Author Topic: Yonkers, NY General Alarm 03-12-19  (Read 5376 times)

Offline BoroCall

• Former:NYCRelief,Recovery,Support & counties
Re: 3/12/19 Yonkers 4th Alarm
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2019, 11:53:47 PM »
Mutual Aid is by request of the municipality. If no request then no response. Even though there is an annual inter agency operability drill at Randallís Island for some reason FDNY is rarely called to assist along the borders. FYI the drill brings paid departments from Westchester to the Rock for drills with FDNY units. Not sure if there is a reason from a political standpoint or if payments are required but I can only think of 2 or 3 times in last 15 years that FDNY went into Yonkers.

Yes, I was aware of that - I'm not sure if the drills are due to a legal or politico issues, but I think Yonkers may not really want FDNY coming in.

Nycfire.net

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2019, 11:53:47 PM »

Offline nap72

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2019, 06:03:05 PM »
Just to clear up some of the Mutual Aid issues.

Mount Vernon job a couple of weeks ago - the FDNY did NOT provide mutual aid.

The FDNY IC kept an assignment present in case the fire spread to NYC houses.
This was not a mutual aid response, or a mutual aid request.  FDNY did not operate with Westchester companies.
It was just that the Mount Vernon job was burning out of control and the FDNY IC felt it may spread and end up endangering NYC properties.
Half way down the street, Secor Avenue, is literally in the Bronx.

As far as mutual aid for Westchester Counties.
The cities with paid Firefighters have mutual aid agreements.  Yonkers, Mount Vernon, New Rochelle, Pelham, White Plains, Scarsdale, Hartsdale, Eastchester, Greenville, etc.
When there is a big job there, these cities call and provide mutual aid for each other (although good luck getting mutual aid from Mount Vernon, another thread).
The firefighters in these departments are called in - ON OVERTIME - to man the reserve rigs in their cities.  If we were to provide mutual aid - the union's point would be - they will call the FDNY all the time, and we will not get the overtime to man the rigs.
It becomes a big union issue.
Imagine those firefighters sitting home and not getting called in, while the FDNY does the work - No Good.  Can't happen.

I believe the actual wording of the city's mutual aid agreement with surrounding cities is that the FDNY Commissioner must approve FDNY mutual aid.  And in some/most/all cases the FDNY receives financial reimbursement from those municipalities.  (Not sure those other counties and states wanna pick up that tab.  Katrina - FEMA picked up the bill.)

On a side note:
Any equipment obtained through the use of a federal grant - i.e. fireboats and some specialized equipment - if requested by another department, must be sent.  That is how the FDNY obtains the grants from the federal government, with the understanding that if requested and the nearest available, the FDNY will provide that assistance.
That's why we send fireboats to NJ, or to help the USCG out in international waters, and some rescue companies have been sent to Long Island for confined space.

Offline mikeindabronx

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2019, 08:07:22 PM »
nap72, thanks for the interesting info

Offline BoroCall

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2019, 09:00:16 PM »
Just to clear up some of the Mutual Aid issues.

Mount Vernon job a couple of weeks ago - the FDNY did NOT provide mutual aid.

The FDNY IC kept an assignment present in case the fire spread to NYC houses.
This was not a mutual aid response, or a mutual aid request.  FDNY did not operate with Westchester companies.
It was just that the Mount Vernon job was burning out of control and the FDNY IC felt it may spread and end up endangering NYC properties.
Half way down the street, Secor Avenue, is literally in the Bronx.

As far as mutual aid for Westchester Counties.
The cities with paid Firefighters have mutual aid agreements.  Yonkers, Mount Vernon, New Rochelle, Pelham, White Plains, Scarsdale, Hartsdale, Eastchester, Greenville, etc.
When there is a big job there, these cities call and provide mutual aid for each other (although good luck getting mutual aid from Mount Vernon, another thread).
The firefighters in these departments are called in - ON OVERTIME - to man the reserve rigs in their cities.  If we were to provide mutual aid - the union's point would be - they will call the FDNY all the time, and we will not get the overtime to man the rigs.
Imagine those firefighters sitting home and not getting called in, while the FDNY does the work - No Good.  Can't happen.

I believe the actual wording of the city's mutual aid agreement with surrounding cities is that the FDNY Commissioner must approve FDNY mutual aid.  And in some/most/all cases the FDNY receives financial reimbursement from those municipalities.  (Not sure those other counties and states wanna pick up that tab.  Katrina - FEMA picked up the bill.)

On a side note:
Any equipment obtained through the use of a federal grant - i.e. fireboats and some specialized equipment - if requested by another department, must be sent.  That is how the FDNY obtains the grants from the federal government, with the understanding that if requested and the nearest available, the FDNY will provide that assistance.
That's why we send fireboats to NJ, or to help the USCG out in international waters, and some rescue companies have been sent to Long Island for confined space.

WOW - Thank you.  tperez102, did post a clarification on the FDNY communication of the MV job - I had at first thought FDNY did get involved operations in MV, so that was clarified.

Offline BoroCall

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2019, 12:44:39 PM »
It was just reported on the Ch. 7 Eyewitness Mid=Day News, that wielding work was the cause of the fire.

Offline raybrag

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2019, 12:46:35 PM »
Must have been wielding the ducks.  ;D ;) ::) 8)
Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

Offline BoroCall

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2019, 06:57:30 PM »
Must have been wielding the ducks.  ;D ;) ::) 8)

The report stated the work was being done in a corner apt. in the building.

Offline GFD70

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2019, 06:41:00 PM »
Mutual Aid is by request of the municipality. If no request then no response. Even though there is an annual inter agency operability drill at Randallís Island for some reason FDNY is rarely called to assist along the borders. FYI the drill brings paid departments from Westchester to the Rock for drills with FDNY units. Not sure if there is a reason from a political standpoint or if payments are required but I can only think of 2 or 3 times in last 15 years that FDNY went into Yonkers.
Just to clarify, the annual Mutual Aid drill is an exercise of both New york Cityís mutual aid plan as well and New York Stateís mutual aid deployment plan. Much of the drill focuses on radio interoperability and equipment interoperability (hose fittings & adaptors) as well as staging and deploying mutual aid resources.
Over the years it went from drills at predetermined firehouses to several multi-company drills at The Rock.
I believe the the drill is funded through federal grant money. An After Action Report is issued to idenifty and correct any deficiencies.

Offline truck4

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2019, 11:31:32 PM »
1806hrs- Multiple calls for smoke from the roof, apartment window and top floor apartment.
1st Alarm: Squad 11, 312, 310, 314; L-75, 70; R-1 B-1
(B-2 on another assignment became available)

1810hrs- Sq-11 on location with a report of fire in a shaft.

1811hrs- B-2 transmitting 10-29 (Working fire) req. FAST

1812hrs- B-2 transmitting 2nd Alarm.
2nd Alarm: E-307, 306; L-71
E-313 became available, added to assignment

1816hrs- Units reporting heavy fire in the cockloft, west wing of building.

1818hrs- B-2 req. all incoming engine companies to hit hydrants. Fire in Apt. 6G and cockloft.

1819hrs- Car 2 transmitting 3rd Alarm
3rd Alarm: E-308, 303; L-73 (became available from another assignment)

1822hrs- Car 2 transmitting 4th Alarm
4th Alarm: E-304

1830hrs- Car S/C Eastchester Engine (E-31) to hit a hydrant in Bronxville and stretch in.

1833hrs- YPD ESU METU Medical Bus to scene, set up on Plamer Road.

1835hrs- L-74 became available from another assignment, responding.

1847hrs- E-309 became available, responding.

1855hrs- Car 2 S/C Mutual Aid cover companies redirect to the scene.
Hartsdale E-170, New Rochelle E-22, Mount Vernon E-204

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 11:40:12 PM by truck4 »

Offline BoroCall

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2019, 11:42:58 PM »
Just to clarify, the annual Mutual Aid drill is an exercise of both New york Cityís mutual aid plan as well and New York Stateís mutual aid deployment plan. Much of the drill focuses on radio interoperability and equipment interoperability (hose fittings & adaptors) as well as staging and deploying mutual aid resources.
Over the years it went from drills at predetermined firehouses to several multi-company drills at The Rock.
I believe the the drill is funded through federal grant money. An After Action Report is issued to idenifty and correct any deficiencies.

Not sure if it's still in use, but the NYC OEM (or NYC EM) inter-agency radios and frequency is/was instituted from the multi-agency drills when then OEM Director Hauer & Mayor Giuliani, back in the days when Giuliani supported emergency services.

Offline Bulldog

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2019, 12:48:33 PM »
It's a shame that union issues get in the way of providing the quickest service to citizens/taxpayers.
I believe the actual wording of the city's mutual aid agreement with surrounding cities is that the FDNY Commissioner must approve FDNY mutual aid.

By having this in the actual wording it certainly makes you think that it's not intended to be used. Any mutual aid agreement I've ever been involved with you just make a radio call a phone call and the equipment response immediately. Also, I've never been involved with any mutual aid agreement that requires the assisting departments to be paid for their services.

FYI: I'm talking about being involved in 3 states, upstate NY, SC and KY.

anything