Author Topic: Member Get Together  (Read 17306 times)

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
Re: Member Get Together
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2019, 05:49:35 PM »
 I think it's safe to say that EVERYBODY who attended enjoyed themselves. Thank you to Retired B/C Jack Kleehaas and Retired FDNY Dispatcher Warren Fuchs.

As John (johnd248) says there were active and retired dispatchers, Active and retired firefighters/officers. As well as their sons from the FDNY and other departments. There were buffs from many backgrounds.

Retired Deputy Fire Commissioner Bob Turner was there. A good friend to many and a well respected individual who rose up through the ranks of the FDNY.

Guys in their 70s who had been on the job during the FDNY War Years, to current younger members of the FDNY. Even maybe future members of the FDNY like Gracian Bendick.

One member of the FDNY who seemed to love the job and was very interested in the stories about The War Years was Firefighter Billy (?), now a firefighter with about one year on the job assigned to Engine 48. There were members from the Newark, NJ and Newburgh, NY Fire Depts. Some very busy fire departments themselves. Volunteer firefighters and EMS.
 It was a Great Opportunity for long time friends to meet up and guys young and old to talk about the FDNY now and then. 

Some of the buffs grew up in NYC near a firehouse. One a retired civil engineer, one a banker, one owns an insurance company, one a retired postal supervisor, one a retired professor, one a Con Ed supervisor, one a retired colonel. Outstanding citizens and contributors to our society. Each having their own life's stories to tell - but each with the same interest. 

Joe Materia, aka "mack" made up booklets with photos and names of those attending. They were GREAT and he handed one out to everybody that was there. As Joe so often does, he puts a huge amount of effort into any project he does. THANK YOU very much Joe. Your work is certainly appreciated.

Joe also present a special gift to Retired B/C Jack Kleehaas related to his military duty during the Viet Nam War. As most of you know, Chief Kleehaas has been a good friend to many of us on this site and he has helped us many times when we wanted to visit a firehouse or introducing many of us to his many well respected active and retired members of the FDNY.

Joe also mentioned to me that he was giving Retired Capt John Bendick a gift as well. Capt Bendick also spent time in Viet Nam and both him and Chief Kleehaas attended the same FDNY Probie Class of 1968. Another Retired FDNY member, Lt Tom Kuefner, who attended this Get Together was also a part of that same Probie Class '68. Another note - Lt Kuefner was the Lt when Dan Potter, aka "JohnnyGage" was assigned to Ladder 112.

Dan Potter, "JohnnyGage" presented ALL of those attending this event with a mug in honor of the Glory Years. He did this all on his own. Thank you very much Dan. He also presented both myself and Joe Materia with individual special gifts. I had mentioned at the meeting that the thread "Glory Days", started on March 24th (less than two months ago) and will probably be reaching 10,000 views soon. 

There were many more too. Here is some of the names:
   Retired B/C Steve Ternlund Bn 41 Commander and his son Ken, FF Eng 310
   FF Bob Athanas, Senior man of Rescue 3 and his son Anthony, FF Newburg, NY
   FF Eric Schreck, Lad 136
   FM Steve Bumb, Queens Base
   Retired Capt George Murphy Sr, Eng 281
   Retired FF Bill Carlson, Squad 1
   Retired B/C Ed Kearon, Bn #2 Commander
   B/C Bill Hartman, Marine Division
   Retired Brooklyn Disp Newt Tanner
   Retired Captain Bob Howell, Lad 156
   Retired B/C Pete Partridge, Newark F.D.
   Bill Jones
   Frank Donohue
   John Delmhorst
   Iggy Kapalczynski
   Elwood Erwin
   Eugene Daly
   Tom Eve

There were several hand made fire apparatus models on display made by member Tom Eve, "guitarman314". His talents are amazing.

On display were several FDNY Code 3 models, plus FDNY War Years and 1980s FDNY Books including the collector book "FDNYs Bravest - Their Lives on the Line" by member Mike Dick, "mikeindabronx". Today we consider Mike "Our Most Valuable Player", with over 23,000 post.

Also on display was the book written by Iggy Kapalczynski which was called: "The Fire Services of North America", 1st edition in 1982. Before such a thing as the internet, Iggy had written this book containing every firehouse address in the United States. It was amazing and I have no idea how he ever accomplished such a project. I used that book to take fire apparatus photos from across the country from Boston to L.A. I had photographed apparatus from about 25 different cities, including Boston, Buffalo, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Columbus, L.A. City, L.A. County and many more. All because of that book that Iggy wrote back then. 

In addition, also on display was a solid brass hose coupling which shows a large dent in it from the massive 13 alarm gas explosion in Jamaica Queens on January 13, 1967. Retired FDNY Chief Bob Manson, (*******) had that coupling from his first years as a firefighter working in Ladder 127.
 See Reply # 3
 http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php/topic,56902.0.html

We must also thank this site owner, Lt Tommy Bendick and administrator, Retired Capt John Bendick. Because they are the individuals who got many of us connected in the first place. If not for them, this event would not have happened.
 Both John and Tommy arrived later because they had been attending the FDNY/EMS Family Day at Fort Totten where John T. Bendick will graduate on June 6th working as an EMT with the FDNY/EMS. 

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 07:43:55 AM by nfd2004 »

Nycfire.net

« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2019, 05:49:35 PM »

Online Signal73

• See You At The Big 1
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2019, 06:05:07 PM »
Willy D asked me to up load these

« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 06:14:30 PM by Signal73 »
Remember to take it coming in

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2019, 04:06:29 AM »

There were many more too. Here is some of the names:
   Retired B/C Steve Ternlund Bn 41 Commander and his son Ken, FF Eng 310
   FF Bob Athanas, Senior man of Rescue 3 and his son Anthony, FF Newburg, NY
   FF Eric Schreck, Lad 136
   FM Steve Bumb, Queens Base
   Retired Capt George Murphy Sr, Eng 281
   Retired FF Bill Carlson, Squad 1
   Retired B/C Ed Kearon, Bn #2 Commander
   B/C Bill Hartman, Marine Division
   Retired Brooklyn Disp Newt Tanner
   Retired Captain Bob Howell, Lad 156
   Retired B/C Pete Partridge, Newark F.D.
   Bill Jones
   Frank Donohue
   John Delmhorst
   Iggy Kapalczynski
   Elwood Erwin
   Eugene Daly
   Tom Eve

I have made several additions and corrections to those who attended. I apologize to all for that.

If anybody has any questions please send me a PM and if I can't answer it, I'll pass it onto someone who can.

THANK YOU to ALL those who attended.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 07:47:18 AM by nfd2004 »

Offline Maxim

« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2019, 05:50:15 PM »

Sounds like you guys should get together an form a group and join the IFBA. You guys have the three "F's of the IFBA  Fires, Fun and Fellowship.

Maybe some of you will come up to Montreal to see what is is about and I will get you more formal info next month.  I might even like to come up to one of your get togethers.