Author Topic: Seagrave to take up new contract over KME  (Read 30704 times)

Offline Jedi1973

• UK Firefighter and aviation enthusiast.
Re: Seagrave to take up new contract over KME
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2019, 09:41:14 PM »
Sorry guys forgive me for been thick... so does this mean that Seagrave cannot and will not be able to produce the split cab  with the rear roof anymore and any future fdny seagrave orders will be for the flat cab?

The benefits of raised crew cabs over here in the UK were negated by new health and safety laws stating we were no longer allowed to rig on the way to calls while the pump was in motion,we  had to get fully rigged before boarding.

JT
Everybody Goes Home..

Nycfire.net

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2019, 09:41:14 PM »

Offline Lebby

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2019, 11:23:36 PM »
Whats your source?

That would suggest a none raised rear cab?

JT
The Split cab was specifically designed for FDNY. Many of the houses don't have room for the entire cab to tilt up routine maintenance. I don't believe that a raised crew compartment is available with the chassis. The only rig I've seen was a raised crew compartment was actually the rescue that Louisville got and that was pretty much custom all the way.

Seagrave will put a raised roof on any chassis as a extra option, it isn't a matter of it being a Marauder II, Attacker or Capitol. Instead, it is what ever the customer requests in the spec. (Just look at some of their recent deliveries either via their website or social media). Manufactures are now held to the quality of their work more so then the options they can include. For these days most manufactures can do similar things with the exception some of proprietary technologies i.e the Aerialscope, Squrt, etc. (Although they have there knockoffs).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 11:25:09 PM by Lebby »

Offline fdnycand89

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2019, 10:35:20 AM »
In 2008 the first batch of seagraves with raised roofs were called the maurader chassis. They were split tilt cabs and eventually were renamed to the attacker chassis by seagrave. The difference now is full tilt seagrave cabs are marauder and the split tilt which fdny uses are the attacker chassis.... I believe both offer raised or flat roofs ..... seagrave just introduced the capital chassis not sure of breakdown on them

Offline baileyjeff

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2019, 03:50:51 PM »
Anyone have any idea if Seagrave was awarded any other contract for any other pumpers or just this batch?

Offline tperez102

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2019, 10:38:23 AM »
Hello All so i get the Contract Process here in the City , but can i point to Washington D.C. Fire. They presently have a very nice mix of both 2018 Seagraves pumpers and 2018 Pierce Velocity Pumpers. Also a Mix of Heavy Rescues. Is this by design ? Or just a real time street test of both suppliers? Why not give it a try here? 

Offline Jedi1973

• UK Firefighter and aviation enthusiast.
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2019, 12:28:10 PM »
Hello

I am not serving FDNY but do have a bit of insight into how the organisation works.

For what I can gather its a brave soul that takes on an FDNY contract for engines or ladders!!

It seems yes the lowest bidder gets the contract.. but the guys and gals on the streets who use the rigs only get the best from that manufacturer. Im sure the the serving members on here will challenge this but from a manufacturer building a piece and it actually getting to the point of FDNY members using it... I get the impression its a long long process and only the best of the chosen manufacterer gets onto the apparatus floor.

FDNY knows what it wants and takes no prisoners and will cast asside a provider. For all its faults I get the impression FDNY will not never compramise on apparatus and crew safety.

But.. as I say I might be about to be destroyed by serving FDNY members!!!

JT.( nerveously!!)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 12:37:18 PM by Jedi1973 »
Everybody Goes Home..

Offline fdnycand89

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2019, 09:20:33 PM »
Hello All so i get the Contract Process here in the City , but can i point to Washington D.C. Fire. They presently have a very nice mix of both 2018 Seagraves pumpers and 2018 Pierce Velocity Pumpers. Also a Mix of Heavy Rescues. Is this by design ? Or just a real time street test of both suppliers? Why not give it a try here?

Pierce does not offer a stainless steel cab .. thatís why you donít see them bidding on fdny rigs.

Offline wfd444

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2019, 09:48:10 PM »
That's NOT why. You assume incorrectly without knowing the real reason. It is because they are NOT interested in losing money on a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty my friend.

Offline Lebby

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2019, 10:05:17 PM »

Pierce does not offer a stainless steel cab .. thatís why you donít see them bidding on fdny rigs.

DCFD has old Pierce Lances and new Arrow XTs. No Velocities.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 10:06:48 PM by Lebby »

Offline fdnycand89

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2019, 04:40:57 PM »
That's NOT why. You assume incorrectly without knowing the real reason. It is because they are NOT interested in losing money on a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty my friend.

Thatís also true ...but no steel cab is also a reason

Offline wfd444

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2019, 07:00:17 PM »
Pierce rep said warranty not steel cab,,,,,

anything