Author Topic: High Ladders  (Read 22964 times)

Offline guitarman314

• Photobucket
Re: High Ladders
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 09:50:55 AM »

Found Rig  Marked High Ladder
  The rig in your photo already had it's Magirus 144 ft. aerial replaced with a 100 ft. Grove.

Nycfire.net

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 09:50:55 AM »

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 09:57:02 AM »
I made a mistake.  The "telephone booth" ladders were the 100' Seagrave Rearmounts (1970).  These had seating for 7 members, one on the side.

Offline HelsinkiFire

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 10:57:32 AM »
Yes, John, 144 feet.
Only 144 feet.
It's understandable as you guys use a different kind of laddertruck philosophy than we in Europe.
A member from 4,123 miles away.

Offline bklyndisp54

• FDNY Dispatcher 1970-1980: S.I. & Brooklyn
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 11:15:20 AM »
Yes, John, 144 feet.
...a different kind of laddertruck philosophy than we in Europe.

Please give us a summary of these different outlooks.  Thanks! 

Offline raybrag

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 11:17:03 AM »
Magirus makes aerials up to 55 meters (178 feet) today. They're widely used in Europe and other places around the world.
Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

Offline vbcapt

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 12:17:30 PM »
Does anybody remember a Metz aerial ? They made high ladders also, I remember Green Bay having one a long time ago on a old Seagrave body. It was around 140 ft.
When you get promoted, it doesn't make your subordinates dumb

Offline HelsinkiFire

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2010, 12:27:49 PM »
Magirus makes aerials up to 55 meters (178 feet) today. They're widely used in Europe and other places around the world.

We have in Helsinki at the time a 178 feet tall ladder. (Helsinki 16)
Pic of Helsinki 16: http://kuvalle.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Emergency+units+from+Finland/Helsinki/Helsinki+16+.jpg
We are getting a new 16 this year, I've heard it's going to be around 235 feet tall.
Bronto Skylift is the manufacturer.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 12:39:03 PM by HelsinkiVolunteer »

Offline truckman

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2010, 01:18:26 PM »
What do you ladder with that thing.....the clouds or heaven?

Offline raybrag

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2010, 02:01:40 PM »
Helsinki, won't the new Bronto be a 3-section articulating platform (Snorkel type) rather than a straight stick aerial?  There are a few Bronto Skylifts in the USA, but not many. And articulating platforms seem to have lost favor in this country.
Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

Offline mikeindabronx

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2010, 03:13:43 PM »
HLA looks like a pretty impressive piece of equipment.The web site is definitely worth a visit.

Offline HelsinkiFire

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2010, 04:15:59 PM »
What do you ladder with that thing.....the clouds or heaven?
We use ladder trucks differently than you do in the States.
For examplel water rescue is easy to do if the victim is near the shore .
Just use the ladder truck to get to the victim and lift him up to the basket.
Fast and easy.

Our "snorkel"type ladders are also more practical than your "ladder" type ladders. Our ladders are able to get above the house, cause the ladder isn't "straight" it has the joint in the ladder piece.

Some pics of Helsinki 66:
http://kuvalle.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Incidents+in+Helsinki/A+fire+on+the+7th+floor+of+a+multiple+dwelling.+/A+lot+of+smoke+only+10+minutes+after+the+original+dispatch.jpg
and
http://kuvalle.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Incidents+in+Helsinki/A+fire+on+the+7th+floor+of+a+multiple+dwelling.+/Helsinki+4+ja+16.jpg

Offline ladder197

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2010, 07:59:50 PM »
I believe NASA has a 235 ft bronto for launch pad maintenance, there are three brontos in service in NJ, although they take a little longer to set up,they are pretty versatile, great for roofs with parapets, they can do below grade rescues off bridges, up over primary wires with out getting too close. They get a bit trickey to operate if you have the pump engaged and the aerial operating.

Offline 69 METS

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2010, 08:46:02 PM »
I always found it to be quite a workout climbing the aerial while carrying the Partner Saw to the roof of a 6 or 7 story MD (It was even more of a workout when you did it 3 or 4 times the same tour!). As far as what F.D.N.Y. specifies for aerial operations, it's all been well thought out and the department has a tremendous amount of experience when it comes to operating at high places whether fighting a fire or performing a rescue. F.D.N.Y. has set firefighting standards throughout its long history and continues to do so today.

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2010, 09:37:40 PM »
That is well put "69mets". If depts followed the FDNY questions would have been answered. I always wondered why many chiefs or depts didn't just ask the advice of the FDNY and get an answer to their problem. They test any new equipment, tactics etc. And you name it, they got it. From the highrises of Manhattan to the single family frames in parts of the city.
  I guess you could say, "I'm on the outside looking in", but I see some of the tactics out there, and a lot of money spent on some new pipedream equipment for some depts and I just shake my head. Usually, the FDNY has tried it months ago, and if it didn't work, they rejected it. And they would gladly give the reasons why. They have tested and tried it. Whether its buying hose, turnout gear, or apparatus. Whether its how to vent a frame or venting a high rise, FDNY usually has the answer.
  They might even be able to put a "Man on Mars" if they worked hard enough on it.
  All kidding aside, they know their stuff and are always willing to help. And I'd say that's true from the Firefighter to the Highest Seasoned Officer.

Offline HelsinkiFire

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2010, 10:01:53 AM »
That is well put "69mets". If depts followed the FDNY questions would have been answered. I always wondered why many chiefs or depts didn't just ask the advice of the FDNY and get an answer to their problem. They test any new equipment, tactics etc. And you name it, they got it. From the highrises of Manhattan to the single family frames in parts of the city.
  I guess you could say, "I'm on the outside looking in", but I see some of the tactics out there, and a lot of money spent on some new pipedream equipment for some depts and I just shake my head. Usually, the FDNY has tried it months ago, and if it didn't work, they rejected it. And they would gladly give the reasons why. They have tested and tried it. Whether its buying hose, turnout gear, or apparatus. Whether its how to vent a frame or venting a high rise, FDNY usually has the answer.
  They might even be able to put a "Man on Mars" if they worked hard enough on it.
  All kidding aside, they know their stuff and are always willing to help. And I'd say that's true from the Firefighter to the Highest Seasoned Officer.

So your saying that "Bronto type-ladders" have been tested by the FDNY?
And they wasn't good enough?
And the old "ladder-type" ladder beat them?

anything