Author Topic: Ladder 29 - Tower Ladder to Rearmount  (Read 567 times)

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
Ladder 29 - Tower Ladder to Rearmount
« on: November 06, 2018, 08:42:51 PM »
 A discussion came up recently about Ladder 29 in the Bronx going from a Tower Ladder to a Rearmount Ladder truck.

As I understand it, the added weight of the Tower Ladder vs the Rearmount Ladder would NOT allow that apparatus to cross over the Willis Ave Bridge etc. Is that the reason why that was done ?

That led us to another discussion about when Ladder 14 was the ALF - LTI rearmount.

We remember seeing Ladder 163, a similar type of apparatus to TL 14 at that time in the Bronx. But as close as TL 14 was to areas of the South Bronx, we NEVER remember seeing it at any Bronx jobs.

However, we do remember seeing Queens Ladder 163 at many of those jobs in the South Bronx.

Was that due to the weight of Ladder 14 crossing those smaller bridges ?

Nycfire.net

Ladder 29 - Tower Ladder to Rearmount
« on: November 06, 2018, 08:42:51 PM »

Offline Nasibova

Re: Ladder 29 - Tower Ladder to Rearmount
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 09:39:15 PM »
interesting, good questions...

Offline 811

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 07:35:51 AM »
I believe it was the low level bridge that was once just outside and south of the entrance to Randalls Island Training Academy.  The bridge once crossed a waterway known as Little Hell Gate which separated Randalls and Wards Islands.  The waterway is now filled in, and the islands fused into one.  This low level bridge was, I believe, in the famous police roadblock scene at the conclusion of "The French Connection" or another such movie.

Hell Gate railroad bridge passed over both islands.  As you enter the "Rock" there are some inverted bowstring trusses beneath track level of the bridge.  These also once spanned Little Hell Gate. If photo attaches correctly, that low level bridge is at lower right,  view is looking toward Queens.

Offline memory master

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 08:35:54 AM »
Yes it was "The French Connection."