Author Topic: IN MEMORY J.CLANCY.  (Read 3249 times)

Offline 68jk09

IN MEMORY J.CLANCY.
« on: December 31, 2010, 05:22:59 PM »

This morning 12-31-10 at 0650 Hrs....marks the fifteenth anniversary of the LODD of LT.John Clancy (FF ENG*217..FF LAD*103..LT. LAD*127) at a Fire on 97 Ave bet 149 & 150 St. in South Jamaica........REST IN PEACE JOHN.......NEVER FORGET !

Nycfire.net

IN MEMORY J.CLANCY.
« on: December 31, 2010, 05:22:59 PM »

Offline mikeindabronx

Re: IN MEMORY J.CLANCY.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 05:48:37 PM »
REST IN PEACE

Offline 69 METS

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 05:49:53 PM »
Thank you for continuing to keep the memory of F.D.N.Y.'s fallen alive, Chief. May we NEVER FORGET OUR BROTHERS who have died protecting others ...

Offline Capnkeys

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 09:08:52 PM »
Thank you for continuing to keep the memory of F.D.N.Y.'s fallen alive, Chief. May we NEVER FORGET OUR BROTHERS who have died protecting others ...

Amen.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 09:57:13 PM »
God bless you, Lt Clancy.

Lt Clancy and E298 on hydrant inspection:

http://www.ltjohnclancyscholarships.org/

Offline nfd2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 11:01:22 PM »
Lt Clancy although you've been gone for 15 years now, your Brothers have not forgotten you. It is hoped that someday you will meet again with all your Brothers and this time your friendship will last forever. Lt Clancy, may you Rest in Peace.

Offline Bob Dobalina

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 12:45:44 PM »
Rest in Peace Boss!    Never forgotten!

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 01:41:59 PM »
From the Bravest:

BRAVEST SACRIFICE ARSON TRIAL REMINDER
OF DEATHS OF 3 FIREFIGHTERS
NY Daily News 3/8/98

All three were larger than life, boisterously cheerful, physically powerful and among the best the Fire Department had to offer. All three died horribly. And all died in fires allegedly started by arsonists.

Firefighter Peter McLaughlin, at 31 the "kid" of elite Rescue 4 and engaged to be married, was consumed by a fireball that burst out of a ceiling.

The search for answers in his death will resume tomorrow, when the murder and arson trial begins for Moses Blandon, the man accused of starting the fire that killed McLaughlin.

Blandon, upset that his wife had left him, allegedly dropped a match on a mattress in his apartment and just walked away.

Firefighter Louis Valentino Jr., a magna cum laude graduate of St. Francis College whose only ambition was to be a firefighter, was crushed beneath a steel beam when an illegally constructed building collapsed.

Lt. John Clancy, happily awaiting the birth of his first child, plunged through a hole in the floor of a crackhouse and fell into the mouth of a roaring fire.

They were among 11 firefighters who died from March 1994 to February 1996, carnage that ranked among the worst in the department's history.

In a desperate search for what went wrong, the Fire Department and the state Labor Department investigated each death, looking for lessons to be learned.

Some of the deaths, the probes concluded, were caused by judgment errors driven by bravery or bravado.

But in the cases of McLaughlin, Valentino and Clancy, no amount of training, discipline or procedures could have saved them from the sudden deaths that awaited them.

A state inspector reviewing what went wrong in Valentino's death concluded sadly, "Tactically, this fire went perfectly by the book."

Here is a rare look behind the fires that killed them.

Questions Remain

The biggest mystery among the 11 deaths was McLaughlin's. He was nicknamed "Sniper" and had a tattoo on his shoulder reading just "Irish."

What exactly happened Oct. 5, 1995, may never be known, partly because the smoke was so thick that firefighters lost sight of each other. As they pulled up to a Queens building, flames could be seen shooting from three windows.

Firefighter Eugene Mahlstadt was sent to the top floor of the four-story building to pull down ceilings. McLaughlin and others were sent to the fourth floor to search apartments for possible victims.

Firefighter Dan Heglund recalled being hit with a wall of smoke as he reached the top floor landing, prompting him to drop to his knees and put on his air mask.

Mahlstadt had been ordered by Lt. Kenny Memmen to punch holes in the ceiling of Apartment 4D.

"At first, I was crouched down, then I stood up to pull the ceiling," he said. "Standing up, I didn't feel any heat. I poked a couple of holes in the ceiling, basketball size . . . I couldn't see anything.

"I thought I heard a bang like the door was closing. I saw a glow to my right at the ceiling. I said, 'Hey, Lieu, is that you?' and I held my breath to listen for a response. I got none. I knew something wasn't right.

"The next thing I know, the fire was everywhere. It was to the floor, everywhere. I thought about a 'Mayday,' but I didn't even have time. I didn't even have time to drop to the ground. I saw a window and I ran to it. I punched it with my fist, and it broke. I swan-dove halfway out the window. I ripped my face piece off. The air felt good. I was calling out. I remember hearing people screaming to me to stay there."

On the ground, commanders saw Mahlstadt in distress. "Mayday!" was shouted into radios, and an aerial ladder was swung over to Mahlstadt.

Heglund heard the Mayday and began calling for McLaughlin over his radio. There was no answer.

Mahlstadt was put onto the aerial ladder, lowered to the ground and put on a gurney.

"Before I was wheeled away, Danny [Heglund] said to me, 'Where were you? Who were you with? Did you see Sniper?' I said, 'I don't know where Sniper is,' " Mahlstadt recalled.

Heglund raced back up to the fourth floor to look for his friend.

McLaughlin's body was found minutes later, sprawled across a bedroom doorway. He was so badly burned by the fireball that burst from the ceiling that much of his protective clothing was destroyed and his boots had melted.

A Fatal Collapse

Valentino, 37, was a member of the elite Rescue 2 squad that was sent to a fire at a chop shop in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, on Feb. 5, 1996.

The chaos began after the routine blaze was extinguished and Valentino entered the chop shop.

"I heard the rumbling not once, but twice," said Lt. Peter Lund. "I dived toward the wall as if it was a place of refuge. I think that Chief O'Rourke gave a Mayday: 'Collapse! Get everyone out!' I started to retrace my steps to go out, but I saw a helmet and blood. I found Chief [Frederick] Gallagher leaning against a car and covered with blood."

Firefighter William Rohr wrote, "I heard a sound as if metal was twisting, I crouched down because I thought something was going to fall on me. Then the roof fell in on me and others . . . I felt two firefighters pull me out from the debris."

Two roll calls were conducted via the radio, and soon another Mayday came from inside the building.

"I made my way over to where [Firefighter Terry] Coyle was. All I saw were boots sticking out [from beneath a steel beam]. . . . Coyle knew it was someone from Rescue 2 because he saw the blue tape on the flashlight," Lund wrote.

Firefighter William Eisengrein, who was outside when the roof collapsed, carried an air-bag device to free the trapped firefighter.

"I heard a lot of people whispering, 'I think it's a guy from Rescue,' " Eisengrein said.

Whenever Coyle was asked whether Valentino was alive, Coyle avoided the worst, saying simply, "No movement."

Firefighters crowded in, frantically trying to lift the beam off Valentino.

"At this point, there was lots of confusion. Lt. Lund hollered for everyone to 'shut up,' he was in charge," Eisengrein wrote.

"As soon as he [Valentino] was out, CPR was started," Firefighter Tom Donnolly wrote. "He was placed on a backboard. Compressions to the chest. No response."

Crackhouse Chaos

Clancy, 35, died on New Year's Eve 1995, when he plunged through a hole in the stairwell of a Jamaica, Queens, crackhouse and fell facedown into the mouth of a roaring fire.

One of the biggest questions about Clancy's death was why he and others went into a building known to be abandoned and marked as dangerous by firefighters who had painted a large X on its side.

Clancy's colleagues told State Inspector John Regan that "the presence of persons standing around without coats" on a wintry night suggested someone might still have been inside.

Clancy and Capt. John Kleehaas led a forcible-entry team of six firefighters into the burning tenement.

"Lt. Clancy suddenly plunged through the floor of the building just inside the side entrance. As he fell, he apparently struck his forehead on the concrete rim surrounding the hole he fell through. He landed on the basement floor, where he was immediately engulfed by flames and smoke."

"Looking through the hole, [Firefighter James] Faller could see only Lt. Clancy's legs. He said Clancy was facedown and not moving."

Clancy's team screamed "Mayday" into their radios, shoved a ladder through the hole and attempted to go after him, but flames and hot smoke forced them back.

A second team trained a hose through the hole onto the flames and then worked the hose down the ladder. As soon as possible, Kleehaas scrambled down the ladder.

Lt. Terence Hatton entered through the cellar and found Kleehaas struggling with Clancy's body because the lieutenant's legs had become entangled in the ladder. It took several firefighters to get Clancy clear, and then carry him through the cellar to the stairs and into a backyard to a waiting ambulance.

The autopsy showed that Clancy was burned over 85% of his body.

Offline 68jk09

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 01:05:16 AM »
12-31-95 23 YEARS AGO....NEVER FORGET.....23 Years ago at 0650 hrs on 12-31-95 Lt. John Clancy LAD*127 (FF ENG*217 & LAD*103).... was killed when he plunged through a
Fire weakened 1st fl side hallway terrazzo floor into a raging cellar fire at 149-07 97 Av bet 149 & 150 Sts in a South Jamaica Queens Crackhouse............REST IN PEACE JOHN......CONTINUED PRAYERS FOR YOUR FAMILIES.....GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN !

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 01:29:08 AM »
12-31-95 23 YEARS AGO....NEVER FORGET.....23 Years ago at 0650 hrs on 12-31-95 Lt. John Clancy LAD*127 (FF ENG*217 & LAD*103).... was killed when he plunged through a
Fire weakened 1st fl side hallway terrazzo floor into a raging cellar fire at 149-07 97 Av bet 149 & 150 Sts in a South Jamaica Queens Crackhouse............REST IN PEACE JOHN......CONTINUED PRAYERS FOR YOUR FAMILIES.....GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN !

RIP.

Offline 1261Truckie

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 01:39:38 AM »
Rest in Peace, Lt. Clancy

Offline CFDMarshal

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 10:44:34 PM »
RIP, Lt, Never Forget!

anything