Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
History / Re: A LOOK BACK.
« Last post by 68jk09 on Today at 10:06:13 PM »
History / Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section
« Last post by mack on Today at 09:35:01 PM »
1948 FDNY Unit Location Chart


     Ladder 48 was an "Improvised Water Tower" hook and ladder company.

     Engine 94 and Ladder 48 were in Division 7, Battalion 17, Bronx

     Battalion 3 was in the 1st Division, Manhattan

1949 FDNY Division and Battalion boundaries:

History / Re: FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section
« Last post by mack on Today at 09:06:09 PM »


          Battalion Chief Gunther E. Beake of the 3rd Battalion died on August 23, 1949 after being overcome by smoke and chemical fumes. He was operating at a second alarm in the Manhattan-bound Holland Tunnel on May 13, 1949.

Holland Tunnel Fire - May 13, 1949 - Manhattan Box 2-2-308:

     At 8:30 a.m. a truck carrying eighty 55-gallon drums of carbon disulfide entered the southern tube at the New Jersey portal. The tunnel had two tubes, the southern one for eastbound traffic and the western one for westbound traffic. At the time, it was forbidden to carry carbon disulfide through either tubes. After the truck had traveled east for approximately 2900 feet (880 m) in heavy traffic, one of the drums broke free of its restraints, fell onto the roadway and cracked open. Vapor released from the drum was ignited when it came into contact with a hot surface, probably a brake or exhaust.[3]:6 Carbon disulfide vapor ignites when raised to a temperature of 194 F / 90 C, so it was considered highly flammable; moreover, it could be deadly if inhaled in large amounts.

     The truck came to rest in the left lane of the tunnel on a 0.25% downgrade and began to burn. Four trucks stopped on the right lane and also caught fire or were abandoned, and five more trucks caught fire slightly to the back of the carbon disulfide-carrying truck. The tunnel west of the fire became gridlocked with traffic; ultimately, 125 vehicles got stuck in the tube before it was closed.

Emergency response

     Port Authority of New York and New Jersey patrolmen in the tube east and west of the truck radioed in to advise of the blockage (8:48 a.m.) then to advise of the fire (8:56 a.m.). They assisted drivers to escape to the north tube through cross-passages. Tunnel staff entered the New Jersey portal to evacuate the occupants there and started to reverse vehicles out, while a works brigade crew drove the wrong way along the south tube and began fighting the fire at the site of the truck where it started. At the time of the fire, the Holland Tunnel was operated by the Port Authority, which had control of various other transportation facilities in the area as well. Consequently, they had a works fire brigade at the eastern end of the south tube. They initiated firefighting operations at the site of the fire with a 1.5-inch (3.8 cm) hose about five minutes after it started. However, they soon realized that they needed extra assistance due to the confined nature of the fire.

     The Jersey City Fire Department (JCFD) was alerted at 9:05 a.m., and the New York City Fire Department (FDNY) was alerted at 9:12 a.m. The FDNY crew set up a command post in the north tunnel at a cross passage near to the fire. They relieved the works brigade and sent a "make pumps 9" alarm at 9:30 a.m. When the JCFD crews arrived at the tunnel portal, they also sent requests for more firefighters and for oxygen breathing equipment.  The crews also worked on placing illumination inside the tunnel.[4] The FDNY and JCFD called up 29 firefighting trucks of varying types and borrowed four more trucks with breathing apparatus from Consolidated Edison. In total there were about 63 emergency response vehicles (including police, medical units, Port Authority vehicles and brigade supervisory vehicles).

     Hot smoke caused a second fire to start, in a group of trucks apparently carrying paint and turpentine approximately 350 feet (110 m) west of the original fire. After this, the tunnel ventilation system was turned to full extract and full supply in order to extract smoke and reduce the likelihood of other spontaneous ignitions. New Jersey firemen succeeded in extinguishing the second fire, and cleared a path for brigade vehicles to the first fire site where they linked up with the New York firemen.

     The tunnel fire main, a 6-inch (150 mm) water pipe cast directly into the secondary concrete lining, continued to function throughout the fire.[2]:107[3]:7 The FDNY supplemented this with water from a 2.5-inch (6.4 cm) hose. The fire was the first time in the FDNY's history that it had been required to use four rescue squad vehicles at the same fire.

"Holland Tunnel Fire" WNYF July 1949






General Discussion / Re: GO FUND ME FOR FF CORCORAN.
« Last post by JOR176 on Today at 08:17:19 PM »
« Last post by Fireinfo101 on Today at 08:14:13 PM »
Did the FDNY have any CD units? If so what type of vehicles and units did they have? Who manned them?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10