Author Topic: Books on the "War Years"  (Read 23304 times)

Offline R1SmokeEater

Re: Books on the "War Years"
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 04:18:50 PM »
U R Correct 2 books, 1 on YFD, 1 on FDNY, have both :)

Bill, Tommy did 3-books: 1.FDNY New Yorks Bravest in conjunction w/George Hall, 2.Fire in Focus (Yonkers/FDNY/Etc), and 3.FIRE- At War with the Red Devil (Yonkers,FDNY,Etc) I knew Tom, he hung out at the Firehouse, moved to Carolinas and passed a few years back.

Nycfire.net

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 04:18:50 PM »

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 10:05:06 PM »
Several books currently available here:

http://www.fire-police-ems.com/books/3250.shtml

Offline kristensen

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 04:28:32 PM »
Mike, What about "Yours" called "New York City's Bravest", with by far, what I consider to be the Best War Years Photos out there. I'm quite sure others will agree.

http://fdnysbravest.com
There's a copy of mike's book for sale on amazon. $ 1.122,35 and 3,99 for the shipping. Wonder how the seller came up with that exact price.

Mike; How about a reprint?

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 06:45:42 PM »
There's a copy of mike's book for sale on amazon. $ 1.122,35 and 3,99 for the shipping. Wonder how the seller came up with that exact price.

Mike; How about a reprint?
[/quote]

Is that $1,122.35 for Mikes Book ???? WOW, Mike did you ever think that ? I think when I bought your book it was $20 or $25.00.

Also on Amazon, the book "Fire Dept City of New York (FDNY) the Bravest. An Illustrated History 1865-2002" is selling "Used" for $999.00 . I think I paid $32.50 for it on Amazon.

If Most of us only invested in those books instead of stocks, bonds, gold, and real estate. Our portfolio would be quite different today.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 07:01:26 PM by nfd2004 »

Offline engine6

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 08:56:52 PM »
Hello everyone. Two of the best books on the wars years are When the Bronx burned and The Usual. both by ret Lt John Finucane. I think he was with 85 Engine. Go to Whenthebronxburned.com and there is a good story line leading to the book. Thanks enjoy

Offline grumpy grizzly

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2010, 06:22:50 PM »
Yeah but would you really sell it? ;D
FAC 20 TASS 68-69 SVN. Hue/PhuBai , Boston Spark from 71-79, Chicago 79-15, Bloomington/Normal 2015- present

mmattyphoto

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 10:40:24 AM »
Holy S###! I have (3) of them!!!!

Offline mikeindabronx

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 11:10:33 AM »
Holy S###! I have (3) of them!!!!

Holy S###!  You have more copies than I do!

Bigandy

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 11:17:07 AM »
Share the wealth Matty! Share the wealth!

mmattyphoto

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 04:27:18 PM »
Sorry guys I only have (2) copies. The one I have is the one FDNY actually put out called FDNY The Bravest 1865 to 2000. This is the book with Mayor Giuliani and FC Von Essen also this is the leather bound Commemorative Edition.

Offline mgk110

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 01:03:37 AM »
Great info on this thread. Thank you to all that posted.

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2010, 05:28:58 PM »
Hello everyone. Two of the best books on the wars years are When the Bronx burned and The Usual. both by ret Lt John Finucane. I think he was with 85 Engine. Go to Whenthebronxburned.com and there is a good story line leading to the book. Thanks enjoy

Reading the book "Usual" now. It is a Great Book. I had it for awhile, just wasn't able to get to it. And of course, "When the Bronx Burned" is another.
  Really, I have NO IDEA how I ever made it through school. I don't think I ever read any book I was supposed to. If only these books that have been listed, were on my required reading list, a few decades ago, "I would have been an Honor Student".

Offline engine6

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2010, 06:59:37 PM »
Just purchased a book called The Fires by Joe Flood. Book is based on the war years period. The author states that using computer ( rand corporation), consultation and statistics the fire epidemic can be brought under control. I brought the book on a friend seeing an article in the NY post about the book. Any one read or have any info on how good the book is or not.  Thanks

Offline BFD389

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2010, 09:18:31 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. Two other books I enjoyed but do not contain many photos are

Ghetto Fire Fighter - Harry J. Ahearn
Thirty Years On The Line - Leo D.Stapleton  (Boston)

I've  never thought  of my self as  a HUGE  buff  But  To my  mind
Smith's  report from engine company 82 was something I literally read in one  weekend  sitting ..
His  "firehouse"  with Jill Freedman's  Photography  were  great it brought  the book even more to life
I have an autographed  copy  of  Ghetto Firefighter  By Ahern
I also have  Fiscane's  last  book on his E 85  days, unfortunately  it was  30 years  after  smith  did his,, you know?
20,000 alarms   was awesome  because I knew a guy who  told me the story of how  17 trucks  company Johnny got a medal and told me the story  from his  persective and when i  actually read  Hamiltons  version it was pretty cool...

Any of  you  old  schoolers ever seen  "as YOu Passby?"

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2010, 09:49:36 PM »
Jim (BFD389), welcome aboard. Those are some Great Books. We can relate to a lot of that as we were there in the streets of the South Bronx and Harlem back in the day. I hope you'll check out "mikeindabronx" pictures on www.fdnysbravest.com as he was there too.
  Jim (BFD389) and I  buffed the South Bronx streets together many a night. He's had several years as a Bridgeport Firefighter and also plays in the Bagpipe Band at several Fire Dept functions and funerals. I met my old friend several weeks ago where I learned that he credits the Milford (Ct) Fire Dept and their medics with saving his life after suffering a very serious medical condition.
  Well Jim, it looks like over those many years, we've read a lot of the same books. Only I never got any autographs.
  Just one more thing. There are some really Great people on this site. Some FDNY active and retired members, Dispatchers, EMS, firefighters from other cities, and plenty of Great People all with the same interest. Take my word for it Jim, you'll enjoy the site and get to know some real good people.
  Please, just don't tell them how I used to ask you to make those ice cream runs when you used to visit me at Norwich FDs "Greenville Hilton". Okay. Thanks buddy!!!!