmtu engine requested it for s reason that was to carry the extra gear I donít think they were trying to. A squad most  fire Dept are going rescue style engines anyways I bet in five Years fdny goes to an all rescue style engine. Iím just surprised the other hmtu engines didnít ask for one too
I highly doubt that, the squad style rigs have some drawbacks , the two major ones are they are longer then the regular engines , so squeezing into tight place or trying to get on a hydrant and out of the way is very difficult for some of the Squads . Not totally sure but I believe they are at lest 3' longer . Three feet is a lot when your trying to get on a hydrant and keep your ass end from sticking out into the street .

The second issue is the hose beds , they carry a lot less hose then normal engines and only three beds of hose off the back step ...only one 1 3/4 bed !  Being third due to on of the Squads truly sucks ! There's no pulling just past the fire building and dropping TWO 1 3/4 lines and driving to the hydrant (Back stretching). Most of the engines that are second or third due to a Squad have to carry lengths of folded up 1 3/4 hose , hump then to the back step of the Squad and hand connect their folded up hose then hand stretch to the front of the fire building.. A true pain in the ass and a delay in getting the
second line into operation .

Engine Ops is still the bread n butter of the HMTU Engine company , so I'm pretty sure those Capt would perfer a normal rig and get the wet stuff on the red stuff much easier !
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 10:53:03 AM by TLTruckie »

capthale

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2018, 11:04:11 AM »
Thank you for enlightening me

Offline FDNYSTATENISLAND

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2018, 11:14:10 AM »
Well the Capt of that hmtu engine requested it for s reason that was to carry the extra gear I donít think they were trying to. A squad most  fire Dept are going rescue style engines anyways I bet in five Years fdny goes to an all rescue style engine. Iím just surprised the other hmtu engines didnít ask for one too
I highly doubt that, the squad style rigs have some drawbacks , the two major ones are they are longer then the regular engines , so squeezing into tight place or trying to get on a hydrant and out of the way is very difficult for some of the Squads . Not totally sure but I believe they are at lest 3' longer . Three feet is a lot when your trying to get on a hydrant and keep your ass end from sticking out into the street .

The second issue is the hose beds , they carry a lot less hose then normal engines and only three beds of hose off the back step ...only one 1 3/4 bed !  Being third due to on of the Squads truly sucks ! There's no pulling just past the fire building and dropping TWO 1 3/4 lines and driving to the hydrant (Back stretching). Most of the engines that are second or third due to a Squad have to carry lengths of folded up 1 3/4 hose , hump then to the back step of the Squad and hand connect their folded up hose then hand stretch to the front of the fire building.. A true pain in the ass and a delay in getting the

Engine Ops is still the bread n butter of the HMTU Engine company , so I'm pretty sure those Capt would perfer a normal rig and get the wet stuff on the red stuff much easier !
I never realized that companies than run in with E165 had to do this simply to stretch lines. Namely E162, E159, E161, E163 all companies that run in 2nd-3rd Due with 165. Iím sure when 165 gets 154s old rig, itíll be a flashback to simpler times when at a job 😂

Offline turk132

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2018, 11:36:43 AM »

I have been out for a while, but the Squads in the Bronx carried folded up lengths of 1 3/4" hose with a nozzle and reducer in the roll up compartment on the backstep for a second line. There was no need for 2nd or 3rd due to bring hose to the rig for a second line.

Offline TLTruckie

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2018, 11:49:50 AM »

I have been out for a while, but the Squads in the Bronx carried folded up lengths of 1 3/4" hose with a nozzle and reducer in the roll up compartment on the backstep for a second line. There was no need for 2nd or 3rd due to bring hose to the rig for a second line.
That may still be true , not sure either but either way it's more work for the second or third due eng.

capthale

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2018, 02:08:56 PM »
Whatís the reason for the other engines to bring there hose is there not enough on a engines e to run a second line? I know there safety and back up issues if the engine fails but it sound like the end of the world to have to stretch a line if thereís a squad first due

Offline BCR

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2018, 03:06:00 PM »
They have to bring there line because here isnít another 1 3/4 line on the squad style rigs. All engine companyís hose beds have a bed of 3 1/2 inch hose, a bed of 2 1/2 inch hose and 2 seperate beds of 6 lengths of 1 3/4 attached to 2 1/2. The Squad rigs only have 1 bed of the 1 3/4. When the engines are first in and pump the job the engine can drop the 2 - 1 3/4 lines and lay away to a hydrant. The second or 3rd due company will then operate the second line. The squad rigs donít have that ability so for a second line to get in place the 2nd or 3rd due company has to pull hose off there rig and drag it down the block to connect to the squad. Extremely time consuming especially on tight streets where he second or third due may be parked.

capthale

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2018, 03:12:58 PM »
Ok got it make sense now thx

Offline TLTruckie

« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2018, 07:21:00 PM »
The second or third due eng will have to disconnect the nozzle on the 2 1/2 " hose bed and connect a reducer and the needed lengths of 1 3/4" hose & nozzle. Then hand stretch back to the front of the fire building , as aposed to just walking up to the front of the building and finding the second line waiting for you in the street just feet from the front door.

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2018, 08:46:45 PM »
I am not sure how many ENGs drop 2 lines IFO the bldg anymore (& that would not be necessary if the Hydrant was in close proximity) however i remember when i was in BN*46 & SQ*288  received a new Rescue Pumper they had 2 lengths of 1 3/4 with a 15/16ths Nozzle & Reducer attached in the compartment below the Hose Bed (in the rear step area where the old Booster Reel used to be located on pre 1987 ENGs).....this simplified the 2nd stretch & was a point i always brought out whenever i would have a conversation with a Covering Officer was working in the area......just another fact like making sure Members from other Units  knew where the Tormentor controls were located on one of the few remaining Tiller Rigs... (they were on the Turntable back then) .