Author Topic: Member Meeting  (Read 77952 times)

Offline rdm258

• http://www.franklintn.gov/fire/
Member Meeting
« on: July 02, 2010, 11:20:53 AM »
Come on, guys let's have a member meeting once a year for a weekend in the big city. Would be awesome to swap stories and meet you guys. Just a thought. We need to be serious though, some of us have to get plane tickets,hotels,rentals,etc.... All worth it, just do not want the meeting to fall through. Rob

Nycfire.net

Member Meeting
« on: July 02, 2010, 11:20:53 AM »

Offline vbcapt

Re: Member Meeting
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 12:25:40 PM »
I'm in !! I usually come up in Jan. but, I can be flexible. Rob: I'm currently recovering from ligament tears so , I'm out for any trips the next month or so
When you get promoted, it doesn't make your subordinates dumb

Offline rdm258

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 12:33:32 PM »
Hope very a quick recovery. No time soon, would take time to try to get the other member's involved and the logistics and planning part alone. Would have to see what works for the majority. My schedule is very flexible. Just need 30 days to take Time Off and I am there.

Offline svd385

• If you're not the lead dog the view never changes
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 08:06:03 PM »
Sounds good to me...
I'm not sure if life's trying to pass me by or run me over

Offline rdm258

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 08:22:41 AM »
Attention to all:
   I think a member meeting or whatever we would like to call it, would be a great idea. Most organizations have annual meetings/dinners/trade swap talk. We are no different and want to also thank  the Gentleman that runs this site and keep it up and running.
   First somehow we need to establish a estimated number of ppl, families are welcome, What time of year, and last but not least, when? Was thinking should plan it when the weather is the nicest. Iam sure between all the great minds on here, we can even come up with deals on hotels,etc... and more importantly just have a good time, a cold one, and just the same ppl with the same interest. I would be flying in from Nashville, i am in NY about 4 times a year. Break it up between Brooklyn and LI. I fly into Islip airport. No crowds, in and out, and the car rental is easy no line.
   If want to stay in Manhattan, Hotel Pennyslvania, i do have a small connection just do to the amount of times stayed their. Its cheap and right across from Penn Station. Plus has a Dunkin Donuts in the hotel,can't get better.
    I know you are all busy with the summer and families and but think if we are serious and do not want this to go to the way side, should start it's own post on the logistic's,number of ppl,etc...
    Happy 4th of July to ALL of you and your families. Lets all return to work with the same number of finger's we left with. LOL ----BE SAFE.

Robert DeMeo

Offline anesti

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 09:00:30 AM »
this sounds good im intrested

Offline rdm258

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 09:10:33 AM »
Would we want to aim for Oct to avoid the Holiday rush and increase in prices. Great time of year. Maybe Mid Oct. I am on the job, so my schedule is easy, have plenty of time. Was thinking we would meet in the afternoon and from their, by ear. Would be fun. All different ages, back grounds,etc.. And all have one thing in common, buffing or FDNY.
    How does October Sound, guys.  All please remember, most of us will be traveling and once your word is given, kind of need to be just that---YOUR WORD. Bring families, hey maybe they can have a wife/kids swap. I can either go solo or bring Kelly. The day that we pick--should just be the members. My phone number is 615-448-7521, can either text or call. We also need to all work together on this. Will be fun,exciting and can be a annual thing. Thanks guys
Got: Dean (vbcapt)
Myself
Anesti
Svd385
nfd2004
johnd248
Bxboro
Mercurygrand
Mike H(STA 27)
Mack
NYBravest82
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 01:12:39 PM by rdm258 »

Offline Bxboro

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 09:44:09 AM »
October sounds good

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 09:47:10 AM »
Of course, I could go. October is a real nice time of year to be in NYC. Usually great weather and not really a busy tourist time. I was supposed to meet up with "Vbcapt" last January, but messed him up because my wife got sick. If things would start to pan out, I can tell the Cheapskates, like myself, that the Econo Lodge in the Bronx is also a pretty good place to stay.
  Weekdays, not weekends would be better for me. Maybe make it for like a Sunday and Monday (or Friday/Saturday) get together. Maybe even schedule a three day get together. There's alot to see in NYC, and I could probadly talk for three days. Maybe the hotel would give enen a better price for guys staying three days.
  There's some good Italian Restraunts in the Bronx on Arthur Ave. Plus there's the usual places to eat. I would guess that Midtown Manhattan would be the easiest for most guys to get together though. I could do the Hotel Penn too. Espically if it's got a Dunks.
  Some points to consider if staying in Midtown Manhattan. Driving in is not really a good idea. Parking could be costly. Just something to think about. I also could go Solo or bring the wife. But I don't think she wants to hear my War Stories anymore.
  So whether it's the Hotel Penn, or some cheap flop house that's more my style, I hope to be an invited guest. Again, weekdays are best for me. For those interested, I'm sure a little tour thing of the FDNY could be set up too. And Bxboro, I'll see you there, but hopefully before then.
   Bill Dennis (AKA Willy "D")

Offline rdm258

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 09:54:43 AM »
Bill,
   That sounds great. Weekday would be better plus cheaper. Other then Yankees Stadium, Da Bronx is another WORLD to a Brooklynite like myself. I am game where ever the majority is and Bronx would be better for parking so can have freedom of cars so we can get around. as far as FDNY i am sure, I have family on the job sure as many of you. Engine 88 have 2 close friends and a brother in L154. I am a EMS guy, no one's to see EMS stations, there crappy.
     This is great that we are moving forward with this. Thank you to everyone. Will bring my famous photo album from my beginning in EMS, as you can imagine, some interesting photo's as I am sure we all have. This will be FUN!!!
Rob
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 09:57:54 AM by rdm258 »

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 11:44:50 AM »
Rob, I will try to call you sometime today or tomorrow. We'll talk and start to throw out a few ideas. Here's my phone number for anybody who might want to call me about this:
    Home (860) 822-9213
    Cell (860) 705-6812 (But Please, only after 9 PM and weekends. It has to do with that "Cheapskate thing")
  "Bxboro" is already in favor of it. I talked to him earlier. So that means so far:
     Yourself, Dean-O (vbcapt), Anesti, Bxboro, SVD385, and myself.
     If weekdays, how about like a Tuesday, Wednesday, and/or Thursday in Mid October. For anybody who is interested in going, would that be okay ?
     Bill Dennis, or Street Name......Willy "D"

Offline rdm258

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 12:51:43 PM »
Guys, the dates that Willy D and I discussed in October would be the 19-21st.Would be a Tues,Weds,Thurs. Would stay in the Bronx. I will have a rental so I would be able to ride 4 plus have ezpass. This will be a great opportunity for the young and old to get together and swap stories,ideas, and most of all LAUGHS. Will have to come up with a plan as to what Houses,Training Centers,Dispatch center's,etc.. Want to visit/get permission. Good eats also with some cold adult beverage's.
Rob

Offline johnd248

• Aux. Lieut. at E. 248 1964-73
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 04:46:56 PM »
October 19-21 might just work for me.  Only problem will be giving Willy D enough food so he doesn't talk all the time.  Be fun if Bronxboro goes, too.

Offline mercurygrandmarquis1

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 07:26:26 PM »
count me in. this sounds fun

Offline rdm258

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 08:09:38 PM »
Right now we have 9 CONFIRMED (O'course being in Oct--things change), I am so happy to see there is interest. I spoke to Willy D(nfd) on the phone today and he is also doing a lot of leg work behind the scenes for US. There will be plenty of time for us to go all OVER the City. Will not be limited just to a Borough, in that case the City, maybe Yonkers will have a 5th going,can always hope.lol.
   I will be purchasing my air fare the end of this month, so WE are moving along with this. I put in for my vacation time at work. I will be there, unless unfore seen problems. To the guys who are hestitant in coming along, COME. Will be great if you have a interest in FDNY,History,NYC History,or other FD related topics. If anyone is Handicaped please let me know and arrangements will be and do not wany any one to feel left out, this is for ALL. On the Job,retired,buff,curious whatever your reason/background is would love to hear about it, at a dinner, in the Bronx,sun setting or coming up, enjoying coffee,smokes,etc..
     How often to we get a chance to take a family break and go back to our childhood roots and just have fun. Anyone have a concerns or questions please call me 615-448-7521 or email me rdm258@yahoo.com RD
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 08:28:08 PM by rdm258 »