Author Topic: Re: FDNY Rescue 1 - UPDATE March 22  (Read 24839 times)

Offline Volvo N720

• Malmö Brandkår - Stadens Räddningskår
Re: FDNY Rescue 1 - UPDATE March 22
« on: January 15, 2019, 05:53:04 AM »
Hi friend!

Jonas from Sweden here! Thanks for letting me in!

I´m building Resue 1, Mack R/Providence 1971, in scale 1:25. The two gum balls are gonna be electric, also the ten round side lights will shine. I like it dirty. In the end of the 70´s it had a tired look. Hope you enjoying R1 so far  :)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 07:34:25 AM by Volvo N720 »

Nycfire.net

Re: FDNY Rescue 1 - UPDATE March 22
« on: January 15, 2019, 05:53:04 AM »

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
Re: FDNY Rescue 1
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 08:03:11 AM »
 "Volvo N720" - We welcome you to this web site.

From your pictures posted, your work looks amazing.

How did you get interested in the FDNY and what made you decide to construct this large project ?

Many of us here remember those mack "R" series that the FDNY ran during their busiest years of fire activity in the history of the department.

In my own case I was invited to ride as a guest with the members of Rescue Co 2 within the first few months of getting this new type of rescue rig. If I remember correctly, it was the first time the FDNY would be going from standard to automatic transmissions.

Those trucks were built to last.

Welcome Jonas and perhaps as time goes on you can tell us a little more about your project, as well as the fire service in your country of Sweden. I think a lot of us here would be interested in that.

Offline manhattan

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 09:23:40 AM »
Welcome to the site, Jonas.

Offline memory master

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 02:11:26 PM »
Welcome Sir and looking forward to your contributions. You picked a great site that is manned by even greater guys!

Offline Volvo N720

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 06:52:14 AM »
Thank you very much for your friendly welcoming  :)

I´m 56 yrs old and I´ve always been interested in EMS and fire/rescue. My home town is not big but not small either (with swedish messures). In the town is 47.000 people living and 87.000 in the county. The FD have 1500 calls/year, just fire and rescues. The EMS is private under the hospitals.

As so many others I read the famous book by Dennis Smith from 1972. And then came "Emergency", aired in swedish television in 1974. I´ve built some rescues from the show, also an ambulance from "Adam 12".

So now I continue with R1. A front bumper was made yesterday. Hope you like it  :) Also showing pics from my home towns older Engines and ladder. Also two ambulances of brand Chevrolet (1966) and Plymouth Belvedere (1968).

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 06:56:24 AM by Volvo N720 »

Offline raybrag

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 08:18:03 AM »
Your work is amazing.  What is your primary material?  Resin?
Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 08:22:47 AM »
 Ray, I think so too.

"Volvo N720" - Your story is similar to many here. In fact the town I live in (Norwich, Ct) is much like the city you live in when it comes to the local fire service and EMS.

Like so many of us as well, we also read the famous book called; "Report from Engine 82" by Dennis Smith in 1972. In fact we have members who worked as firefighters who fought the fires in that area during that time. Including the Captain of that company during those busy days, Bob M., aka *******, on this site. He has written some stories himself here in threads of the "History Section" such as "Remembrance" and in the thread called: "My Younger Buff Years", of which many members have contributed to with their stories and photos as well.

T.V. Shows such as "Emergency" and "Adam 12" were also once very popular here with many of us. I believe they have been covered in the "History Section" thread called "TV from a different time".

With us on this site, we also have a very special guy, who like yourself, builds model fire apparatus. His name is Tom E., aka "guitarman314", sometimes referred to as simply "G-man" for short.

I believe there is a special thread here devoted to him in the "Collector Section" called; "The very talented guitarman314". I think the link is:

http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php/topic,25738.0.html   

Also, in the "News of Members" thread, under the "News and Events" section is more information posted about his hobby of building model fire trucks on page 13, reply # 183 posted by member "manhattan".

Based on all of that, I think you might have come to the right place. Many of us here have become the best of personnel friends and we come from all walks of life. But ALL of us have an interest in the fire service, especially the FDNY. In fact, one of your neighbors as I see it, lives in Ireland who usually comes to visit us here about once a year. His name is Declan B., aka "Irish", on this site. A really GREAT GUY, himself a personnel friend to many of us here.

So "Volvo N720", I hope you will be able to find the time to read some of the above topics, in addition to continue with your fire department projects. Plus read the numerous daily topics presented by the members of this site.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 10:25:58 AM by nfd2004 »

Offline Bulldog

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 08:35:54 AM »
Like the others, I just want to comment on how beautiful your modeling work is. You are certainly a dedicated modeler with great abilities. All of your models look fantastic.

Based in your abilities I'm assuming you work in some kind of an artistic field?

Offline Volvo N720

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 11:24:48 AM »
Your work is amazing.  What is your primary material?  Resin?

Thanks Raybrag! Some resin parts but mostly in plastic. R1 cab is from a AMT kit but the body will be skratch built.

Offline Volvo N720

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 11:29:48 AM »
Ray, I think so too.

"Volvo N720" - Your story is similar to many here. In fact the town I live in (Norwich, Ct) is much like the city you live in when it comes to the local fire service and EMS.

Like so many of us as well, we also read the famous book called; "Report from Engine 82" by Dennis Smith in 1972. In fact we have members who worked as firefighters who fought the fires in that area during that time. Including the Captain of that company during those busy days, Bob M., aka *******, on this site. He has written some stories himself here in threads of the "History Section" such as "Remembrance" and in the thread called: "My Younger Buff Years", of which many members have contributed to with their stories and photos as well.

T.V. Shows such as "Emergency" and "Adam 12" were also once very popular here with many of us. I believe they have been covered in the "History Section" thread called "TV from a different time".

With us on this site, we also have a very special guy, who like yourself, builds model fire apparatus. His name is Tom E., aka "guitarman314", sometimes referred to as simply "G-man" for short.

I believe there is a special thread here devoted to him in the "Collector Section" called; "The very talented guitarman314". I think the link is:

http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php/topic,25738.0.html   

Also, in the "News of Members" thread, under the "News and Events" section is more information posted about his hobby of building model fire trucks on page 13, reply # 183 posted by member "manhattan".

Based on all of that, I think you might have come to the right place. Many of us here have become the best of personnel friends and we come from all walks of life. But ALL of us have an interest in the fire service, especially the FDNY. In fact, one of your neighbors as I see it, lives in Ireland who usually comes to visit us here about once a year. His name is Declan B., aka "Irish", on this site. A really GREAT GUY, himself a personnel friend to many of us here.

So "Volvo N720", I hope you will be able to find the time to read some of the above topics, in addition to continue with your fire department projects. Plus read the numerous daily topics presented by the members of this site.

Thank you, nfd2004! I´ve never been so welcomed in my whole life  :D :D

I´ve much to read here. I "know" Tom from some fb-goups. His skills are amazing.

It´s so nice to be here! Thanx again  8) :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 11:31:30 AM by Volvo N720 »

Offline Volvo N720

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 11:38:19 AM »
Like the others, I just want to comment on how beautiful your modeling work is. You are certainly a dedicated modeler with great abilities. All of your models look fantastic.

Based in your abilities I'm assuming you work in some kind of an artistic field?

You´re so kind, Bulldog! No, I´m a busdriver and have so been for 35 yrs. I like that job very much. But in next life I shall be a FF or a cop  :)

I love dirty models but not all can be so but Rescue 1 was quite tired towards the end of its life so I think it´s going to be a nice model when it´s ready.

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 03:51:35 PM »
Welcome Volvo N720 your work looks great.....interesting that you state that you like your models to have a used look... there was a photo that someone posted somewhere on here awhile back....it was the old Green 1981 Mack belonging to ENG*41 later SQ*41...it was beat up & the green paint was stained especially around the rear wheel wells....whoever posted it titled the photo something like "a real Urban Rig" or something to that effect .....anybody else remember where that photo is ?

Offline fdce54

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 05:53:39 PM »
Welcome Volvo N720 your work looks great.....interesting that you state that you like your models to have a used look... there was a photo that someone posted somewhere on here awhile back....it was the old Green 1981 Mack belonging to ENG*41 later SQ*41...it was beat up & the green paint was stained especially around the rear wheel wells....whoever posted it titled the photo something like "a real Urban Rig" or something to that effect .....anybody else remember where that photo is ?
Is this the photo, Chief? It's from FDNYtrucks.com

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 08:12:54 PM »
^^^^^^^ Yes thats it our Rig...photo is from 1992....& Volvo thats the traditional "Schools Open" sticker you asked about...they were issued every year at the start of the new school year (September) & kept on for a certain period then ordered to be removed to preserve the impact for the next September.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 09:36:21 PM by 68jk09 »

Offline 1261Truckie

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 08:14:33 PM »
Jonas,
Welcome to the site. Looking forward to more pictures as the model progresses
Jim (aka 1261truckie)

anything