Author Topic: VINTAGE FDNY WAR YEAR LIDS  (Read 205119 times)

Offline JohnnyGage

Re: VINTAGE FDNY WAR YEAR LIDS
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2019, 07:32:37 AM »
Rare helmet finials:

SERPENT

FOX

GREYHOUND

BEAVER

SEA HORSE

LION

TWO FINIALS IN ONE; FIREMAN AND BUGLE FINIAL...WITH FIREMAN WEARING EAGLE FINIAL!  (Note unusual frontpiece fron Niagra NY)

« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 07:51:47 AM by JohnnyGage »

Nycfire.net

« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2019, 07:32:37 AM »

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2019, 09:18:48 AM »
 Thank You "JohnnyGage" for these dozens of photos of Vintage Lids. They bring us back to years gone by. Wore by firefighters who also battled the flames and smoke.

Throughout the years, they too, risked their lives in order to save others. Maybe the helmets were different. Maybe the uniforms were different, the gear worn, the types of fire trucks from horse drawn to motor driven. But they did the job too, from volunteer to city paid.

These fire helmets tell a story of a time gone by. In some cases a time before most of us were around. For others, a time when the number of fires burned blocks of neighborhoods down.

Below is just one of the photos taken from this topic. It is one example that tells of a different time. A time gone by when all hope was lost in neighborhoods that just disappeared. This helmet can NOT talk, but it can tell all of us a story of what it might have been like to be a firefighter in those days gone by.

Thanks Dan, aka "JohnnyGage", for all the effort you have put into telling this story to us.

https://postimg.cc/nXPy12C4 

Offline JohnnyGage

« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2019, 02:52:21 PM »
^^^^^^Thanks Willy, every helmet is a fireman's resume! One look tells a story....I posted the helmet image you mention above. I had to add Unk Jacks R3 lid. The Capt of  L 31 told him he needed another helmet when he transferred in. Notice on Jacks helmets rear brim is cut...he did that cutting a roof when his helmet fell off and he couldn't see due to heavy smoke while operating the partner saw.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2019, 10:45:42 AM »
Babe Ruth - FDNY helmet:

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2019, 10:56:10 AM »
Quote from a Florida FDNY retiree site:

“If my helmet could talk, it would cough."

Offline CVILLE 7111

« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2019, 11:52:03 AM »
I recall a blurb (in WNYF?) regarding helmet being field tested by a truck in the Bronx.  Does anyone recall and/or have any info on that?  It was back during the War Years.

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2019, 02:25:20 PM »
i thought that was Willy D in the photo shown in reply # 108 above ?.....funny that this came up now as Monday i was with Willy in Bayside (yes he was having a burger) & on the wall was the original picture this clip was from showing Babe Ruth standing next to a Cop (or another player with a Cop's Hat & Jacket on) taken on the field in a Baseball Stadium.

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #112 on: June 12, 2019, 02:35:48 PM »
I recall a blurb (in WNYF?) regarding helmet being field tested by a truck in the Bronx.  Does anyone recall and/or have any info on that?  It was back during the War Years.
Yes those were the "Darth Vader" Helmets i know LAD*19 had them as well as some other Units...during the early 1976 Atlantic Ave Supermarket Fire some of the Members of R*2 lost their Helmets in the Rescue of several FFs as well as the recovery of FF Charlie Sanchez LAD*131 RIP...the Job had collected these Helmets back from the Units testing them & gave one to each R*2 FF while they were having new Helmets made...the consensus was NG...they had no brim so hot water ran right down & worse the suspension had an opening all around (sort of like a football helmet) & this allowed heat to build up inside the Helmet....after the R*2 guys got new Helmets the Job did not even collect the "Darth Vaders" back..they were sitting on the gear rack when i got to R*2 in 1977 & remained laying around for quite awhile collecting dust .....FF Charlie Sanchez was the first FF from my proby class to become a LODD...he was a US Marine & Squad Leader in the proby class.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 02:54:00 PM by 68jk09 »

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: June 12, 2019, 03:08:59 PM »
i thought that was Willy D in the photo shown in reply # 108 above ?.....funny that this came up now as Monday i was with Willy in Bayside (yes he was having a burger) & on the wall was the original picture this clip was from showing Babe Ruth standing next to a Cop (or another player with a Cop's Hat & Jacket on) taken on the field in a Baseball Stadium.

Chief - Babe Ruth in fire gear was standing next to Lou Gehrig in a cop uniform - I believe it was at a NYPD-FDNY game at Yankee Stadium, about 1930.

And Babe does look like Willy D.

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #114 on: June 12, 2019, 04:52:36 PM »
This picture has been on the wall with other sports memorabilia ....i always thought it might be Yankee Stadium since the Babe had an ENG*68 Helemt on...i never realized it was Lou Gehrig next to him.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #115 on: June 12, 2019, 05:58:11 PM »
Yes those were the "Darth Vader" Helmets i know LAD*19 had them as well as some other Units...during the early 1976 Atlantic Ave Supermarket Fire some of the Members of R*2 lost their Helmets in the Rescue of several FFs as well as the recovery of FF Charlie Sanchez LAD*131 RIP...the Job had collected these Helmets back from the Units testing them & gave one to each R*2 FF while they were having new Helmets made...the consensus was NG...they had no brim so hot water ran right down & worse the suspension had an opening all around (sort of like a football helmet) & this allowed heat to build up inside the Helmet....after the R*2 guys got new Helmets the Job did not even collect the "Darth Vaders" back..they were sitting on the gear rack when i got to R*2 in 1977 & remained laying around for quite awhile collecting dust .....FF Charlie Sanchez was the first FF from my proby class to become a LODD...he was a US Marine & Squad Leader in the proby class.

WNYF 1975 1st Issue:

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: June 12, 2019, 06:09:23 PM »
...during the early 1976 Atlantic Ave Supermarket Fire some of the Members of R*2 lost their Helmets in the Rescue of several FFs as well as the recovery of FF Charlie Sanchez LAD*131 RIP .....FF Charlie Sanchez was the first FF from my proby class to become a LODD...he was a US Marine & Squad Leader in the proby class.

FF Charles Sanchez, Ladder 131, Brooklyn box 55-532, Atlantic Avenue and Court Street, floor collapse, trapped in basement, January 7, 1976

« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 06:11:39 PM by mack »

Offline JohnnyGage

« Reply #117 on: June 12, 2019, 06:45:32 PM »
1966 Fahrenheit 451

1975 Ladder 19

« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 06:47:06 PM by JohnnyGage »

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #118 on: June 12, 2019, 07:42:15 PM »
Yes those were the helmets...i never actually saw the NASA Masks designed to go with the Helmets but the masks whether good or not were not adopted (at least in the original form) .....the helmets alone were sent to R*2 after the supermarket incident but no new masks.

Offline CFDMarshal

« Reply #119 on: June 12, 2019, 07:49:28 PM »
Cairns 660 or 770. One was called the Phoenix and one was the Philadelphia.

anything