Author Topic: New Marine 1 for Norwich (CT) FD  (Read 1528 times)

Offline johnd248

• Aux. Lieut. at E. 248 1964-73
New Marine 1 for Norwich (CT) FD
« on: June 10, 2019, 02:12:01 PM »
Saw an impressive slide show of the christening of a new Marine 1 for the Norwich FD.  It is named for a former Chief of the Norwich department.  Pictures included several retired members of the NFD.  There was even a picture of the food and folks eating.  What, surprisingly, was not there, our own Willy D, retired Captain of the Norwich FD.  When does he miss a free meal?  Perhaps, he felt the boat should have been named after him.

Nycfire.net

New Marine 1 for Norwich (CT) FD
« on: June 10, 2019, 02:12:01 PM »

Offline fdce54

Re: New Marine 1 for Norwich (CT) FD
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 03:28:43 PM »
Saw an impressive slide show of the christening of a new Marine 1 for the Norwich FD.  It is named for a former Chief of the Norwich department.  Pictures included several retired members of the NFD.  There was even a picture of the food and folks eating.  What, surprisingly, was not there, our own Willy D, retired Captain of the Norwich FD.  When does he miss a free meal?  Perhaps, he felt the boat should have been named after him.
John, That is Willy D's new yacht but I am surprised at him missing a free meal. He must have been out getting fitted for his new sea captains outfit.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 03:32:52 PM by fdce54 »

Offline johnd248

• Aux. Lieut. at E. 248 1964-73
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 03:53:14 PM »
Excellent Frank.  Gives a whole new meaning to Ol' Captain Willy D.

Offline fdce54

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 03:58:23 PM »
Thanks John but I think I posted the wrong photo of Willy D. I think this is him......

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 08:23:09 AM »
Thanks John but I think I posted the wrong photo of Willy D. I think this is him......

Actually the photo in the above quote is CORRECT.

One of the very FIRST things taught to any firefighter/officer in the department manning the boat was this:

Whenever under the operations of this Marine Vessel and Willy D is on board, always bear in mind that Willy D can NOT swim. He needs to be rescued himself if he enters the water under any circumstances.

In addition, Please make sure he (Willy D) is NOT in the sun too long. That sunshine could have some serious effects on him and he may require more treatment than those who are being rescued and treated in the original incident.

Seriously, the boat was named after the recently retired Fire Chief Ken Scandariato, aka Chief Scand. Chief Scand was able to acquire funding to replace the former 30 year old Marine Unit which was beyond repairs, when the city told him there was no money available to purchase this marine unit. Working with the Federal Government, also a U.S. Coast Guard Commander, and two Norwich fire officers (including one former Coast Guard member) and two firefighters, the boat was designed and developed.

It was decided by the members of the Norwich FD (IAFF 892) to name that boat after the retired chief (Chief Scandaraito) in his honor for all the efforts he put forth to make that possible.

Norwich Marine 1 covers the Thames River from Norwich to New London (about a 12 mile area). It could also cover Long Island Sound in Eastern, Ct if needed.

Offline CFDMarshal

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 08:36:35 AM »
But in the Navy a Captain has rank over a Chief. So it should be Captain Dennis! Just my humble opinion!

Offline fdce54

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 09:14:34 AM »
There is a new updated photo of Captain Dennis that was just brought to my attention....

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 09:36:43 AM »

See what you started John (johnd248) with all your buddies out there.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 08:35:43 PM »
Dedication of new fireboat - "Chief Scand":

https://www.theday.com/article/20190608/NWS01/190609496

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 12:52:14 PM »
 Here is a video that was passed onto me in which Norwich (Ct) Fire Lt Nate Kannas, explains the newly purchased Marine 1 Fire Boat just prior to it going into service.

Lt Kannas had spent 4 years in the U.S. Coast Guard prior to becoming a firefighter. He is accompanied by Lt Tim Teper, Firefighters Adam Griffin, and Brenden Johnson, all who I believe have boating experience as well. These members played a large part in the designing of that fire boat.

Here is Lt Nate Kannas explaining a little more about it.

anything