Author Topic: Member Get Together  (Read 15536 times)

Offline fdhistorian

Re: Member Get Together
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 09:48:03 PM »
Willy, planning to be there too.

Nycfire.net

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 09:48:03 PM »

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 11:09:51 PM »
 A quick rundown of what has been talked about.

1) There is some talk that the location may be at a place called Maggie Mays in Bayside Queens, off Bell Blvd, rather than in Yonkers. Some of the guys here are more familiar with that place.

2) Looking at maybe Saturday May 11th or 18th.

3) Time maybe from around noon until 5 pm. Those that would want to stay longer of course could do so.

4) The location is near mass transit with a hotel nearby that many of us have stayed at.

5) There is metered parking on the street and a metered lot nearby.

6) No credit or debit cards - cash only at Maggie Mays.

Nothing confirmed yet but we will let everybody know as plans become more definite. Of course we would need a confirmation on who WILL be attending about one week prior.

I already have most of your email addresses and phone numbers. Once things get established you will get a group message for any notifications.

Members involved in organizing this event are - Jack K., aka "68jk09", Joe M., aka "mack", and John B., aka "jbendick".

Offline guitarman314

• Photobucket
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 12:48:42 AM »
   I have a family commitment on May 18th but May 11th is OK by me.

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 08:49:04 AM »
   I have a family commitment on May 18th but May 11th is OK by me.

"guitarman314", aka Tom E., grew up in the South Bronx during those FDNY War Years. I'm sure he has plenty of stories about it.

He also has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the fire apparatus of the FDNY.

G-man as he is sometimes referred to has a very special talent and skill. That skill is that he builds custom made fire apparatus models from scratch, down to every detail. Maybe he could bring a few in if we are able to meet up on Saturday May 11th.

He also has played guitar with some of the Doo Wop Groups we have talked about on this site.

CAN HE WALK ON WATER ?????  I don't know - maybe !

I also met "fdhistorian", nickname "Iggy", several years ago. He wrote a huge book called "The American Fire Services" (I think) which listed every single fire house and companies throughout most of the United States (and Canada ?). I used it to visit firehouses in cities across the country taking fire apparatus photos. Some of those places were:
 Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, PA
 Columbus and Cleveland, Ohio
 Newark, Elizabeth, Paterson, and Jersey City, N.J.
 Los Angeles City and Los Angeles County, Cailf
 Detroit, Mich
 Washington, DC
 Yonkers, Rochester, Syracuse, and Buffalo, NY
 Boston, Springfield, Fall River, New Bedford, and Worcester, Mass.

Those are just a few. There were many others as well. It was before the days of the internet. So I could NOT do it if not for a book like IGGY wrote.

We have "STAjo", aka Joe Walsh, who also recently wrote a book titled: "11/11".

There are guys who plan to be there who are Active and Retired Members of the FDNY. They all have stories to tell and another thing that I have found out about them is; "They want to hear your stories too".

It is possible that the owner of this site, Lt Tommy Bendick, might be able to present to us a power point program on the FDNY today.

I know of a few more guys that I hope might show up.

We have the BEST GUYS OUT THERE working on putting this little gathering together, Jack Kleehaas, aka "68jk09", Joe Materia, aka "mack", and John Bendick, aka "jbendick". Simply put - "THEY ARE TOP SHELF GUYS". I'm not the only one who says that either.

For those who would be coming from far away, this get together dinner will only be about 5 hours or so. But there is plenty to do around NYC. Plus I'm sure you will meet guys that are into the same thing that you are. "It could actually be a long night". 

They are not just from Fire Department backgrounds, but some have some pretty impressive backgrounds if we can get them to talk about it.

Maggie Mays is a very respectable place with good people who work there. The food is good and we are always treated great. In late October, both FDNY Retired B/C Jack Kleehaas and Retired Capt John Bendick, along with several members of their 1968 FDNY Probie Class celebrated their 50th Anniversary of beginning their FDNY War Years Careers. Guys came from all over. It was GREAT and everybody had a great time. They had a dinner together in the back dinning area.

I'm hoping that's the kind of thing we could do.

I sent a couple of pictures to Brad Y., aka "signal73", asking him to use his expertise in posting some pictures of that "50th Anniversary - 1968 FDNY Probie Class" at Maggie Mays. He's got far better computer skills than I do.

I have told people, my best friends are the guys I have met on this site.

NOTE - I tried other Dating Sites but I just didn't do too well  :) ;) :D

« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 08:54:28 AM by nfd2004 »

Online Signal73

• See You At The Big 1
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 09:23:12 AM »
Here are the photos Willy asked me to post

Remember to take it coming in

Offline Parkave32

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 12:53:51 PM »
  I would like to attend. May 11 works better than May 18 for me.

Offline fdce54

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2019, 02:15:34 PM »
I'm in...getting my best clean tee shirt out for the occasion...
Dan, make sure it's red.

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2019, 10:08:03 AM »
 At this point everybody pretty much agrees that Saturday, May 11th, is the best date.

Myself, along with Retired B/C Jack Kleehaas, "68jk09", Retired Capt John Bendick, "jbendick", and Joe Materia, "mack" (who by the way is a Retired U.S. Army Colonel), all agree on Maggie Mays in Queens.

Recently, myself and Frank D., "fdce54", attended an event there, along with Jack K. There was about 20 guys or so and we all had a MMs, home cooked meal. The meal was GREAT !!! BUT - I got on the scale the next morning and the reading wasn't very good. Needless to say: "It was on the PLUS side". 

Chief Kleehaas told me that in order to reserve the rear room at MMs, he would need a commitment of who plans to attend earlier than one week in advance. My guess is that there may be a few more guys as well. I was told by Doug M., "AuxWarYearsCapt", that he plans to attend too.

I have everybody's email address here so far that has mentioned about attending, including Philip D, "Lebby", that I needed. Once things get going, I'll use that to contact you. I will include my phone numbers as well if you have any questions. I hope to get the first email out in a few days.

Thanks Guys,
 Bill Dennis, aka Willy

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2019, 01:33:35 PM »
At this point everybody pretty much agrees that Saturday, May 11th, is the best date.

Myself, along with Retired B/C Jack Kleehaas, "68jk09", Retired Capt John Bendick, "jbendick", and Joe Materia, "mack" (who by the way is a Retired U.S. Army Colonel), all agree on Maggie Mays in Queens.

Recently, myself and Frank D., "fdce54", attended an event there, along with Jack K. There was about 20 guys or so and we all had a MMs, home cooked meal. The meal was GREAT !!! BUT - I got on the scale the next morning and the reading wasn't very good. Needless to say: "It was on the PLUS side". 

Chief Kleehaas told me that in order to reserve the rear room at MMs, he would need a commitment of who plans to attend earlier than one week in advance. My guess is that there may be a few more guys as well. I was told by Doug M., "AuxWarYearsCapt", that he plans to attend too.

I have everybody's email address here so far that has mentioned about attending, including Philip D, "Lebby", that I needed. Once things get going, I'll use that to contact you. I will include my phone numbers as well if you have any questions. I hope to get the first email out in a few days.

Thanks Guys,
 Bill Dennis, aka Willy

This was Willy D's last Member Get Together:

As he always says, "Leave the gun, take the cannoli."
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 01:48:38 PM by mack »

Offline johnd248

• Aux. Lieut. at E. 248 1964-73
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2019, 02:37:05 PM »
Bodda bing, bodda boom!!

Offline manhattan

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2019, 09:26:02 PM »
Excellent, mack!!

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2019, 12:58:57 PM »
 Just received word that member Elwood E., aka "CFDMarshall", is coming all the way up from Tennessee to join us. He plans on staying at the Anchor Inn on Northern Blvd. A place that many of us have stayed before and not too far from Maggie Mays in Bayside.

I hope we can get that rear dinning room at Maggie Mays for our use on Saturday May 11th. Therefore very soon, I will be contacting those who have reported interest in this, as well as a few others, to get a head count.

I'm told so far besides Elwood, we have "mack", "fdce54", "jbendick", and myself. Once I get more confirmations I will post the list on this thread and add to it as it goes along.

IF we don't get enough guys for MMs, there's a nearby "White Castle" at Northern and Bell Blvd where we can probably meet up. I know that some of the guys have gone out there for a late midnight snack to get what I think is called: "A bag of White Castle SLIDERS".

But let's try to get MMs first.

Offline Parkave32

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2019, 05:23:35 PM »
Willy you can count me as a definite.

Offline STAjo

• Former NY State EMT, NYC Security, Buff
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2019, 06:09:28 PM »

Posted by: nfd2004
   "But let's try to get MMs first."
  Oh, Please, Yes, Let's do That. I'm Not Comin' Down to Bayside for'Sliders'.   ???    ;)

Offline johnd248

• Aux. Lieut. at E. 248 1964-73
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2019, 06:51:56 PM »
I am in for May11th; hopefully at Maggie Mays.

anything