Author Topic: LAD*8 FH & IN THE 2nd HALF THE 9-11 MEMORIAL.  (Read 520 times)

Offline 68jk09

LAD*8 FH & IN THE 2nd HALF THE 9-11 MEMORIAL.
« on: February 20, 2019, 06:23:01 AM »

Nycfire.net

LAD*8 FH & IN THE 2nd HALF THE 9-11 MEMORIAL.
« on: February 20, 2019, 06:23:01 AM »

Offline Bulldog

Re: LAD*8 FH & IN THE 2nd HALF THE 9-11 MEMORIAL.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 08:01:53 AM »
Too bad it doesn't have more pictures of the firehouse and left pictures of TJ whoever he is. I thought it was going to be an interesting video but it failed miserably.

Offline JohnnyGage

Re: LAD*8 FH & IN THE 2nd HALF THE 9-11 MEMORIAL.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 09:46:18 AM »
Every time I look at the firehouse I have to admire the fact that it is only half of the original firehouse. I'm sure it is posted somwhere in another thread, but many moons ago when the city expanded Varick Street to make it wider the left bay side of the firehouse was demolished AND the side you see now was slid over to that spot to accomodate the street expansion. The city performed the "sliding" operation because that side of the firehouse already had a "finish" to it.

I had quite a few opportunities to drive Ladder 8 (or "Club Ocho") and Lt. Vinny Halloran (RIP 9/11). The area was very quiet, Tribeca was beginning it's transistion from empty commercial structures to the, now, most expensive community. Back then, when you heard a job come in toward midtown, you knew L 8 was going to relocate. You were greeted as you entered quarters by a large collection of melted telephones from previous jobs mounted on the outside housewatch wall. The kitchen was on the third floor, "uggh". At the time many of the assigned firefighters used to bring their dogs to work. It wasn't uncommon to be in the third floor sitting room with two, three dogs. Being a dog lover, never bothered me, though...good guys, good shop.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 10:04:37 AM by JohnnyGage »