Author Topic: ALARM BOX Boston Resident Uses Fire Alarm Box When 911 System OOS for OMD Fire  (Read 454 times)

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
Boston has well-maintained fire alarm boxes and system.  A North End resident successful reported a structure fire at 5:14 AM when the 911 system was not operational statewide.

https://turnto10.com/news/local/boston-resident-uses-historic-fire-call-box-during-911-outage

BFD:

Response to 94 Endicott St. North End at approx. 5:14 AM for a  building fire. Smoke showing on arrival. Fire was quickly extinguished. Because of todayís 911 outage the resident pulled the fire box. Fortunately, our fire box system has been operational since 1852. No injuries.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 01:37:22 PM by mack »

Nycfire.net

Offline manhattan

Re: Boston Resident Uses Fire Alarm Box When 911 System OOS for OMD Fire
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 11:42:46 PM »
mack,

Iím not sure what you mean.  Are you suggesting that street alarm boxes should be considered critical infrastructure?  If so, how quaint.  Didnít Mr. Bloomberg and Mr. DeBlasio prove that technology will overcome all problems?  The fact that the cell phones and landlines were the first things to fail catastrophically on 11 September because of over-use is a mere rumor of a minor inconvenience.

By the way, thatís meant as pure sarcasm.

I find it interesting that the boxes in proximity to at least one NYC government leader near my home have been restored while those a couple of blocks away are essentially auxiliary garbage receptacles.

Disgraceful and potentially deadly, pure and simple.  Nothing will be resolved until some politically-connected in every neighborhood is injured or dies because of an inactivated alarm box.

Unbelievable that people have to die to prove a moronically simple point.

Offline STAjo

• Former NY State EMT, NYC Security, Buff

I Wonder: What's the Response for a Pulled-Box in Boston ?

Offline mack

• Global Moderator

I Wonder: What's the Response for a Pulled-Box in Boston ?

1 engine, 1 truck - for a box alarm.

Offline Signal73

• See You At The Big 1
Remember to take it coming in

anything