Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
History / Re: FATHERS DAY.
« Last post by nfd2004 on Today at 07:27:53 PM »
 A tragic day for the FDNY and the family members. I remember it as many friends and family members outside of the FDNY seemed to share this loss as well, especially being Fathers Day.

May they Rest in Peace. 
History / Re: My younger Buff years
« Last post by nfd2004 on Today at 06:53:03 PM »
 Several FDNY Auxiliary Firefighters (as well as members of the Fire Patrol) went on to become career firefighters throughout various cities.

As I remember with the budget crisis looming over New York City and word of closing dozens of fire companies throughout the city, it was decided that the FDNY Auxiliary Firefighter program be abandoned. But what those Auxiliary Firefighters had learned during those very busy years would certainly pay off for a few.

Three of the individuals that I know became firefighters in Bridgeport, Ct, as that city, like some many others, particularly in the northeast, began to see their own very busy War Years as neighborhoods burned out. 

One had been an Auxiliary in Queens, another in Harlem, and another in the South Bronx. All very busy companies seeing their share of heavy fire duty. For these guys they were very well prepared for what was to come and they could often even predict the next areas of the city to burn. They all knew their stuff. All have since retired, including one who retired as B/C.

All would readily admit that it was those busy FDNY years where they got to learn so much.

Of course I know "johnd248" personally as we both served as volunteer firefighters years ago together. I recently met up with John and I got to tell you, no matter what he says, "I still think he could throw on some gear and an air pack, then drag a couple of lengths up to those upper floor jobs". 

Thank you Charlie, aka "1261Truckie", as well. I appreciate hearing your story. I guess there's a big part of all of us that as young guys interested in the FDNY, we all grew up during the right time. We got to see for ourselves the Greatest Fire Dept in the World, during their Busiest years, do what they do best.

I guess being old does have some advantages besides our Senior Citizens Discount at Dunken Donuts. We are NOT alone in how we feel either.
History / Re: Boston Vendome Hotel Fire - 9 LODDs - June 17, 1972
« Last post by nfd2004 on Today at 06:18:39 PM »
 Thank you "mack" for reminding us of this very tragic day for the Boston Fire Dept.

The fire in this large building had been extinguished and under control. Then suddenly "WITHOUT WARNING" the entire building came down taking the lives of these NINE Boston Firefighters.
Staten Island / Re: 6/16/18 Staten Island 5th Alarm Box 2790
« Last post by FDNYSTATENISLAND on Today at 06:11:30 PM »
165/85 on the intial ticket for both.
Staten Island / Re: 6/16/18 State Island 5th Alarm Box 2790
« Last post by mack on Today at 05:55:16 PM »
When was the last 5th alarm on Staten Island that was not a brush fire?
May 2017 5th alarm. New Dorp.  Apartment complex.
« Last post by 68jk09 on Today at 05:36:44 PM »
Also, in't a watch line used to protect FDNY jurisdiction for an investigation and to provide site integrity and protect evidence as well?
Yes.

( UNION TOWNSHIP - 1 ALARM FIRE )  -  UNION TOWNSHIP FIRE DEPARTMENT, WITH MUTUAL AID FROM THE ELIZABETH FIRE DEPARTMENT, OPERATING AT A QUICKLY KNOCKED DOWN 2ND ALARM HOUSE FIRE IN UNION TOWNSHIP, NEW JERSEY.
General Discussion / Patrick Brown Ladder 26
« Last post by E82T31B27 on Today at 04:50:39 PM »
Does anybody have a picture of Patrick Brown when he was a probationary firefighter for Ladder 26?
History / Re: My younger Buff years
« Last post by johnd248 on Today at 04:22:44 PM »
Amen to that Jim.  I received my training at E 280 also but in early 1964.  Rode with E 248 and B 41 until 1973.  Fantastic memories which I frequently pass on to younger firefighters.  My first gear was Civil Defense stuff: awful yellow plastic helmet, yellow coat, and yellow boots.  I eventually bought a FDNY turnout coat when the quartermaster was on the second floor of Pier A.  Obtained a leather helmet when one of the chiefs in B 41 left it behind when he retired.  I painted it yellow and later black when I was a volunteer in Fairfield, CT.  Still have it.  I still respond to calls 54 years later but let the kids do the interior work.
« Last post by grumpy grizzly on Today at 03:48:51 PM »
Also, in't a watch line used to protect FDNY jurisdiction for an investigation and to provide site integrity and protect evidence as well?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10