Author Topic: Software Update  (Read 7489 times)

Offline tbendick

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
    • Nycfire.net
Software Update
« on: January 20, 2011, 12:09:37 PM »
Just installed a Software update on the forums to address some spam problems that were occuring.  I will have to rebuild the look of the forums and update some things over the next few days to get us back to the look and feel of the site.

Nycfire.net

Software Update
« on: January 20, 2011, 12:09:37 PM »

Offline guitarman314

• Photobucket
Re: Software Update
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 12:18:03 PM »
O.K., I thought the site was hijacked ;D ;)

Offline Bulldog

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 10:13:20 PM »
I actually like this look for the forums!  They seem a little more modern and inviting.

Offline stretch

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 12:34:02 AM »
Don't change a thing! The new look is a good look. The page jumps right out at you and it is easy to see!!!

Offline lifeguard91

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 01:29:21 AM »
the mobile version is kinda... well it'll take getting use to

Online raybrag

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 07:34:04 AM »
I disagree with Bulldog & Stretch.  I find it very difficult to see where there's a new posting.  I really miss the old red maltese crosses.  Maybe its just my geezer eyes.
Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

Offline rdm258

• http://www.franklintn.gov/fire/
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 02:08:28 PM »
Tom,
   First, thank you for taking the time out of your schedule, to update and maintain this GREAT site. I do think the old way was easier to navigate and MUCH easier to notice new/updated post. Which ever way you decide to go, we all will adapt. Again thank you for this site and look forward to see what 2011 has in stock for this site.
Rob

Online raybrag

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 02:36:19 PM »
I agree with Rob's sentiments, Tom.  I really appreciate what you do for all of us.  One feature i really like with this update is the navigation options (i.e. "Nycfire.net * Nycfire.net*Site News and Info" at the bottom of the page in addition to the top.  Makes life easier.
Ray Braguglia
Newport News VA

Offline lifeguard91

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 10:11:44 PM »
I shoul rephrase my last post. I am having trouble with the mobile site.  For example, When I click on Queens, it shows the unread posts. When I click on Queens again (all the new posts have been read) it shows "No unread topics found since your last visit" I still havent found out how to get to the read topics if I want to see them.  I do thank you for all the time taken to maintain the site and didn't mean to come off rude  :-\ On another note, I  think the new site looks smooth but I do agree with rob and Raybrag about the being able to see if there is a new posting.

Offline grumpy grizzly

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 03:50:08 PM »
OK guys I am not a computer genius. The new set-up confused me but I respect the efforts of those who maintain/update this site. A short cut for those who are computer challanged, like me, go to Forums, schrool down to the bottom and click onto recent posts. ;D ;D ;D
FAC 20 TASS 68-69 SVN. Hue/PhuBai , Boston Spark from 71-79, Chicago 79-15, Bloomington/Normal 2015- present

Offline bklyndisp54

• FDNY Dispatcher 1970-1980: S.I. & Brooklyn
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 07:55:14 PM »
I'm with Ray
   I like the old way
Lots'a changes ain't smart
   (But I'm just an old f*rt)

Offline guitarman314

• Photobucket
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 11:00:58 AM »
Having trouble posting photos, what is the process now? ???

Offline tbendick

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
    • Nycfire.net
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 09:13:24 AM »
Working on the issues. Please post them so that I can work on fixing/updateing them as I work on the site.
Normaly I try to fix all the bugs first and then roll out the new stuff. However the spam was getting out of control hitting the site and needed to get the software updated.

Offline tbendick

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
    • Nycfire.net
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 12:09:54 PM »
Just Some notes.

Spell Check should be working.

Posting images can be done by clicking attachments and then uploading the file. It will give you the code to use, which will need to be pasted into your post.

Show unread posts since last visit. Is at the top of the page near your name, if it's not showing click on the little arrow all the way to the right top corner. Will see if we can get it some place better.

Mobile site issue with not showing posts which were read already, seems to be by design.  Will have to see if we can do some modification to it.  There is an option to allow you to disable the mobile version, how ever the 3rd party server needed to make it work has been offline for some time.

Offline lifeguard91

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 09:57:58 PM »
Another issue with the mobile site is that I can not create a new topic