Author Topic: Ambulance Coverage  (Read 5988 times)

Offline Jeff2mars

Re: Ambulance Coverage
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 11:32:40 PM »
hi
i'm a french ems and i've got some questions.
i'd like to know how is the dispatch working in NYC.
-  i know ambulances have waiting areas, but are they all located by GPS ?
- do dispatchers send the nearest ambulance thanks to a GPS ?
- what kind of messages are transmited by radio (whereas others by status/computer) ?
- do ambulances receive calls by radio or on computer ?
- can ALS ambulances respond to a call on their own or are they always with a BLS ?
- do CFR engines always respond in first to a call in their areas if available ? or just to some kind of calls ?
- what is the medical equipment of an engine ? (defibrilator? tourniquet ? tensiometer ?,...)
- where can i find a list of ALS and BLS equipment ?

thank you very much if you can answer me !!

« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 09:13:27 AM by Jeff2mars »

Nycfire.net

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 11:32:40 PM »

Offline memory master

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 10:58:21 AM »
Lets see if I can help you Jeff. I have been retired for almost 3 years so some things may have changed a bit;

1.      The Operations section at Headquarters set up the locations that the ambulances sit. They are known as "C.S.L.'s" which translates to Cross Street locations. When an ambulance is within a three block radius of their CSL the crew transmits, via MDT, a 10-89 signal. When the ambulance moves the longitude and latitudes change so the dispatcher knows just about where they are.

2.       Yes the dispatcher will send the nearest ambulance to the call. The ambulance covering that particular area may be on assignment already, so the next closest available unit is sent. Now say the ambulance on a call already is ALS and and the new call requires ALS response, the closest available ALS will be sent along with the closest BLS due to the fact that there are more BLS than ALS and their response time may be greater.

3.       Usually the dispatcher will call the unit(s) and give them the job verbally and then send the job via the MDT. If it is busy the dispatcher may just say XXX you have a job coming over and just send by MDT.

4.       There are some calls that ALS is the only one assigned. Should they need assistance they will request a BLS. Some calls, such as cardiac arrest, trauma, mva's with a reported pin, etc. will receive ALS, BLS, Conditions Car (Lt. or Capt.) and a CFR engine company. MVA's with pins will get a first alarm assignment from FD including a Rescue Co. and Squad Co. as well as a Battalion Chief.

5.       Enine Co's carry a defib, oxygen, trauma bag and long board.

6.       You may possibly find the New York State basic list of equipment carried by ambulances at the NYS DOH web site. Please be advised that FDNY EMS carries additonal stock that supercedes the basic required by NYS.

Hope this helps.

Offline Jeff2mars

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 06:34:54 PM »
thank you this is helpful !!

anything