Author Topic: 3/15/19 SOUTH BX. LUXURY HIGH RISES  (Read 584 times)

Offline guitarman314

• Photobucket

Nycfire.net

3/15/19 SOUTH BX. LUXURY HIGH RISES
« on: March 17, 2019, 01:51:19 AM »

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
Re: 3/15/19 SOUTH BX. LUXURY HIGH RISES
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 06:45:53 AM »
  https://welcome2thebronx.com/2019/03/12/south-bronx-rising-first-market-rate-luxury-high-rise-is-quickly-changing-the-skyline/?fbclid=IwAR2eRUrEr9rCNSj1ihD6VIziVyT4p3CkAIk3DeJDezKbUaTQEJHWp2opQpE

Once a good spot to buff the fires in the South Bronx and Harlem area. Anything like this was totally "unpredictable" back in those FDNY War Years. In fact anybody could have bought a vacant lot there, full of rubbish and abandoned (ADV's) burned out cars, for about $1,000.

Who would have ever predicted this ?

Offline *******

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 07:52:40 AM »
You ask Bill "who could have predicted this?"  The answer is "the one's who allowed this." And allowed it was. The busy boxes during my years in the S. Bx (1970-76) were 50 engine 2323 Cauldwell and 160 and 82 engine the infamous 2743 Charlotte and 170. I've written about 2323, the summer of 1971. That July we  (50) had 21 all-hands or higher at 2323 for the month. Again, as we were putting the hose back after one of the jobs there was an older man standing there. I asked him "how can you allow them to burn you people out like this"? His answer, "we're going to get new condo's here. They did, but, he never lived to see them. Same with Charlotte St., was allowed day after day, week after week, month after month and year after year. How is Charlotte St. looking today? Who now owned the property built on? Do you believe that the city would have allowed Park Ave. and 160 or Madison Ave. and 170 to be burned out like they allowed Cauldwell and 160 and Charlotte and 170? The same for the lower S. Bx neighborhoods, now luxury hi-rises. So many people who lived there then paid a heavy price, as did the FDNY brothers, injuries and years of life lost. 

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 08:50:36 AM »
You ask Bill "who could have predicted this?"  The answer is "the one's who allowed this." And allowed it was. The busy boxes during my years in the S. Bx (1970-76) were 50 engine 2323 Cauldwell and 160 and 82 engine the infamous 2743 Charlotte and 170. I've written about 2323, the summer of 1971. That July we  (50) had 21 all-hands or higher at 2323 for the month. Again, as we were putting the hose back after one of the jobs there was an older man standing there. I asked him "how can you allow them to burn you people out like this"? His answer, "we're going to get new condo's here. They did, but, he never lived to see them. Same with Charlotte St., was allowed day after day, week after week, month after month and year after year. How is Charlotte St. looking today? Who now owned the property built on? Do you believe that the city would have allowed Park Ave. and 160 or Madison Ave. and 170 to be burned out like they allowed Cauldwell and 160 and Charlotte and 170? The same for the lower S. Bx neighborhoods, now luxury hi-rises. So many people who lived there then paid a heavy price, as did the FDNY brothers, injuries and years of life lost.

Yes Chief, now I remember you and a few others telling me about it. I guess we are now seeing the proof of that prediction. Blocks after blocks, miles and miles of burned out buildings. People lost their lives and belongings. Firefighters lost their lives while others were seriously injured.

Neighborhood after neighborhood. As a buff, I saw for myself firefighters and people hurt. It affected so many who were caught up in the middle of it. WHAT A PRICE THEY PAID. 

Online turk132

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 08:54:42 AM »

Years ago I was driving a Covering DC for the day, can't remember his name but he was assigned to E46-2 out of probie school. Driving around the area he mentioned that  when he got to the company there were blocks of vacant lots and vacant buildings. Near quarters,  Con Ed crews were installing heavy duty electrical cables under ground. He said “we couldn't understand why they were doing this, there was nothing (of value) around.” What came about was an industrial Park between the Cross Bronx Expressway and 172, Third Ave to Washington ave. Somebody or some group had a vision to either better the community or line their own pockets.......I 'll go with the latter....

anything