Author Topic: Harry the Bag  (Read 1895 times)

Offline johnd248

• Aux. Lieut. at E. 248 1964-73
Harry the Bag
« on: June 06, 2010, 07:47:52 AM »
Anyone out there remember Harry the Bag? He was a guy of undeterminable age who traveled from firehouse to firehouse peddling small items.  He lugged a large suitcase-like satchel and was therefore known as Harry the Bag.  He would sell batteries, toothpaste, razor blades, shaving cream, etc: all those things you forgot to buy for your locker.  Harry would come in to quarters, place his bag on the kitchen table and try to sell you anything.  He was quite the character.  I am not sure what his route was or what area he covered.  You never knew when Harry was going to show up but he would stop by every three months or so.  I know he covered most, if not all, the Brooklyn firehouses in the 60s and 70s.  Perhaps someone else can chime in on other areas where Harry the Bag went.

Nycfire.net

Harry the Bag
« on: June 06, 2010, 07:47:52 AM »

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
Re: Harry the Bag
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 08:49:42 AM »
Anyone out there remember Harry the Bag? He was a guy of undeterminable age who traveled from firehouse to firehouse peddling small items.  He lugged a large suitcase-like satchel and was therefore known as Harry the Bag.  He would sell batteries, toothpaste, razor blades, shaving cream, etc: all those things you forgot to buy for your locker.  Harry would come in to quarters, place his bag on the kitchen table and try to sell you anything.  He was quite the character.  I am not sure what his route was or what area he covered.  You never knew when Harry was going to show up but he would stop by every three months or so.  I know he covered most, if not all, the Brooklyn firehouses in the 60s and 70s.  Perhaps someone else can chime in on other areas where Harry the Bag went.

John, can't help you with Harry the Bag, but I did the same thing in the Bronx, called "Willy the Bag". Just kidding there my friend. But couldn't resist. SORRY !!!

Offline mikeindabronx

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 11:34:14 AM »

but I did the same thing in the Bronx, called "Willy the Bag
[/quote]

Bill, I thought I  recognized  that bag in the back of your car the last time we met at McD's. It's the same one you were using in the old days when I would saw you every few months going in & out of 46/27

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 12:01:40 PM »

but I did the same thing in the Bronx, called "Willy the Bag

Bill, I thought I  recognized  that bag in the back of your car the last time we met at McD's. It's the same one you were using in the old days when I would saw you every few months going in & out of 46/27
[/quote]

Yep, Mike, that's it. And everybody thought I was just down there buffing. If you think "Willy the Bag" made a few bucks, you should hear the story of "Willy the Panhandler".

John, aren't you sorry that you asked. Now, in reality, I'm looking forward to hear of "Harry the Bag". Hope somebody out there has some real info.

Offline 1261Truckie

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 01:29:36 PM »
John248,

I don't remember "Harry the Bag". Can't say he ever came by 132/280. Sounds like a character, but then again we had our own cast of clowns on St John's Place.

Jim (aka 1261truckie)

Offline 69 METS

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 05:00:20 PM »
The only 'door to door salesmen' that I remember in the Bronx were 'Frankie Buckles' who sold badges and 'Flim-Flam Floyd' who sold injury insurance ...

anything