Author Topic: A MEDICAL MESSAGE FROM A BROTHER.  (Read 478 times)

Offline 68jk09

A MEDICAL MESSAGE FROM A BROTHER.
« on: May 10, 2019, 07:15:40 PM »
QUOTE...From an FDNY member. QUOTE...
Hello all,

I want to relate a medical emergency that I just went through in order to alert you to the Medicare benefits that are due you.

I recently had a routine semi-annual visit to my GP. Everything looked good and I had no complaints or symptoms of anything wrong. I informed my doctor that I recently received an email from Medicare alerting me to many preventive care benefits to which I was entitled for free.

I told him that I wanted to make use of this when I returned to Florida in October. He asked if I had any problems and I said no but that I wanted a complete cardiac checkup. He agreed and started the process with an EKG and carotid artery sonogram in his office.

I didn’t even get to the EKG. The sonogram tech noticed a major blockage in my left carotid artery and the doctor sent me for an MRI the next day. Diagnoses was an 85%+ blockage in my left carotid artery requiring immediate surgery.

I was referred to a vascular surgeon who agreed about the size of the blockage and the need to treat it immediately. Two days ago, I went through the surgery to remove the blockage and it turned out that the blockage was over 95% and I could have suffered a stroke.

I had no symptoms and if I hadn’t requested the tests, I would have been in my car driving 20-hours up to New Jersey.

Bottom line is everyone should not only be aware of the medical tests available through Medicare, but you should insist on your doctor giving them to you.
neck.jpg

Have a great and healthy summer

Tom Guldner

Here is a list of the preventive care tests and procedures available on the Medicare website. Make use of them. Go to the Medicare website and see what else you can do.

Preventive & screening services
Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers:
Abdominal aortic aneurysm screening
Alcohol misuse screenings & counseling
Bone mass measurements (bone density)
Cardiovascular disease screenings
Cardiovascular disease (behavioral therapy)
Cervical & vaginal cancer screening
Colorectal cancer screenings
Multi-target stool DNA tests
Screening barium enemas
Screening colonoscopies
Screening fecal occult blood tests
Screening flexible sigmoidoscopies
Depression screenings
Diabetes screenings
Diabetes self-management training
Glaucoma tests
Hepatitis B Virus (HBV) infection screening
Hepatitis C screening test
HIV screening
Lung cancer screening
Mammograms (screening)
Nutrition therapy services
Obesity screenings & counseling
One-time “Welcome to Medicare” preventive visit
Prostate cancer screenings
Sexually transmitted infections screening & counseling
Shots:
Flu shots
Hepatitis B shots
Pneumococcal shots
Tobacco use cessation counseling
Yearly "Wellness" visit.... UNQUOTE.

Nycfire.net

A MEDICAL MESSAGE FROM A BROTHER.
« on: May 10, 2019, 07:15:40 PM »

Offline Bulldog

Re: A MEDICAL MESSAGE FROM A BROTHER.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 07:54:38 PM »
Another test that is available and paid for by Medicare as well as many other insurance policies is Cologuard. It's a noninvasive test for colon cancer and many tactics recommended for those who don't have a family history of colon cancer. It's very simple and easy. Obviously it's especially good for those who fear having a traditional colonoscopy.

Offline manhattan

Re: A MEDICAL MESSAGE FROM A BROTHER.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 10:38:03 PM »
Thanks for these posts.  I hope they get the attention and follow-up that they deserve.