Author Topic: Member Get Together  (Read 15526 times)

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
Re: Member Get Together
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2019, 07:49:16 PM »
 Thank you gentlemen for making your commitment so that we can get a head count early enough to reserve the back dinning room at Maggie Mays.

Maggie Mays is located in Bayside Queens at 214-22 41st Ave off Bell Blvd. They have a web site listing menus etc. That site is www.maggiemaysbayside.com .

Located not far is a hotel where many of us have stayed in the past. It is the Anchor Inn located at 215-34 Northern Blvd. Their web site is www.anchorinn.com

I will be sending out an email to members here who I have email addresses of. Telling them, in case they have not seen this, of the upcoming get together.
 I also plan to send invitations to other firefighters, etc who have meet some of our members during various fire dept tours they offered us. They treated us great and we want to include them as well.

It was also suggested that any member who might be interested in bringing any related fire dept items for display or sale would be welcomed to do so. We have guys here who have written books, have patches, built custom made models, etc. 

The entire cost of the dinner, plus tip is usually divided up equally among us. Maggie Mays is CASH ONLY, no credit or debit cards. We would also ask that you would consider making a donation to a fire dept charity that will be announced later.

For guys that plan to stay a couple of days, there is a lot to do. Sometimes visit a firehouse, go to a ball game, visit the Bronx Zoo, tour the Statue of Liberty, or take a boat/bus tour around Manhattan etc., etc., etc. You won't run out of things to do. There's a nearby dinner called "The Jackson Hole" that a few of us have enjoyed a home style country breakfast at.

This list will be updated as others join in. Let's plan on April 1st for the final commitment as long as that's okay with Jack K, "68jk09", who is making the plans to reserve the dining area. So far members who are planning on attending are:

1) Jack K., "68jk09"
 2) John B., "jbendick" - arriving late due to FDNY/EMS Family Day
 3) Joe M., "mack"
 4) Doug M., "AuxWarYearsCapt"
 5) Bill J., "Parkave32"
 6) Iggy K., "fdhistorian"
 7) Elwood E., "CFDMarshall"
 8) Joe W., "STAjo" - - - Joe, you get a free smiley face when I type in the number "8" with a ")".
 9) Frank D., "fdce54"
 10) John D., "johnd248"
 11) Dan P., "JohnnyGage"
 12) Tommy B., "tbendick" - arriving late due to FDNY/EMS Family Day
 13) Eugene D., "efd274"
 14) Frank M., "manhattan"
 15) Tom E., “guitarman314”
 16) Ken F., "Atlas"
 17) Steve E., "fltpara16"
 18) Tom Keufner
 19) Ed Kearon
 20)

PLUS - A very special invited guest that I think you ALL will be quite impressed with. His name, Gracian Bendick.

Of course, "His Honor", Mr Willy D, "NFD2004" will attend as long as everybody promises to be nice to me.

As time goes on, I will add the names of those who plan to attend.   
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 07:28:41 PM by nfd2004 »

Nycfire.net

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2019, 07:49:16 PM »

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2019, 10:45:04 AM »
Reply # 30 - UPDATED

Offline STAjo

• Former NY State EMT, NYC Security, Buff
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2019, 06:57:43 PM »

Hmmm... Bayside ?    ???

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/24/nyregion/bayside-queens-police-shooting.html

mebe He didn't like the 'Sliders' ?

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2019, 07:35:04 PM »
^^^^^ Willy's Anchor Inn in the background.

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2019, 09:24:26 PM »
^^^^^ Willy's Anchor Inn in the background.

Hmmm... Bayside ?    ???

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/24/nyregion/bayside-queens-police-shooting.html

mebe He didn't like the 'Sliders' ?

Joe, "STAjo", Everybody loves those White Castle Sliders. The place is right down the street. Maybe they were closed when he went there and that's why he got so mad. Who can blame him ?

To the guys planning on attending this Get Together, "don't let some guy wearing no pants and carrying a 12 inch kitchen knife" or "maybe a couple of cops firing about a half dozen shots or so scare you away".

Yes, Chief JK "68jk09" is right. You could look right out the window of the Anchor Inn from the 215th St side and get a ringside seat.

Now for some additional info: 
  I understand that one of the members attending will be receiving a very Special Gift. Something that will have very special meaning to him and I'm sure he will proudly display.

Offline efd274

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2019, 09:26:47 PM »
I would like to join you that day if my schedule permits - so please add me to the list.  I believe Mothers Day is the 12th - hopefully it all works out.  Funny, I ate at Donovans today which is next door to Maggy Mays

Online JohnnyGage

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2019, 07:28:34 AM »
Perfect opportunity to get mom a bag of belly bombs (sliders) for her special day!...you can't go wrong. Add a bow for that extra touch...

« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 07:33:30 AM by JohnnyGage »

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2019, 08:10:00 AM »
I would like to join you that day if my schedule permits - so please add me to the list.  I believe Mothers Day is the 12th - hopefully it all works out.  Funny, I ate at Donovans today which is next door to Maggy Mays

Eugene D., "efd274", you are added to the list. Your brother Kevin "kfd274", should join us too.

If I remember correctly, weren't both of you guys teachers or principals in some school in Queens ? Do you guys know how much I feared and tried to hide from guys like you during my school days. What was worse was that I had to do some extra time in the summer months going to summer school. WOW, I sure am glad those days are over......

Perfect opportunity to get mom a bag of belly bombs (sliders) for her special day!...you can't go wrong. Add a bow for that extra touch...

What better gift than a "bag of bellie bombers" with a pretty bow attached. A great gift idea for just about any occasion.

How about telling everybody that you want a "bag of bellie bombers" for your next birthday party - instead of a cake. How great is that ?

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2019, 08:58:59 AM »
So the current list so far is:

1) Jack K., "68jk09"
 3) Joe M., "mack"
 5) Bill J., "Parkave32"
 8) Joe W., "STAjo" - - - Joe, you get a free smiley face when I type in the number "8" with a ")".
 9) Frank D., "fdce54"
 10) John D., "johnd248"
 11) Dan P., "JohnnyGage"
 13) Eugene D., "efd274"
 14) Willy D., "NFD2004"
 15) Gracian B.

Good so far - all are welcome!

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2019, 01:16:53 PM »
So the current list so far is:

1) Jack K., "68jk09"
 3) Joe M., "mack"
 5) Bill J., "Parkave32"
 9) Frank D., "fdce54"
 10) John D., "johnd248"
 11) Dan P., "JohnnyGage"
 13) Eugene D., "efd274"
 14) Willy D., "NFD2004"
 15) Gracian B.

Good so far - all are welcome!

Looks like Gman and Lebby are probably in, too.

Offline efd274

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2019, 06:23:39 PM »

Eugene D., "efd274", you are added to the list. Your brother Kevin "kfd274", should join us too.

If I remember correctly, weren't both of you guys teachers or principals in some school in Queens ? Do you guys know how much I feared and tried to hide from guys like you during my school days. What was worse was that I had to do some extra time in the summer months going to summer school. WOW, I sure am glad those days are over......

What better gift than a "bag of bellie bombers" with a pretty bow attached. A great gift idea for just about any occasion.

How about telling everybody that you want a "bag of bellie bombers" for your next birthday party - instead of a cake. How great is that ?

Willy,

Kevin, my "oldest" sibling, was in education - have to give the "oldest" brother his due.  I am a recently retired Civil Engineer and am old enough to have bought those belly bombers when they were a nickel.  Grew up in Flushing and used to go the White Castle on Bell Blvd when they had car service with the young ladies on roller skates.  A lot better than the drive up window!  In this case progress was not so good.  They have the ladies on roller skates at Sonic now but there burgers can't compare with White Castle.

Bell Blvd is still a nice area - used to hang out there in College a bit as my wife is from Bayside - they had my bachelor party at Buzz and Mac's, a pub on Bell Blvd - some of the older guys will remember it on the east side of Bell Blvd - it was there a very long time - one of the older guys in my parish was a bar tender there and took good care of us

Hope to make the meeting.  You certainly picked a nice spot to have it - right around the corner from E306.  When I was growing up L152 and BC53 were also in the house.  L152 moved out in 1960 and joined with E299 from the big house in Jamaica for the new house on Utopia Pkwy.  In the mid 80's BC53 moved to the new firehouse on Springfield Blvd and was joined by E326 and L160.

As far as school, I went to parochial school at St Andrew's on Northern Blvd and 158 St - had 59 kids in my class and discipline was pretty rigorous.  It got even better in high school where I had the Sacred Heart brothers - you always wanted them to take care of any issue on the spot with a good smack as detention was the worst - 2 hours after school and you weren't able to do homework or anything - stand for 20 minutes, sit for 10 minutes for a total of four cycles.  Only lay teachers usually gave detention.

You learned discipline very quickly back in those days.  Several of my grammar school classmates went on to be officers for the FDNY.  Our biggest claim to fame was Eddie Kilduff who became Chief of the Department - I am pleased to say I helped teach  Eddie how to buff at E274 - he certainly took buffing at E274 to a whole new level.  He was great guy growing up and was well liked by all - I know the guys on the job really liked him as well

Best wishes to all and hope to see you at the meeting
Gene
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 06:38:36 PM by efd274 »

Online JohnnyGage

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2019, 09:08:09 PM »
^^^^^^Ed Kilduff was my lieutenant when I transferred into L 112. I was part of the inside team working the night tour Ed made a rescue on Cornelia Street (Oct. 12, 1988). Ed was recognized for his heroic rescue on Medal Day (June 1989).That years Medal Day book is the only time my name would be mentioned in any medal day book...a special honor to be associated with future COD Ed Killduff. He was a superior fire officer and a gentleman of the highest order.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 02:52:32 PM by JohnnyGage »

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2019, 10:24:23 PM »
 Thank you Gene, aka "efd274" and Dan, aka "JohnnyGage" for those GREAT Stories.

These are the kind of stories that we hope are brought up at the Get Together.

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2019, 11:04:25 PM »
^^^efd274 in regard to discipline in Catholic Schools i remember "kneeling" across/on top of  a metal wastebasket .....that sort of rivaled some things in USMC Boot Camp (but not really) .

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2019, 11:08:55 PM »
Ed Kilduff mentioned above was certainly one of the FDNY Greats ...he is going to be the Grand Marshall of the Bayside St Patricks Parade along Bell Blvd on 3-30-19.....in the link Ed is fourth from the left with the bow tie...(i will invite him to our upcoming get together....he was unavailable for our last one)    .....  https://www.facebook.com/baysidestpatricksdayparade/