Author Topic: Chief Leonard Stepping Down?????  (Read 2093 times)

Online raybrag

Chief Leonard Stepping Down?????
« on: December 04, 2018, 01:16:40 PM »
https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-metro-power-shake-up-fdny-20181203-story.html?fbclid=IwAR0i_-7uxzjFLeqidItdGdxZLu408OLNu7r-y4OgRRjiIv6dFiLOjSsCs8Y
Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

Nycfire.net

Chief Leonard Stepping Down?????
« on: December 04, 2018, 01:16:40 PM »

Offline memory master

Re: Chief Leonard Stepping Down?????
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 03:16:44 PM »
I don't see him "stepping down." Maybe forced down but not without a fight and a lot of yelling. JMHO

Offline fdny747

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 09:35:52 PM »
This is what you get when you have a Democratic Liberal who has never been a Firefighter before being a Dept. Commissioner

Offline RayH

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 02:53:23 AM »
This is what you get when you have a Democratic Liberal who has never been a Firefighter before being a Dept. Commissioner
Damn you promoted her faster than time, LOL (Yet true sidenote: On the 8th/Executive Floor of HQ, all Dep. Cmsrs are referred to as Cmsr. when they appear before one.)
This article should have had the whimsical headline Car 2 vs. Car 3, as with [the agency formerly known as] OEM and the NYPD, the FDC role was always a titular and snooze position.  In the FDNY, the only one who made that FDC position grand and who garnered respect from his rank and file was the late and great Cmsr. Bill Feehan.  Not only was Cmsr. Feehan a former firefighter, officer and COD but he was an exemplary leader.  Only in these modern days of inclusion of genders into the ranks does the idea of elevating a Dep. Cmsr. in charge of government affairs and community affairs to the FDC role happen.  The Cmsr. having named his top aide, a female, to be his left hand should have sufficed.  OEM and the NYPD have Black-Americans as their FDC, he could have easily had promoted some Black-American fire officer to appease the FDNY Vulcan Society to the FDC role or even better a Hispanic to the role but noooo he went with a female and this clash of an inexperienced in fire ops Car 2 vs. a qualified and experienced Car 3 is the result.
Former FDNY DCPI Intern; Office Title: Deputy Press Secretary

Offline fdny747

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 06:50:05 PM »
Yep and that is why things in this world are going down hill fast!  We are catering to Liberals

Offline JOR176

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 10:05:26 PM »
The party involved in this BS received the gift of Comm. because she was on Big Birds team for election to Mayor. enough said.

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 08:18:30 AM »
The party involved in this BS received the gift of Comm. because she was on Big Birds team for election to Mayor. enough said.

I agree Jack, and I think there's some very knowledgeable and respectable people who saw this kind of activity coming.

Jack, aka "JOR176", you and I go back a few years to when things were so much different. We did see many changes over the years within the FDNY as the department continued to strive to be the BEST - and as far as I'm concerned; "It Still Is".

But enter in a political supporter with zero fire department background, and I for one saw this coming. But, we are NOT alone, so did many others.

I would also like to add this, "I had the privilege of meeting the former Deputy Fire Commissioner, Bob Turner". A true gentleman and member of the FDNY who worked himself up through the ranks and fully understood his position. I think his replacement doesn't come close.

I don't speak here for anyone else. So my vote doesn't really count. Just my simple opinion from a guy who has followed, learned, and fully respected the leadership within the FDNY for many decades.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 08:20:43 AM by nfd2004 »

Offline capthale

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 10:06:29 AM »
 :D
.               Yup
Retired Merchant Marine Officer
U.S. Army Vet

Offline kidfrmqns

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 10:08:37 AM »
Damn you promoted her faster than time, LOL (Yet true sidenote: On the 8th/Executive Floor of HQ, all Dep. Cmsrs are referred to as Cmsr. when they appear before one.)
This article should have had the whimsical headline Car 2 vs. Car 3, as with [the agency formerly known as] OEM and the NYPD, the FDC role was always a titular and snooze position.  In the FDNY, the only one who made that FDC position grand and who garnered respect from his rank and file was the late and great Cmsr. Bill Feehan.  Not only was Cmsr. Feehan a former firefighter, officer and COD but he was an exemplary leader.  Only in these modern days of inclusion of genders into the ranks does the idea of elevating a Dep. Cmsr. in charge of government affairs and community affairs to the FDC role happen.  The Cmsr. having named his top aide, a female, to be his left hand should have sufficed.  OEM and the NYPD have Black-Americans as their FDC, he could have easily had promoted some Black-American fire officer to appease the FDNY Vulcan Society to the FDC role or even better a Hispanic to the role but noooo he went with a female and this clash of an inexperienced in fire ops Car 2 vs. a qualified and experienced Car 3 is the result.

I could be misreading this, but wasn't Chief Turner (Ret. Batt 46) the Dep Cmsr at one point? I believe he garnered the respect of the members.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 10:11:21 AM by kidfrmqns »

Online alycidon

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 12:51:08 PM »
Chief Leonard removed from post by Commissioner  Nigro
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 01:26:59 PM by alycidon »

Offline manhattan

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 07:46:08 PM »
https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-metro-fdny-james-leonard-fired-20181206-story.html

FDNY Chief of Department James Leonard relieved of duties over 'inappropriate behavior,' will fight for his job: sources

Offline RayH

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 08:09:28 PM »
Yep and that is why things in this world are going down hill fast!  We are catering to Liberals
Well put.
I could be misreading this, but wasn't Chief Turner (Ret. Batt 46) the Dep Cmsr at one point? I believe he garnered the respect of the members.
He was a great FDC but like present day Drayton at OEM and Tucker at the NYPD, he was made to appease not just the FDNY Vulcan Society but the city as a whole where it came to minorities in agency high-level positions.  I take no credit away from Tucker, my comment was made out of who was not only effective but who carried himself as a full commissioner at HQ with the backing of not only of the mayor and the FDNY Cmsr. but of the rank of file.  In addition, my comment refers literally to the past full 2 decades, if we had to rank the FDNY FDC, the late Feehan comes in first followed distantly by Tucker and then you have all of the bureaucrats with absolute no fire ops. experience who moved up from Dep. Cmsr. titles a farther third.  Kavanagh just has the backing of the mayor, I doubt highly Nigro was happy when City Hall him to elevate her.
Former FDNY DCPI Intern; Office Title: Deputy Press Secretary

Offline NPS-fire

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 03:01:58 PM »
Any updates on this? Is Sudnick still acting?

Offline memory master

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 06:53:33 AM »
Any updates on this? Is Sudnick still acting?
No and Yes.

anything