Author Topic: Site Update  (Read 6702 times)

Offline tbendick

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
    • Nycfire.net
Site Update
« on: November 08, 2010, 07:10:53 PM »
Have been working our host on some of the behind the scene problems we have been having, so would like to give you all an update. 

It seems that we get out of memory crashes during the day due to high peak loads, however the server might be using too much to start with.  We ran some updates on the software which controls the site to see if it would fix any of the problems, with no luck.  Next step we looked at the OS which runs on the server and it was in need of updating however we can't do it from our end.  So we reached out to the host for them to update the OS, they stated the OS we are using is no longer supported.  So they will give us a clean new server to use, which is good for us to start fresh.

Now the problem.  We have to take the site offline download all the current files from the last update which was done over the weekend. Once we start the site will be offline until the host creates the new server and we upload all the files to it.

Some stats to give you an idea of the amount of traffic that moves around the site and the need to keep on top of the OS the manages all this.
2000 visits a day
80,000 hits a day
600mb's of bandwith a day
85% of traffic is directly to our site not from search engines.

Nycfire.net

Site Update
« on: November 08, 2010, 07:10:53 PM »

Offline Old dog

Re: Site Update
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 08:31:24 PM »
brother what ever it takes, love the site and thanks for your effort!!!!!!

Online nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 09:25:37 PM »
Thanks Tom. If I can help out in anyway, please let me know.

Offline raybrag

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 05:42:21 PM »
It's Back!  ;) :D ;D ;D

I go into forum withdrawal whenever the site is down . . . maybe I'd better look into rehab (RAC  ??? ::) ??? )

Seriously, Tom . . . I know you've never mentioned it, and you do have some advertising . . . but if it would help to get $20 from a bunch of us to help defray the cost of running the site, I'm sure most of us would be happy to help . . . just say the word.
Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

wwf45

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 07:39:27 PM »
I am unable to access the site by the site address.
I had to get onto these boards a back way!!
Is this still part of the update process??
Thanks!

Offline tbendick

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
    • Nycfire.net
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 08:53:39 PM »
Everything should be back up and running.  Please post any problems here, so I can fix them. I had upload the site in the AM however there was a little file setting that ended up getting changed that I had to figure out.

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 01:43:38 PM »
Fatal error: Cannot access empty property in /var/www/vhosts/drupal-6.16/includes/bootstrap.inc on line 729
...the above message is what comes up when i enter nycfire.net as well as Nycfire.net.........both used to put me on the site....or first to the page where nycfire.net listed a recent manhattan fire from 2010...i would click that & site would open....after the recent site update the above message comes up i only got in after a day of scrolling around ....on page 3or 4 of the screen i found a nycfire.net relating to a fire in 2009....after clicking on this i got back in......i am not too computer literate.....any help (simplified would be appreciated).

Offline kfd274

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 03:00:32 PM »
Everything seems much slower right now

Online mikeindabronx

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 03:17:53 PM »
Everything is much slower and it takes quite a while to get on the site.

Offline mac8146

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 04:36:53 PM »
It takes a long time for site to load. Seems like everything is in super slo-mode downloading or opening up.

Offline kidfrmqns

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 04:55:40 PM »
Oh good, I thought it was my computer moving slow.

Offline lifeguard91

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 06:36:27 PM »
i use my phone to access the site and yes it is running much slower. Another  problem I am having is when I click on the bookmark I have saved, a white page comes up and only a few links come up.

Offline lifeguard91

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 06:42:04 PM »
scratch that... the only issue right now is that loading is a little sluggish but nothing that can't be delt with =)

Offline 69 METS

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 06:20:05 PM »
Hey Tom ... It's good to see the site back up and running, It was missed! BTW, I heard from your dad a couple of days ago, it made my night. He's a terrific guy, I enjoyed working with him and will keep in touch.

Online nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 06:37:11 PM »
Tom, the site seems to be working for me fine now. Thanks for all you've done. You've given us all an early Christmas Present.