Author Topic: Remember Slow Food ?  (Read 362 times)

Online nfd2004

• Global Moderator
Remember Slow Food ?
« on: February 12, 2019, 09:06:55 AM »
 Some of us remember the days of riding the back step on a rig. Before the days of thermo imaging cameras. Before going to more Fire calls than EMS calls. Before MDTs and Bunker gear. Things were much different for many of our more senior members of this site.

Recently, I received an email from a good friend, Frank M, aka "manhattan". That email contained many memories of times gone by growing up as kids. A completely different time then. So I would like to pass on a few of those memories, a little at a time to this membership.

Many of the members here who are somewhat "over the hill", I've already shared that entire email with.

I guess if you are considered to be of "The Baby Boomer Generation" and over 65 years of age, probably on medicare, then "you too" are considered one of us "over the hill gang".

For those of you who are a part of the "Over the hill gang" and are blessed to have generally good health, "We Have A Lot To Be THANKFUL For". Soon to be 70 years old, I am very fortunate to be one of those guys.

So, with that said, let's get on with this story of a "Blast from the Past", taken from "manhattan's" email he sent me, one piece at a time. If you have any specific memories that you would like to share, "I'm sure many of us would like to hear them".

For the younger kids (age 65 or less) on this site, these are a few of the stories before the days of my favorite Micky Ds Big Mac's or White Castle Slidders.

Let the story begin (Quote):

Someone asked the other day, what was your favorite fast food when growing up ?
 We didn't have fast food when growing up.
 All the food was SLOW.
 It was a place called; "At Home".

Mom cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table.
 And if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there until I DID like it.

I didn't tell the guy how I had to have permission to leave the table.

"Much more to come - To Be Continued".

Nycfire.net

Remember Slow Food ?
« on: February 12, 2019, 09:06:55 AM »

Offline johnd248

• Aux. Lieut. at E. 248 1964-73
Re: Remember Slow Food ?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 09:53:44 AM »
Riding the back step of E 248 in Flatbush was certainly an adventure.  Pot holes everywhere; your feet were off the rear step as much as on it.  I remember responding to a first due box on Flatbush Avenue when Jimmy Connelly swung his body out around the engine so he could see what we were going to.  Based on the amount of smoke he saw, he turned to the rest of us and said, "Time to pull up your boots, boys."

Online nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 07:49:19 AM »
Some of our parents NEVER owned their house, never wore Levis, never set foot on a golf course, never traveled out of the country or had a credit card.

In later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears & Roebuck. There is NO Sears & Roebuck anymore.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we had never heard of soccer.

I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds and only had one speed, slow.

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 11.

It was of course black and white, and the station went off the air at midnight after playing the national anthem and a poem about God. It came back on the air at 6 am. And there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on then, featuring local people.

To Be Continued.

As a side note here; One of the guys I had forwarded this entire story to was this site member Mr Frank D., aka "fdce54". Apparently he is NOT 65 years old yet (OFFICALLY).

Well Mr Frankie D., maybe your not on medicare yet. But as far as how many of your friends feel here, "you fit right in with us old farts".

All those stories about hanging out in those Irish Bronx Bars happened a long time ago.
You remember Slow Food just like the rest of us.
You don't work anymore just like the rest of us.

I bet right now your sitting back in your rocking chair watching your big fancy color TV doing nothing, just like the rest of us.

For the younger kids (age 65 or less) on this site, these are a few of the stories before the days of my favorite Micky Ds Big Mac's or White Castle Slidders.

Offline fdce54

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 09:36:03 AM »
Some of our parents NEVER owned their house, never wore Levis, never set foot on a golf course, never traveled out of the country or had a credit card.

In later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears & Roebuck. There is NO Sears & Roebuck anymore.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we had never heard of soccer.

I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds and only had one speed, slow.

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 11.

It was of course black and white, and the station went off the air at midnight after playing the national anthem and a poem about God. It came back on the air at 6 am. And there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on then, featuring local people.

To Be Continued.

As a side note here; One of the guys I had forwarded this entire story to was this site member Mr Frank D., aka "fdce54". Apparently he is NOT 65 years old yet (OFFICALLY).

Well Mr Frankie D., maybe your not on medicare yet. But as far as how many of your friends feel here, "you fit right in with us old farts".

All those stories about hanging out in those Irish Bronx Bars happened a long time ago.
You remember Slow Food just like the rest of us.
You don't work anymore just like the rest of us.

I bet right now your sitting back in your rocking chair watching your big fancy color TV doing nothing, just like the rest of us.

Uncle Wilfred, yes I am 65 and I am on Medicare and I am lounging right now watching Perry Mason on MeTV on my big fancy color TV.....lol.

Online nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 10:50:37 AM »
 After having a lengthily discussion with Frank, aka "fdce54" today, he finally remembered how old he really is.

We discussed having Slow Meals at home before FAST FOOD and he said "Yes, on Clay Ave in the Bronx I had that". There were "numerous other topics" that we discussed which gradually brought back Franks apparent memory loss.

I politely explained to him that at his age, sometimes those things happen. I told him that it happens to all of us. We all understand.

But through it all he can always count on at least one or two of his old fart friends to remind him just how old he really is. Among us, "one of us will remember - I hope". But in case any of us or Frank himself doesn't remember, here it is in writing for him.

"I, Mr Frank D., aka "fdce54", currently as of this date, I am 65 years old and on medicare". "I do remember eating Slow Food long before any FAST FOOD places in the Bronx".

To our good friend Frank, that's what friends are for. To offer help in your time of need. At least one of us should be able to remember how old you really are. But if we don't hopefully one of us will remember to direct you here to the story of Slow Food.

If that doesn't work, we can always turn to one of our younger members here to help us out.

So Frank, "LIFE IS GOOD". Just sit back and enjoy that Perry Mason show. Just watch that TV, take your afternoon naps and come on here once in awhile just to say "hello" or maybe even check to see how old you are.

Uncle Wilfred

Offline lucky

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 11:00:50 AM »
I remember having the luxury of the following things after I joined the workforce at age 18. A small fan to push the air around in my bedroom and asking for novocaine at the dentist, which had cost an additional dollar, something my parents couldn't afford at the time.

Online nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 12:03:24 PM »
I remember having the luxury of the following things after I joined the workforce at age 18. A small fan to push the air around in my bedroom and asking for novocaine at the dentist, which had cost an additional dollar, something my parents couldn't afford at the time.

"lucky" for many of us here, we grew up poor. Going out for a hamburger or getting an ice cream was a once a week treat. I remember my parents telling me that if I didn't behave for the week, there would be no hamburger or ice cream.

As the so called Baby Boomers, our parents grew up as kids during the Great Depression. They learned to appreciate everything. They learned to save and not to waste. That in turn brushed off on many of us.

Today, I'm glad that I grew up in a poor family of four kids. Where my father worked to pay the bills, while my mother stayed home taking care of us and cooking that Slow Food. And an ice cream was a once a week treat.

I remember my dentist visits too. I still don't like them but they sure are a lot easier to take these days than back then. Especially when it comes to getting a cavity taken care of.

anything