Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
News and Events / Re: 2017 Events and Parades
« Last post by truck4 on Today at 03:55:44 PM »
Don't think I'll make it up, Willy D. Thinking of taking the little guy to the Croton parade that day. Likely heading out to the Long Island Antique event that Sunday. Well worth the trip.
Brooklyn / 5/25/2017 Brooklyn All Hands Box 2678
« Last post by firephish on Today at 03:54:20 PM »
Address: 203 60 Street - between 2nd and 3rd Avenue

Fire in a 1 story 60x100 commercial auto shop.

1551 - TL-114 - 10-75 the box. Fire in a mechanics shop.

TL-149 FAST - E-228 4th Engine

1556 - Bn. 40 - All Hands - Fire in an auto body shop. 1 L/S/O, water on the fire, fire is darkening down, trucks opening up.

Maybe:
E-241, 201, 247, 228
L-109, 114, 149F
B-40, 48
S-1
R-5
D-8
RAC-5
National / Lavallette (Ocean), NJ- Multi-Alarm Fire 05-25-17
« Last post by truck4 on Today at 03:49:45 PM »
Date: 05-25-17
Time: 0122hrs
Location: 1806 Grand Central Ave (Route 35 North) X New Jersey Ave
Description: Fire throughout a 2-story condo OMD
Units: Lavallette (Sta. 69), Seaside Heights (Sta. 44), Seaside Park (Sta. 45), Ocean Beach Co./Toms River (Sta. 27), Island Heights (Sta. 53) Point Pleasant/ Ocean Co. (Sta. 42) and Point Pleasant Beach (Sta. 43) 

http://jshn.org/lavallette-major-fire-overnight/
History / Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses
« Last post by mack on Today at 03:07:31 PM »
Lt. John McDonald, Engine 235, January 17, 1943 - rescue - Brooklyn Citizens Medal

LT William J. McGraw, Engine 235 - January 13, 1952 - rescue - Brooklyn Citizens Medal

FF Dennis W. Williams, Engine 235 - off duty rescue March 3, 1985  - Chief Williams Medal

BC Raymond M. Brown, Battalion 57, August 29, 1982 - Captain Denis W. Lane Memorial Medal

I had to meet My Aunt at Atlantic & Nostrand Aves. I was early so I walked to 235 and met a young buff,we exchanged Hellos etc, He told me he was waiting for his Uncle. His Uncle shows up and I couldn't believe my eyes it was Vin Scully the announcer for the Brooklyn Dodgers. he lived over by St. Peter Clavers Church and school. He told me to meet there next Saturday and he would take us to the Dodger Game and have Happy Felton give us a glove & bat,true to his word that's what happened, never saw the Nephew nor Vin after that as I think they went to LA.

Great memory.

Happy Felton's Knothole Gang: 

Was a Brooklyn Dodger-produced pre-game show before every home game telecast on free television channel 9 (and all Diodger home games were televised in that era for free on channel 9)...it was sponsored by the Mutual Savings Bank of Brooklyn (as opposed to the commercial banks) and worked like this:

3 baseball players of the same age playing the same position from 3 different sandlot baseball programs in Brooklyn...for example you could have 3 9 year old pitchers from little leagues in Brooklyn...they were interviewed for a few minutes by Happy Felton, given a Brooklyn Dodger
cap and a yearbook and then one of the Dodgers worked them out...for example in the above example if there were 3 9 year old pitchers, Campy would work them out...if it were 3 catchers, one of the pitchers would work them out...and at the end select the player he thought was best in the workout. The winner was then given the opportunity to choose one of the Dodgers to meet with next game and then spend time in the Dodger dugout with the players. The show ended with the winning player from the previous game interviewing his favorite Dodger and disappearing with him into the Dodger dugout."

A post-game show on Channel 9 after Brooklyn home games was also hosted by Happy Felton and called "Talk to the Stars." A member of each team sat with him and answer calls phoned in by witnesses (the callers were pre screened...I know that...I sent in my mom's name one time and they called her before the game and told her she would be one of the callers after the game...I told her what to ask. We got a carton of cigarettes (unfortunately mom was a big smoker plus 2 general admissin tickets to an upcoming Dodger game!

On weekends on channel 9, following Talk to the Stars, there was a post post game show hosted by a fellow named Harry Wismer, later to be of New York Titan (actually Titans of New York) fame and sponsored by General Tire which just so happened to own channel 9.

Brooklyn Dodger Memories: http://www.brooklyndodgermemories.com/
Queens / Re: 5/25/17 Queens All Hands Box 5176
« Last post by JOR176 on Today at 02:28:34 PM »
If available and in Qtrs

286-Sq252-233      135-176
« Last post by JOR176 on Today at 02:18:36 PM »
Lt. John McDonald, Engine 235, January 17, 1943 - rescue - Brooklyn Citizens Medal

LT William J. McGraw, Engine 235 - January 13, 1952 - rescue - Brooklyn Citizens Medal

FF Dennis W. Williams, Engine 235 - off duty rescue March 3, 1985  - Chief Williams Medal

BC Raymond M. Brown, Battalion 57, August 29, 1982 - Captain Denis W. Lane Memorial Medal

I had to meet My Aunt at Atlantic & Nostrand Aves. I was early so I walked to 235 and met a young buff,we exchanged Hellos etc, He told me he was waiting for his Uncle. His Uncle shows up and I couldn't believe my eyes it was Vin Scully the announcer for the Brooklyn Dodgers. he lived over by St. Peter Clavers Church and school. He told me to meet there next Saturday and he would take us to the Dodger Game and have Happy Felton give us a glove & bat,true to his word that's what happened, never saw the Nephew nor Vin after that as I think they went to LA.
Queens / 5/25/17 Queens All Hands Box 5176
« Last post by Signal73 on Today at 02:13:16 PM »
Fire Location: 78-31 64 Lane

All Hands Under Control

Fire in the Attic of a PD

No special units

Maybe:
E-286,Sq252,233
L-135,176
B-28
History / Re: Join the FDNY Auxiliary
« Last post by mack on Today at 01:40:17 PM »
1960 FDNY Recruiting poster:

General Discussion / Re: 17 INCHES....WISE WORDS.
« Last post by tem217 on Today at 12:45:27 PM »
nice post jack..thank you
« Last post by mack on Today at 12:04:09 PM »
Engine 70  City Island  original quarters:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10