Author Topic: GLORY DAYS  (Read 6454 times)

Offline JohnnyGage

GLORY DAYS
« on: March 24, 2019, 07:45:59 PM »

Hello Troops! Recently I had a nice conversation with the Grand PooBah Mr. Willy. Albeit, it was a little difficult chatting through the phone line connection, it seemed like I heard bags being ripped open, muffled crunching chewing sounds and what sounded like soda being slurped through a straw from the other side of this seemingly bad connection. Still we had a wonderful conversation.

I wanted to ask Mr. Willy if I could create a new thread. I have been thinking about ways to contribute to this fine network and I started recalling many interesting unique personalities, fantastic meals, amusing antics and experiences throughout my fire career. I began to jot what I thought might be interesting recollections from firehouses I was assigned or detailed to. Before you knew it, one memory retrieved would lead to another. My head felt like it was going to explode!

Becoming a new contributor, I did not want to “hijack” someone else’s thread and Mr. Willy liked my idea of creating a new one. He gave me his blessing. So without further adieu, I will begin a new topic, titled : GLORY DAYS. Inspired by the words of Bruce Springsteen’s hit, and a prolific statement from one of my favorite lieutenants that I worked with, that I will introduce you to in the near future.

Please feel free to jump in and add your thoughts, recollection or comments. I hope by passing along some of my memories, they may kick-start some of your own. Stay tuned. KMG 365.

Nycfire.net

GLORY DAYS
« on: March 24, 2019, 07:45:59 PM »

Offline JohnnyGage

Re: GLORY DAYS
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 07:48:33 PM »
“TOUGH TIMMY (TT)”  Part 1
  Meet TT

“Tough Timmy”. It wasn’t Tim, it wasn’t Timmy, it was “Tough TImmy”. I called him Cap.

The first time I heard the name of my future boss was during the last few days of Proby school. My classmates and I were to graduate shortly, the fire department orders had just come out and we new shiney firefighters were anxious to see where we would be assigned. A lieutenant held the copy in both hands and began to read off the two page, double column order. I kind of knew I was headed for the Bronx, I was pretty sure I was going to E 45. As the lieutenant read the names of firefighters going to 45 my name wasn’t mentioned. Hmmm, I thought. Then he gets to my name, “Pot, your heading to 88”, the Lt  immediately looked up, with a grin and chuckle he says “Good luck, kid, you’ll be working with the famous “Tough Timmy”! 

That day we were allowed to leave early and go to our assigned firehouse. I pulled up to the Belmont Ave firehouse and introduced myself to the housewatchman. I was the only firefighter assigned to E 88 from that order. The housewatchman told me to go into the back kitchen where the day tour Lt was. I introduced myself, the Lt was kind and introduced me to my new colleagues. Then he told me I will be assigned group 14, the “Captains groups”. The kitchen erupted, “Tough Timmy”! Just you wait... because he is going to eat you up!”

I would not get to meet my new boss for a few weeks. Captain Tim Gallagher was recovering from a heroic rescue of a mentally disabled teen in a window trapped by fire. He safely removed her, but suffered severe burns. Later he would receive the Hugh Bonner medal for that rescue. But that did not let my fellow firefighters remind of the daily countdown until “HE” returns...But I’m getting ahead of myself…

Tough Timmy (TT) served with the Marines in Korea before coming to the FDNY. TT was the equivalent of the fiery NY Yankee skipper Billy Martin. Same build, same fiery temper. Look up in the dictionary the word “scrapper”, next to the word will be his photo. He was fearless in firefighting and earned widespread respect for his bravery. He was wild, he broke all the rules. He loved fire duty. He organized the FDNY Hockey league years ago and continued to play (mostly fight) well into his 60’s. He skydived. He loved you or he hated you, there was no in between, and he let you know it. He was the Captain of Engine 88, and nobody would dare tell him what to do. TT was old school legend, a war year firefighter to the core. A war year boss adjusting to the waning “war years”.

Throughout my career I have had the privilege of working with hundreds of firefighters and bosses with a kaleidoscope of personalities. The personality that impacted me most was Captain “Tough Timmy”. I had the pleasure of working literally side by side with this legend and witnessed some of the most incredible and zany ventures one would not expect. TT takes all the credit for molding me into the firefighter I became, I came to know him inside and out... It will be fun to share my recollection of an incredible boss and friend..and I have a few. Stand by.

Thanks for reading; KMG 365.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 09:31:34 PM by JohnnyGage »

Offline JohnnyGage

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 08:34:17 PM »
TOUGH TIMMY; Part 2
The Back step

It was the usual balmy summer morning in the Bronx that you expect. The role call was conducted by Captain “Tough Timmy” and positions assigned. As the guys headed in different directions to start committee work in the firehouse, the Cap pulls me aside with another firefighter, his name is Frankie. “Dan, it’s warm outside...you and Frankie ride the back step today. If we get anything run the line in, and leave your masks inside the cab...you won’t need them back there”. (The Cap had a firm "no mask" policy, but, more on that later)

“Aye, aye Cap, you got it”. Frankie and I comply without question and proceed to hang our gear on the hosebed of the American LaFrance pumper and go about our cleaning assignment.

Its the early 80's, the years of “riding the back step” are over with the new OSHA standards and the FDNY policy conforms to the regulation. But what does an OSHA standard mean to a “war year legend?”

The day proceeds on, half dozen runs here and there. Later in the afternoon as the rig rounds the corner near St. Barnabas Hospital the 7th Division Deputy Chief driving by spots us on the tailboard. Frankie and I do not have a radio, at the time as only the officer and MPO had portable radios... but we can see the Chief behind us talking on the radio as the rig pulls to the curb. He is a young looking DC.

Out of the car pops the young chief and coming toward the rear of the apparatus is the Cap. Frankie and I look at each other like two stooges standing on the tailboard. The Chief speaks first; “Hey Cap, c’mon now, you know the days of riding the back step over, get those men off the back step”. The Cap looks at us "bewildered", he puts a little shock look into his delivery; “You two know better than to be back there, get in the cab”. Frankie and I get down from the back step and proceed to the cab of the engine.

The DC now satisfied gets back in his chiefs car and takes off without a wave.

With the DC gone, the Cap comes over to me and Frankie with a grin; “...you and Frankie ride the back step. If we get anything run the line in…”

Back during the “war years”, the Captain ran the company. Captain “Tough Timmy” was not about to allow anyone to run his company…

Thanks for reading, more “Tough Timmy” stories to follow. KMG 365.

Offline manhattan

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 09:59:26 PM »
Keep 'em coming, JohnnyGage!

Offline enginecap

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 10:01:23 PM »
“Hey Cap, you want me to give a 10-75?  “
“Hell no, let the incoming units  be as surprised as we were”

I just want one more good fire

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 10:33:13 PM »

Hello Troops! Recently I had a nice conversation with the Grand PooBah Mr. Willy. Albeit, it was a little difficult chatting through the phone line connection, it seemed like I heard bags being ripped open, muffled crunching chewing sounds and what sounded like soda being slurped through a straw from the other side of this seemingly bad connection. Still we had a wonderful conversation.

Please feel free to jump in and add your thoughts, recollection or comments. I hope by passing along some of my memories, they may kick-start some of your own. Stay tuned. KMG 365.

Dan, aka "JohnnyGage", yes it was good chit chatting on the phone with you. "Your Story Is Great". These are NOT Hollywood actors.

I'm sorry you weren't able to hear me talking on the phone. But all that crunching and chewing sounds was actually coming from me eating "celery sticks". Each celery stick has about 6 calories each.

Here's a story where the guy was about to quit his firefighter job. Plus his wife about to quit her job too.

One of the largest lottery drawings is about to be announced. It is a firehouse with an engine and a truck. We would always write the winning number on a board we had in the kitchen. The Engine gets a run while the Truck stays in quarters. But one of the guys on the Engine leaves his lottery ticket on the kitchen table. A BIG MISTAKE.

His name is Brad K., and by the time he gets back, the winning number is already picked. Of course what Brad didn't know was that one of those Truckies, got Brad's number from his ticket, wrote it on the board and put it back on the table where it was. Of course that was not the right winning number, but Brad didn't know that.

Brad grabs his ticket and reads the numbers. He reads them again, louder this time. Then he reads them again - louder. He starts yelling: "I won, I won, I'm a millionaire". "I'm done, I'm outta here".

He gets on the phone to call his wife and he tells her, "Quit your job right now - we're millionaires". "Tell your boss you are all done". "Leave the place now". "I'm leaving right now too".

When things were really getting heavy, Brad would NOT believe us. "Brad you didn't win - you're not a millionaire". Finally, when we got him calmed down. He calls his wife to tell her NOT to quit her job. We didn't win. Fortunately she hadn't quit her job.

For Brad, suddenly that million dollar vision disappeared into the air. He was mad at everybody. But as most firefighters learn: "today its your turn - tomorrow its theirs".

Brad rose to the rank of battalion chief and is now retired. When it's all over, most retired firefighters would tell you; "they wish they could do it all over again". He didn't say it that day but he says that now.

Great story too, "enginecap". Sometimes there's just No Mercy. But you gotta love it.

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 08:39:20 AM »
 Here is a story that was told in a local newspaper just about three years ago.

It's titled: "Once a Fireman - Always a Fireman".

In the firehouse, this guy was GREAT. We always had a lot of fun with him because one of his favorite jobs was to cook the firehouse meal for the guys. He was really good at it. But of course no matter how good of a job he did, among a group of firefighters eating that meal, "it was never cooked right". "Cooked too much or not enough". "Too much salt or not enough salt". "We should of had mashed potatoes instead of French fries".

This would go on all the time. I think anybody who has been a part of it, can probably relate.

Here is a story about Retired Norwich (CT) Firefighter Ronnie LePage. A U.S. Marine, Korean War Veteran. We would still meet up with him every month for breakfast at a local restaurant, where of course, the stories would still be told like they happened yesterday.

Sadly, Ronnie passed away this past Saturday 3/23/19. After his retirement in 1986, he played a part in the rescue of a civilian living down the hall from him. But despite his efforts, that civilian passed away about a week later.

This is what happened that day, just about three years ago. I hope this link works.

https://www.norwichbulletin.com/article/20160403/NEWS/160409873?template=ampart   
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 11:43:57 AM by nfd2004 »

Offline raybrag

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 08:46:42 AM »
I'm sorry you weren't able to hear me talking on the phone. But all that crunching and chewing sounds was actually coming from me eating "celery sticks". Each celery stick has about 6 calories each.

Willy is the only guy I know who adds celery sticks to his Big Macs "just to hear the crunch".  8) ;) :D ;D ::)
Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

Offline fdce54

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 10:38:33 AM »

Willy is the only guy I know who adds celery sticks to his Big Macs "just to hear the crunch".  8) ;) :D ;D ::)
Ray, Willy never eats celery sticks. Those were cookies he was crunching on.

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 11:49:43 AM »
Here is a story that was told in a local newspaper just about three years ago.

It's titled: "Once a Fireman - Always a Fireman".

In the firehouse, this guy was GREAT. We always had a lot of fun with him because one of his favorite jobs was to cook the firehouse meal for the guys. He was really good at it. But of course no matter how good of a job he did, among a group of firefighters eating that meal, "it was never cooked right". "Cooked too much or not enough". "Too much salt or not enough salt". "We should of had mashed potatoes instead of French fries".

This would go on all the time. I think anybody who has been a part of it, can probably relate.

Here is a story about Retired Norwich (CT) Firefighter Ronnie LePage. A U.S. Marine, Korean War Veteran. We would still meet up with him every month for breakfast at a local restaurant, where of course, the stories would still be told like they happened yesterday.

Sadly, Ronnie passed away this past Saturday 3/23/19. After his retirement in 1986, he played a part in the rescue of a civilian living down the hall from him. But despite his efforts, that civilian passed away about a week later.

This is what happened that day, just about three years ago. I hope this link works.

Sorry guys. Link in Reply # 6, "Once a Fireman - Always a Fireman" above - corrected to:

« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 12:02:44 PM by nfd2004 »

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 08:49:19 PM »
“Tough Timmy”  Part 1

“Tough Timmy”. It wasn’t Tim, it wasn’t Timmy, it was “Tough TImmy”. I called him Cap.

The first time I heard the name of my future boss was during the last few days of Proby school. My classmates and I were to graduate shortly, the fire department orders had just come out and we new shiney firefighters were anxious to see where we would be assigned. A lieutenant held the copy in both hands and began to read off the two page, double column order. I kind of knew I was headed for the Bronx, I was pretty sure I was going to E 45. As the lieutenant read the names of firefighters going to 45 my name wasn’t mentioned. Hmmm, I thought. Then he gets to my name, “Pot, your heading to 88”, the Lt  immediately looked up, with a grin and chuckle he says “Good luck, kid, you’ll be working with the famous “Tough Timmy”! 

That day we were allowed to leave early and go to our assigned firehouse. I pulled up to the Belmont Ave firehouse and introduced myself to the housewatchman. I was the only firefighter assigned to E 88 from that order. The housewatchman told me to go into the back kitchen where the day tour Lt was. I introduced myself, the Lt was kind and introduced me to my new colleagues. Then he told me I will be assigned group 14, the “Captains groups”. The kitchen erupted, “Tough Timmy”! Just you wait... because he is going to eat you up!”

I would not get to meet my new boss for a few weeks. Captain Tim Gallagher was recovering from a heroic rescue of a mentally disabled teen in a window trapped by fire. He safely removed her, but suffered severe burns. Later he would receive the Hugh Bonner medal for that rescue. But that did not let my fellow firefighters remind of the daily countdown until “HE” returns...But I’m getting ahead of myself…

Tough Timmy (TT) served with the Marines in Korea before coming to the FDNY. TT was the equivalent of the fiery NY Yankee skipper Billy Martin. Same build, same fiery temper. Look up in the dictionary the word “scrapper”, next to the word will be his photo. He was fearless in firefighting and earned widespread respect for his bravery. He was wild, he broke all the rules. He loved fire duty. He organized the FDNY Hockey league years ago and continued to play (mostly fight) well into his 60’s. He skydived. He loved you or he hated you, there was no in between, and he let you know it. He was the Captain of Engine 88, and nobody would dare tell him what to do. TT was old school legend, a war year firefighter to the core. A war year boss adjusting to the waning “war years”.

Throughout my career I have had the privilege of working with hundreds of firefighters and bosses with a kaleidoscope of personalities. The personality that impacted me most was Captain “Tough Timmy”. I had the pleasure of working literally side by side with this legend and witnessed some of the most incredible and zany ventures one would not expect. TT takes all the credit for molding me into the firefighter I became, I came to know him inside and out... It will be fun to share my recollection of an incredible boss and friend..and I have a few. Stand by.

Thanks for reading; KMG 365.

Firefighters turn out for 'Tough Timmy'
Posted November 25, 2015
By Will Speros

A blaze was ripping through the third floor of 711 E. 183rd St. during the afternoon of May 28, 1982. Led by Capt. Timothy Gallagher, the Bronx’s Engine 88/Ladder 38 responded to the fire, according to a FDNY newsletter published this month. Mr. Gallagher, a Kingsbridge resident, soon saw the face of a mentally disabled teen named Aracelis Santiago in a third-floor window and raced up the fire escape to reach her. 

As the flames closed in and the ceiling began to collapse, Ms. Santiago broke away in panic. But with the help of his fellow firefighters, Capt. Gallagher was able to bring the 18-year-old to safety. The captain, who suffered severe burns, received awards including the FDNY’s Hugh Bonner Medal for firefighters who lead by example.

Friends and colleagues remembered Capt. Gallagher for a career full of bravery at his funeral at St. Margaret’s of Cortona Church on Nov. 16. Capt. Gallagher died of natural causes at the age of 86, according to a fellow firefighter.

Numerous FDNY members reflected on Capt. Gallagher’s career during services.

“Timmy was a legend on his job,” said Lt. Pete Critsimilios. “He embodied all the qualities good in this world.”

Prior to joining the FDNY, Capt. Gallagher fought as a Marine during the Korean War. After he became a firefighter, he helped organize the FDNY’s hockey team in 1968 with two teammates on a squad with players from the 14th Battalion, the Bronx Bums. The New York City Fire Department Hockey Team now competes around the world, and 96 of the city’s firehouses play in the annual “King of the Ice” firehouse tournament.

Remembered by many as “Tough Timmy” or “Terrible Timmy,” Capt. Gallagher earned widespread respect for his bravery while fighting fires out of Engine 88/Ladder 38 on Belmont Avenue.

“He was wild. He broke all the rules,” Capt. Gallagher’s friend Sheila O’Rourke recalled.

(from The Riverdale Press)

Offline JohnnyGage

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 09:20:28 PM »
TOUGH TIMMY: Part 3
Da Caper

Working a day tour in L 38 with another brother, named Joey. On the apparatus floor heading to the kitchen he mentions something is odd, something missing. Walking in and out of the kitchen during the day for runs, etc we kept noticing something was missing. Then finally we figured it out. Over the door to the kitchen was a large key, similar to the 1620 key. It was handmade by a member, about 3 feet long, two foot wide. It was painted bright yellow with wording “Da Key to Da Bronx”. A pride ornament hanging above the kitchen door. Now it was gone, missing, stolen.

The night before L 38 caught a job, in the HW journal we noticed L 19 relocated. It was easy to detect...it was well known L 19 like to amuse themselves by copping something from any company they relocated to as a memento. We knew in an instant who was behind this theft, we were not about to let this gag go...and so we devised this plan!

Joey got on the department phone in the truck side kitchen... dials L 19’s department phone. “Listen in he says”. I put my ear next to his. The conversation goes like this:

L 19 HW: 19 Truck FF so and so…
Joey (acting Capt Gallagher):  This is Capt Gallagher of E 88, put the truck  boss on the phone.

Pause

L 19, Lt So and so.
Joey:...(In a gnarly voice only Joey can do)... Hey Lt, your company took a piece of property from MY firehouse that is very personal to me and I want it back, pronto.
L 19: I’m not sure I know what your talking about.
Joey: You know damn well what I’m talking about, the key sign that was hanging over the kitchen, that said “Da key to Da Bronx”... I want it back now.
L 19: I’m still not sure what you are talking about, Cap, but I’ll look into it…
Joey: Listen to me, if that key is not returned by tomorrow morning I’m going to come down and personally punch you in the nose! This is Capt. Gallagher...
L 19: YOU WHAT? LISTEN TO ME! I DON’T CARE WHO YOU ARE...I’LL COME UP THERE AND PUNCH YOU IN THE NOSE!
Joey: Go ahead, just make sure you bring my sign with you, I’ll be waiting!

With that Joey slams down the phone.

Wow, that was great, we let them have it!

Now toward the end of the day tour we are preparing to head home. However,  Capt Gallagher was coming in for the night tour and he is headed up to his office. All of a sudden we realize, we better say something to him...what would happen if L 19 showed up in front of quarters with a pretty angry and p-oed boss.

We slipped into his office where he was changing into his duty uniform. “Cap, something we should tell you…” , we go on and tell him about the phone call... “We don’t want you to be blindsided if this Lt comes charging in to punch you in the nose!”

Capt “Tough Timmy” lets off a howl laughing!... “Soon as I see him I’ll let him have it right between his eyes, I’ll punch him in the nose before he knows what's happening”.

Thankfully the next morning, the sign was propped up against the firehouse door without incident.

More TT stories to follow, stay tuned...thanks for reading! KMG-365.

(Thanks mack for above post! Outstanding.)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 09:29:27 PM by JohnnyGage »

Offline JohnnyGage

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 07:30:39 PM »
MEALS; Part 1

Engine 88 and Ladder 38 has a reputation for being one of the cleanest firehouses in the city.The second floor could be considered a museum with historical house artifacts and photos promptly displayed in orderly fashion in the hallways. The “Original” bunks were reconditioned to look new. Clean? It would not be unusual to see someone cleaning the kitchen at all hours of the night. Some members would stay up, not rest and just clean the fridge or oven between runs. L 38 was considered a “senior truck”. There was only a handful of us young guns that learned from the senior masters. Heck, I wasn’t even allowed to wash the rig, I was shown how to wash the rims! Yes, it was a senior house...It is also well known to many that firefighters eat very well, some firehouses have guys that cook very well, some firehouses have outstanding Chefs. I was very lucky to work in both.

L 38 was one of those shops that had Chefs. I recall at least three very well respected "war years" firefighters that could have operated a four star restaurant in the City. What also would be an asset was that the firehouse was a stone's throw from Arthur Avenue, the Little Italy section of the Bronx where people come from all over to shop fresh produce, fish, meats, bread, pasta and pastry. We shopped there daily to procure our meals.

It was in “Little Italy” that I have to give thanks to a grandma type Italian woman that worked in a store on E 187 Street that made fresh pasta and ravioli. She showed this young lad the way she would  make a red sauce for her family and gave me her recipe (it’s a “gravy” when you add meat, so I was told). To this day it is a recipe that stood solid through my career especially when I cooked regularly upon my transfer to Bushwick.

Back to L 38 chefs. We had three Chefs with three distinctive styles; Senior man Gil made outstanding comfort food. To this day I recall his sweet and sour chicken dish. Fried medallions of white meat chicken, lightly drizzled with “Chinese Duck Sauce”, sauted onions along with thin sliced red, yellow and “hot” green peppers, chopped pineapple and a few maraschino cherries for color. Stir the mixture, then placed in the oven, covered. At just the right time, removed from oven and spooned over yellow fluffy rice. If Gil wasn’t working we had Senior man “Sidecar” Tom. Tom was a throwback fisherman, one of the four ladder chauffeurs...who would wear dark brown dockers instead of work duty black shoes!. He would create outrageous fresh fish dinners, never the same style, never fried...crazy delicious. Then there was Ray. Ray and his wife would eat at the finest restaurants. He would select something very different on the menu, ask how the chef prepared it and what ingredients he used. Ray was a very friendly guy, you met him you instantly liked him. The next day Ray worked, he had already shopped for the items he needed to replicate the meal he had the night before. It was exciting to see Ray come into the firehouse with bags and bags of the components he would need to assemble his dish. You could see the look of determination, the laser focus,  on his face as soon as he entered the kitchen with arms full, eager to get his meal going!

It got around the job about the L 38 meals. In fact we had Fire Commissioner Spinnato and his driver dine with us on many occasion...we even had a special menu created and printed when he came! Author and renown war years legend firefighter Dennis Smith ran a contest in his “Firehouse Magazine” for some kind of essay, I forget now the topic, however the first place winner won cash and a dinner at a NYC Firehouse. Yep, L 38. I worked that night the recipient guests walked into our kitchen. I could say their reaction was “amazing”...but that would not be descriptive enough.

Everyone working played a role during meal prep, you either sliced and diced, grated cheese, or  stationed yourself at the sink to wash used utensils, pots and pans. Basically it was known; “If you are not in the kitchen during meal prep, you are in the wrong place”.

All our meals were served with different styles of fresh Italian bread. We had a policy with “Sidecar” Tom... no knife would touch the bread, we ripped it with our (clean) hands. Of course the dinner did not just end. Afterwards was always fresh pastry from one of the many local pastry shops, Italian cookies or cheese cake. And what fine meal wouldn’t be complete with a hot espresso with a small sliced lemon peel?

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed...stay tuned for MEALS; Part 2, “Eating with the rats”...KMG-365
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 10:02:22 PM by JohnnyGage »

Offline bxengine

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 08:35:51 AM »
This is my favorite new thread. Its nice to hear these stories, especially now with the constant “the job has changed” stuff....its a reminder that although we may have more issues with who gets hired nowadays, some of these stories could have happened my last set in. Same circus, different clowns.

Offline Lebby

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2019, 12:05:21 PM »
I once heard a story about Captain Gallagher being told to switch the ECC by a Battalion Chief and driving his desk over to him to give him what he needed to run his company. Do you know the full story?

anything