Author Topic: High Ladders  (Read 14385 times)

Offline mack

Re: High Ladders
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2010, 09:52:49 PM »
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 09:55:49 PM by mack »

Nycfire.net

« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2010, 09:52:49 PM »

Offline HelsinkiFire

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2010, 02:19:18 AM »
The only place I could really see a Bronto being useful over a rearmount or a tower in NYC would be Coney Island, with its various amusement parks and oddly-shaped structures.  Beyond that, the extra reach doesn't really justify the added weight, wheelbase, lost compartment space, and extra setup time, especially with the FDNY's method of aggressive interior firefighting.  A building that would require a Bronto over a rearmount would probably be a fireproof high-rise anyway, where exterior ventilation and rescue might end up being counter-productive with wind-driven fires and whatnot.

To each their own, comparing apples and oranges and all that...
Good points there. It's a fact that Bronto-type trucks don't have compartment space and they sure are heavier.
And you don't use ladders as much as we do (for example water rescue etc.) so you don't need the extra reach as you sayd.
You do it your way, we do it our way.
A member from 4,123 miles away.

Online wfd444

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2017, 06:01:12 AM »
146ft

Offline fdny747

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2017, 12:12:35 PM »
I wonder if and when FDNY will get a couple of these? There was talk about it

Offline Bulldog

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2017, 12:38:44 PM »
I wonder if and when FDNY will get a couple of these? There was talk about it
I highly doubt that you will ever see this type of vehicle operational with FDNY because of many reasons probably the biggest of which is its ability to maneuver in the streets of New York.  Does anybody know if this vehicle is regularly dispatched in San Antonio or is it only special called?  Is it always means or is it manned by a crew of another ladder company when needed?

Offline CanadianFireman

« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2017, 02:12:08 PM »
I could be wrong but that rig looks to have the SAFD livery photoshopped on. Not sure if they actually even have it.
@cdnff87