Author Topic: THROWBACK THURSDAY  (Read 59091 times)

Online JohnnyGage

Re: THROWBACK THURSDAY
« Reply #210 on: March 18, 2020, 08:47:18 PM »
NO. 25: "THE NAKED CITY"

REMEMBER....for adults

REMEMBER...for kids

WHATSHISNAME...

A

B

C

D

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

"WHAT EVER YOU DO TO THE REST OF YOU,   YOUR FACE BELONGS TO ________________

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

WHAT IS THIS?

« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 08:54:14 PM by JohnnyGage »

Nycfire.net

« Reply #210 on: March 18, 2020, 08:47:18 PM »

Offline raybrag

« Reply #211 on: March 18, 2020, 09:07:52 PM »
A. Mr. Whipple (Please don't squeeze the Charmin!)
B. My memory fails me.
C. Mr. Ed (Alan Young's best bud)
D. Mr. Television (Milton Berle)

A playground slide.

"WHAT EVER YOU DO TO THE REST OF YOU,   YOUR FACE BELONGS TO ___NOXZEMA_____________
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 10:28:16 PM by raybrag »
Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

Offline t123ken

« Reply #212 on: March 18, 2020, 09:39:55 PM »
B. Davey and Goliath
D. Milton Berle, but more accurately Louie the Lilac from Batman.

We used to call it a sliding pond.

Offline t123ken

« Reply #213 on: March 18, 2020, 09:47:25 PM »
Seeing the photo of the cigarette machine reminds me that the Job used to have either a PA/ID or an AUC on cigarette machines in quarters.

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #214 on: March 18, 2020, 10:27:12 PM »
I remember when cigarettes went up to 24 cents.....the machine required a quarter & the cigarette manufacturer had placed the penny change inside the cellophane wrapper just for use in vending machines.

Online JohnnyGage

« Reply #216 on: March 25, 2020, 09:26:01 PM »
NO. 26; "THE NAKED CITY"

SCOUTING:

"WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?"

"WHAT IS THE 'CHARACTERS' NAME?"....and not the Skipper.

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #217 on: March 26, 2020, 01:19:17 AM »
1st photo on the Subway ....the girl is the then Lisa Sliwa Wife of Guardian Angels founder Curtis Sliwa.....they later divorced & she took back her maiden name Lisa Evers & is today a reporter on Fox 5 TV News   https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&channel=mac_bm&source=hp&ei=ZT58XqGnIIGvytMPpO2goAs&q=lisa+evers&oq=lisa+evers&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l10.3150.6201..7165...0.0..0.114.764.9j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i131.mBJR1rsKScA&ved=0ahUKEwjh7eL4tLfoAhWBl3IEHaQ2CLQQ4dUDCAs&uact=5   ....Curtis  does a radio show & does appearances on Spectrum NY1 News political discussions dressed in various costumes usually ranking mayor wilhelm & other politicians     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtis_Sliwa  .....Curtis is also the surrogate Father of the children of former QNS Boro President & current QNS District Attorney Melinda Katz....https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&channel=mac_bm&source=hp&ei=_D58XozjH9SyytMPwYyEiAw&q=melinda+katz&oq=melinda+katz&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l10.2581.8061..11556...0.0..0.107.897.11j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......  0i131.ryxQ81ZJ7uU&ved=0ahUKEwiM0eLAtbfoAhVUmXIEHUEGAcEQ4dUDCAs&uact=5
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 01:37:20 AM by 68jk09 »

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #218 on: March 26, 2020, 02:15:49 AM »
3rd photo is a "mess kit" ...2 halves of metal plates one flat & one compartmented with a handle attached to use in Mess Lines ...in the USMC we all had a set....as you lined up to enter the Mess Tent there was first a GI Can (garbage can) with a burner underneath filled with boiling water & some caustic soap.....second there was another can of clear boiling water ....you held the pieces by the end of the handle & cautiously dipped the combo into the 2 cans then it air dried (somewhat) as you proceeded into the Mess Tent....i always wondered what the caustic soap in the first can actually was ? .....then again it probably did not make much difference as one of my early Base's was Camp Lejuene which is still under the Camp Lejuene Toxic Water Study from ground water contaminated with INDUSTRIAL CHEMICLE'S  back then    ...   https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&channel=mac_bm&source=hp&ei=YFF8Xrr7J6TJ1QHrv5WwAg&q=camp+lejeune+water+issues&oq=CAMP+LEJUENE+WATER&gs_l=psy-ab.1.2.0i10l10.15231.27093..30689...19.0..0.238.310.1j0j1......0....1..gws-wiz.....6..0i362i308i154i357j0i131j0j0i13.YULcCCZe64o
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 03:06:04 AM by 68jk09 »

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #219 on: March 26, 2020, 02:25:58 AM »
4th photo is a obviously a Boy Scout version of a type similar to a Swiss Army knife.....to this day i still almost always have my Swiss Army Knife (the "Bicyclist" model on my belt) of course unless going anywhere with a metal detector.

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #220 on: March 26, 2020, 07:57:58 AM »
 Johnny, "The Skipper" as he was known from the very popular TV series "Gilligan's Island" actual name is; Alan Hale. After doing a little cheating, much like I did in my younger school days to get through, I found that info. "Gilligan's Island" was another one of those great TV series as has been discussed on this site in "Television from a different time" in the History section.

Interesting, but "The Skipper", actually served at sea, owned a lobster restaurant, and booked boat cruises in real life.

Sorry about the little cheating I had to do Johnny to find his name, "but it was kinda bugging me".

Regarding that Swiss Army knife, I too have one. I keep it in the Willy Ds Buff Mobile all the time.

Of course the old Boy Scout Handbook was the bible for so many of us young guys back in those days. I remember they had a merit badge that was given for "Firemanship". It taught us all about fire extinguishers and how to use them, what to do in case of a fire, and how to prevent a fire from happening. I passed that all on my own, WITHOUT CHEATING.

Once again, THANK YOU Johnny for your "Throwback Thursdays", as some of us more senior members go back to the days of such a different time.

Offline fdce54

« Reply #221 on: March 26, 2020, 08:05:59 AM »
Photo #2 is of the Boy Scout Pinewood Derby cars at the starting line ready to race.

Online JohnnyGage

« Reply #222 on: March 26, 2020, 09:50:35 AM »
Johnny, "The Skipper" as he was known from the very popular TV series "Gilligan's Island" actual name is; Alan Hale. After doing a little cheating, much like I did in my younger school days to get through, I found that info. "Gilligan's Island" was another one of those great TV series as has been discussed on this site in "Television from a different time" in the History section.

Interesting, but "The Skipper", actually served at sea, owned a lobster restaurant, and booked boat cruises in real life.

Sorry about the little cheating I had to do Johnny to find his name, "but it was kinda bugging me".

Regarding that Swiss Army knife, I too have one. I keep it in the Willy Ds Buff Mobile all the time.

Of course the old Boy Scout Handbook was the bible for so many of us young guys back in those days. I remember they had a merit badge that was given for "Firemanship". It taught us all about fire extinguishers and how to use them, what to do in case of a fire, and how to prevent a fire from happening. I passed that all on my own, WITHOUT CHEATING.

Once again, THANK YOU Johnny for your "Throwback Thursdays", as some of us more senior members go back to the days of such a different time.

Thanks Willy for sharing. Yes, the photo is of Alan Hale, BUT the character portrayed in the photo above was BEFORE Gilligans Island, sorry little buddy. The question is "what is the "characters" name  Hale is portraying in the photo?  Hint; the television series lasted one season just before 1960...that's the twist...

I was in the Boy Scouts for a couple of years, the ONLY merit badge I earned, like you, was the "FIREMANSHIP" merit badge, I didn't give a hoot about the others ( the firemanship merit badge is top right in photo #8; collection of merit badges). Also, while completeing the merit badge at the local volunteer firehouse, I was told about the new "Junior Fireman" program that was being developed. I became charter member of the junior fireman program and turned my canteen in with the Boy Scouts.

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #223 on: March 26, 2020, 10:47:20 AM »

Thanks Willy for sharing. Yes, the photo is of Alan Hale, BUT the character portrayed in the photo above was BEFORE Gilligans Island, sorry little buddy. The question is "what is the "characters" name  Hale is portraying in the photo?  Hint; the television series lasted one season just before 1960...that's the twist...

I was in the Boy Scouts for a couple of years, the ONLY merit badge I earned, like you, was the "FIREMANSHIP" merit badge, I didn't give a hoot about the others ( the firemanship merit badge is top right in photo #8; collection of merit badges). Also, while completeing the merit badge at the local volunteer firehouse, I was told about the new "Junior Fireman" program that was being developed. I became charter member of the junior fireman program and turned my canteen in with the Boy Scouts.

Johnny, after going through all that extra effort to cheat, in the long run it really didn't pay off. I guess for me just another lesson learned as I am still tying to grow up to be a "mature adult". I guess for some of us, "it just takes soooo long".

We didn't have any "Junior Fireman" program in my day. I sure wish they did. But I would ride my bike with one of those pull chain sirens and some old rubber boots and a rain coat in a basket, chasing the fire trucks when they went by. Of course in my mind, I really thought I was a junior fireman. Sometimes if there was a fire, the guys would let me help them pick up the hose. WOW, how great that was. Some of them knew my father who was also on the job or they knew me when I used to go to the firehouse with him to pick up his pay check. (for photo of those days see: "COVID-19" - replies #33 and #34 in "Fire Operations"). 

Offline 1261Truckie

« Reply #224 on: March 26, 2020, 11:01:58 AM »
Alan Hale Jr = Casey Jones (from a short lived - no pun intended - TV series of the same name)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 02:29:43 PM by 1261Truckie »

anything