Author Topic: Veterans Day Ceremony  (Read 1825 times)

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
Veterans Day Ceremony
« on: October 16, 2018, 08:41:56 AM »
 Every year, this site's member "manhattan", aka Frank M., honors Our U.S. Military Veterans in lower Manhattan at the "Chelsea Veterans Memorial", located at 27th St and Ninth Ave in Manhattan. There are religious representatives, members of the NYPD and FDNY there as well.

As I understand it, this years event is scheduled to take place on Monday November 12th beginning at 10:00 hours. Frank ask for our support to honor these veterans who have served Our Country.

I hope to attend this year and if any member of this site would be able to join us, please let us know. For those coming from outside the city, we can set up a meeting place and go there using mass transit.

I would also like to add, as many of you know, Frank (manhattan) has played a major role in also setting up the Father Judge Walk every September. He has been a very good friend and supporter to the FDNY, NYPD, and the Military (I believe once serving Our Country in the U.S. Coast Guard himself). He has been a regular contributor to this site as well.

Frank won't pat himself on the back for all that he does.... "SO I WILL". I know that nothing would make him more happy than to see a nice turnout from members of this site to honor our veterans on November 12th. So if you can make it, we can make some plans. Just send me (NFD2004) or Frank (manhattan) a message on here and we'll get things started.

Nycfire.net

Veterans Day Ceremony
« on: October 16, 2018, 08:41:56 AM »

Offline manhattan

Re: Veterans Day Ceremony
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 12:24:37 AM »
Bill,

Your very kind words are deeply appreciated.  Two corrections Iíd like to make are that the ceremony will begin at 1100 hours and that I play a very minor role in the Fr. Judge Walk.  There are many other people who do the heavy lifting.

I look forward to seeing you there and I hope that as many site members as possible can attend and perhaps bring family and friends.  Unfortunately, as happened for the last few years, a couple of people in the neighborhood would be happier if the event didnít take place, so the greater the turnout, the better.  In a couple of weeks Iíll be sending out a flyer confirming time and other details.

Thanks again, Bill.

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 11:27:39 PM »
 REMINDER - Monday November 12th, starting at 11:00 am - Chelsea Veterans Memorial in Manhattan, at 27th St and Ninth Ave to honor our veterans.

Along with Military members, there are also members of the FDNY, NYPD, Clergy, and other officials in attendance.

As in the past, this site's member "manhattan", aka Frank M., is the keynote speaker in honoring these veterans and he ask if possible, for any of us to join him in this Veterans Day Event.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 02:55:59 PM »
Every year, this site's member "manhattan", aka Frank M., honors Our U.S. Military Veterans in lower Manhattan at the "Chelsea Veterans Memorial", located at 27th St and Ninth Ave in Manhattan. There are religious representatives, members of the NYPD and FDNY there as well.

As I understand it, this years event is scheduled to take place on Monday November 12th beginning at 10:00 hours. Frank ask for our support to honor these veterans who have served Our Country.

I hope to attend this year and if any member of this site would be able to join us, please let us know. For those coming from outside the city, we can set up a meeting place and go there using mass transit.

I would also like to add, as many of you know, Frank (manhattan) has played a major role in also setting up the Father Judge Walk every September. He has been a very good friend and supporter to the FDNY, NYPD, and the Military (I believe once serving Our Country in the U.S. Coast Guard himself). He has been a regular contributor to this site as well.

Frank won't pat himself on the back for all that he does.... "SO I WILL". I know that nothing would make him more happy than to see a nice turnout from members of this site to honor our veterans on November 12th. So if you can make it, we can make some plans. Just send me (NFD2004) or Frank (manhattan) a message on here and we'll get things started.

Pictures from last year's event:

All are encouraged to participate.

Offline manhattan

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 01:36:21 AM »
The Honor of Your Company

is requested

at the

Annual Chelsea Veterans Day Ceremony

On Monday, 12 November 2018

at 11:00 AM

27th Street and Ninth Avenue, New York, New York 

The Ceremony will last approximately fifteen minutes

Please inform your friends and acquaintances, especially those who are Merchant Mariners, Military Veterans, Active Duty, Reserve, National Guard, ROTC or the family or friends of those who have served, or currently serve.

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 07:23:19 PM »
NYPD CAMO CAR FOR VETERANS DAY 2018..... (scroll down)...     https://twitter.com/nypdcommaffairs

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 09:37:18 PM »
 Thank you very much Frank M., aka "manhattan" - as most here know you. Thank you for setting up and organizing the Veterans Day Ceremony of 2018 as you have done so in the past.

Your effort and tribute to the men and woman who have served this country is GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Your speech was nothing short of EXCELLENT as you talked of World War I and the wars following that. In that speech you included thanks to the members of the NYPD, FDNY, and EMS who also serve. Yet along the way, much has changed over those many years since WW I. The procedures might different, the tactics might be different, the equipment might be different, even the uniforms might be different. Yet, those individuals all share the duties of serving and protecting others.

Frank without a doubt you did a GREAT Job and you are to be HIGHLY COMMENDED For What YOU Do.

THANK YOU

I was able to find these two news stories from CBS Local News in New York regarding todays (Nov 12th) event.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 10:54:03 PM »
Thank you Frank.  Great job!

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 10:08:36 PM »
 Any info on a Veterans Day ceremony at The Chelsea Veterans Memorial in Manhattan at 27th St and 9th Ave for this year, 2019.

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 09:37:42 AM »
Any info on a Veterans Day ceremony at The Chelsea Veterans Memorial in Manhattan at 27th St and 9th Ave for this year, 2019.

I received an email from this site member Frank M., aka "manhattan", regarding this years 2019 Annual Chelsea Veterans Day Ceremony, taking place on Monday November 11th.

Frank has been very busy lately so he asked me to let the members of this site know that this years Veterans Day Ceremony will once again be held at the Chelsea Veterans Memorial site, located at 27th St and Ninth Ave, beginning at 10:00 AM.

He said a parade will also follow at Madison Square Park at 11:00 am.

This year the pastor from the nearby church is going to have three large (3' x 3') memorials showing photos of about 200 men from that parish who served in World War I.

Frank would like to see any members of this site there, who might be able to make it that day. There are always members of the FDNY and NYPD who also come to Honor these veterans.

We are very fortunate to have with us, a member of this site, who dedicates so much of his time to Honor Our U.S. Military Veterans. Of course he is also very involved in the Annual Father Judge Walk.

Thanks Frank, "manhattan", for what you do and when you get a chance, come back and join us once again.   

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 03:12:58 PM »
THE FLYER FROM FRANK.......The Honor of Your Company

is requested at the

Annual Chelsea Veterans Day Ceremony

Monday, 11 November 2019

at 10:00 AM
27th Street and Ninth Avenue, New York, New York

The Ceremony will last approximately fifteen minutes

Please inform your friends and acquaintances, especially those who are Merchant Mariners, Military Veterans, Active Duty, Reserve, National Guard, ROTC or the family or friends of those who have served, or currently serve

Offline manhattan

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 10:47:04 PM »
Thanks for posting this, Chief!  It's much appreciated and I hope you and some of the other Site members will be able to join us.

The first time I organized the event about nine years ago, 35 people from the neighborhood attended.  Last year there were about 140.  One of the Fr. Judge Organizers is kind enough to reach out to FDNY and the entire Seventh Battalion usually turns out.   (That's in addition to some guy who claims to drive all the way down from someplace called "Connecticut" and has Dunkin' Donut crumbs on his shirt while he scoffs down McD burgers). 

This year the pastor of St. Columba, the local parish, will have on display three memorials showing photos of the men - just from the parish, not the entire neighborhood - who went off to war 102 years ago (and Chelsea had about eight parishes at the time).  There were over 200 of them and 20 didn't return.  Unfortunately that memorial of the LODDs is in bad shape and can't leave the rectory until it's restored, but I plan to read the names, addresses and dates of death of each of those 20.

I have to note here the tremendous support I receive each year from Chief Nilda Hofmann of NYPD Community Affairs, the C.O. of the 10 Precinct, Capt. Kevin Coleman, Sgt. Efrain Perez from CTB and the 10 Precinct Auxiliary Coordinator, P.O. Ramon Sandoval.  A real lady and three absolute gentlemen, outstanding cops and real professionals who have a grand understanding of what police work is really all about in its entirety.  They each deserve our prayers for safe tours.

That's it in a nutshell.  Once again, many thanks for posting it on here, Chief, and for all you've done to help me in the past.  (And thanks to that guy from someplace called "Connecticut" - he's a very good man also!)

PS - I hear you were speaking with a friend (from ?Rescue 5?) of Capt. JB (Fr. Judge Walk) recently.  And here I thought I was keeping a low profile!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 10:25:28 AM by manhattan »

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2019, 08:43:12 AM »
Thanks for posting this, Chief!  It's much appreciated and I hope you and some of the other Site members will be able to join us.

The first time I organized the event about nine years ago, 35 people from the neighborhood attended.  Last year there were about 140.  One of the Fr. Judge Organizers is kind enough to reach out to FDNY and the entire Seventh Battalion usually turns out.   (That's in addition to some guy who claims to drive all the way down from someplace called "Connecticut" and has Dunkin' Donut crumbs on his shirt while he scoffs down McD burgers). 

This year the pastor of St. Columba, the local parish, will have on display three memorials showing photos of the men - just from the parish, not the entire neighborhood - who went off to war 102 years ago (and Chelsea had about eight parishes at the time).  There were over 200 of them and 20 didn't return.  Unfortunately that memorial of the LODDs is in bad shape and can't leave the rectory until it's restored, but I plan to read the names, addresses and dates of death of each of those 20.

I have to note here the tremendous support I receive each year from Chief Nilda Hofmann of NYPD Community Affairs, the C.O. of the 10 Precinct, Capt. Kevin Coleman, Sgt. Efrain Perez from CTB and the 10 Precinct Auxiliary Coordinator, P.O. Ramon Sandoval.  A real lady and tree absolute gentlemen, outstanding cops and real professionals who have a grand understanding of what police work is really all about in its entirety.  They each deserve our prayers for safe tours.

That's it in a nutshell.  Once again, many thanks for posting it on here, Chief, and for all you've done to help me in the past.  (And thanks to that guy from someplace called "Connecticut" - he's a very good man also!)

PS - I hear you were speaking with a friend (from ?Rescue 5?) of Capt. JB (Fr. Judge Walk) recently.  And here I thought I was keeping a low profile!

THANK YOU Frank, aka "manhattan", for all you do for Our Veterans, the NYPD, and the FDNY. That includes this ceremony every year and the Father Judge Walk that you are always involved in.

I have also seen the support that the members of the NYPD and the FDNY give during these ceremonies.

I hope that members from this site will also be a part of this event held to honor Our U.S. Military Veterans.

My only hope is that if that guy from Connecticut gets down there this year, he doesn't have all those Dunkin Donuts crumbs on his shirt, while wolfing down a couple of those McDs Big Macs. 

Willy D (NFD2004)
 Norwich, Ct
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 08:48:44 AM by nfd2004 »

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2019, 02:40:09 AM »
NEVER FORGET THOSE WHO SERVED TO MAKE WHAT WE HAVE TODAY A REALITY !...... TELL A YOUNGSTER WHAT TODAY MEANS ....     
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterans_Day
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 02:43:13 AM by 68jk09 »

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2019, 08:15:20 AM »
 It is the time of the year that we HONOR OUR MILITARY VETERANS.

We have veterans among us who served in Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan.

They served in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard and National Guard.

They served during Peace Time and in War Time

They all gave up so much for us. How do we THANK These guys and gals for what they've done ?

In a few weeks we will celebrate Thanksgiving Day. A time to get together with our friends and family members to be thankful for what we have.

But, if not for Our U.S. Military Veterans, there might not be any Thanksgiving Holiday to celebrate.

There is One Very Special U.S. Veteran that I would like to mention here. During the FDNY War Years, we would often chase the fires together. Some of the guys here have met him. His name is Ken Kelly, a Veteran of WW II and he is 95 years old. He told me that the other day when I spoke with him.

To Kenny and ALL the Veterans - THANK YOU.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 11:22:20 AM by nfd2004 »

anything