11/11/2011 Bronx Box 3722 MVA with Pin

Major Deegan Expy & W 230 St

Around 03:45
L46 ON SCENE MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENT: CONFIRMED PIN, EXTRICATION IN PROGRESS, ADDL UNITS ENROUTE

efd274 said:
Major Deegan Expy & W 230 St

Around 03:45
L46 ON SCENE MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENT: CONFIRMED PIN, EXTRICATION IN PROGRESS, ADDL UNITS ENROUTE

EMS BOX 3722
EMS Batt. reported it was South of 233rd St. on the South bound side & confirmed 1 male pinned.
BN-19,confirmed pin using E-43,L-59
BN-19,ESU has victim removed you can release Rescue

so ESU hot the victim out or did L59 OR L46?  anyone know?    i give ESU all the creit in the world but these pin jobs should be left to the fdny. plenty of times you hear esu flying by then you get a car for a mva 2 minutes later and there is esu allready there trying to rip a door off and get that dashboard up.

truck4

Administrator
What difference does it make who cuts the people out? As long as they get the help they need from all agencies, it's a job well done.

truck4 said:
What difference does it make who cuts the people out? As long as they get the help they need from all agencies, it's a job well done.

It makes a difference when the FD has closer resources but are delayed due to circumstances out of our control. Its not a job well done pulling up to a pin job 2 blocks from quarters and having ESU taking up and 2 tow trucks already operating.

bxengine said:
truck4 said:

It makes a difference when the FD has closer resources but are delayed due to circumstances out of our control. Its not a job well done pulling up to a pin job 2 blocks from quarters and having ESU taking up and 2 tow trucks already operating.

BxEng, this is not to start a pissing match or an argument over who has the bigger toys, but if it were my family or myself that needed to be cut out I wouldn't send one agency away and say I want the other. Yes, in this instance FD resources were closer but how do you or I know if ESU was closer than that. On the other hand sometimes FD gets the run first, other times PD gets it first and EMS doesn't get it at all. There will unfortunately be other "pin jobs" to keep everybody busy.

memory master said:
bxengine said:
truck4 said:

BxEng, this is not to start a pissing match or an argument over who has the bigger toys, but if it were my family or myself that needed to be cut out I wouldn't send one agency away and say I want the other. Yes, in this instance FD resources were closer but how do you or I know if ESU was closer than that. On the other hand sometimes FD gets the run first, other times PD gets it first and EMS doesn't get it at all. There will unfortunately be other "pin jobs" to keep everybody busy.

You are 100% wrong .FD never gets the run first, especially vehicle accidents.
It does not matter who arrives first but it is criminal when FD units could have arrived minutes before PD yet the notification to FD is delayed to give PD a jump.

Would you want your family pinned in a car for an extra 5 minutes because of a delayed notification to FD?

Neither would I.

memory master said:
bxengine said:
truck4 said:

You missed my point. If its my family, i want the closest resource, PERIOD. delayed calls to fd is bs.

T

Ten-seventy-seven

While the law enforcement is doing the job of the fire department, some innocent female is being raped or someones son is being knifed, or a convenience store is being robbed.

Leave the job of heavy rescue to the fire and rescue department and let law enforcement deal with sticking criminals behind bars.

END OF.

that just shows you what people think of the difference in the 2 jobs.  we will be all "NYPSD". The new york public safety dept soon enough. pin jobs on any nyc road should be left to the FDNY period.  ESU has 2 guys on their rigs we have 6 members on the ladder and 5 on the engine to help with ems, cribbing, tool placement and road safety.

I just want to inject a little something here, and I have said this on other boards. Believe whatever you want, but trust me on this. PD does NOT hold things up from FD. If they do, the 911 operator, or radio dispatcher gets hung. I have had a few incidents where I have called PD, asking for a WTF, and they have said the radio dispatcher failed to notify FD, and will be disciplined. I have also gotten into arguments with them when they tell me certain situations do not require the response of FD. My response to them is usually, Like Hell it isn't.

It all depends on how it is coded in the 911 system. If a particular code is put in by 911, there is no response from the FDNY. This includes auto accidents. This is why you're sitting in the firehouse and ESU comes zipping by with the lights and sirens on, and then you get the ticket 5 minutes later. Usually comes in as an auto accident with property damage, and then it gets upgraded to a reported pin, or upgraded to an auto accident with injuries.

I live not too far from where this accident occurred, and it really is a toss up. ESU Truck 4 is a few blocks away, as is 46 Truck, depending on where the accident is. Not defending or condemning here. Just calling it like it is. And, unfortunately, it's not going to change anytime soon. But, one only has to watch that video of the car vs. motorcycle wreck in East New York a few months back to show who should be doing extrication in NYC.

I really don't understand why people argue about who has a bigger set. I never see one person ask, the status of the victim and if they were alright which is the bottom line, but all i see is always arguments between ESU and FDNY.

I may be wrong but doesn't all 911 calls now go through PD first and then handed off to FD operators. If that is true, doesn't it make sense that PD does get the call first.

I have worked at pin jobs and many other operations with ESU and never had a bad experience with them, always worked with us to try and free the victim. No matter where you go your gonna have people that are a**holes both in PD and FD.

Just had to add my 2 cents

I don't think it has to do with a bigger set. It's a duplication of services, and it's not necessary.

It has nothing to do with a bigger set As stated, its a duplication of services.  I have worked with them on numerous occastions and have no problem with the guys personally but there SOP is to operate before us at all cost which is dangerous for everyone especially the victims. You can say what you want but I've seen it with my own eye,s not getting my info from the daily news battle of the badge bullshit. I  have heard that pd has an officer assigned to 911 who listens up for any rescues coming across and gives esu the heads up. Simple solution if they wanted to be firemen they should have taken the fd test stick to police work, unless they want to give us guns as someone stated before the people dont care who saves them its just whos closer. ;D

T

Ten-seventy-seven

If it was my family, I would want the correctly trained and best equipped personnel, not the nearest to the incident. As I said in the motorcycle thread, you should not move a victim until the scene has been analyzed and the appropriate measures are put in place to protect and stabilize the scene and the casualty. Having a race to get to the scene before FD and get the victim removed is just going to result in mistakes, paralysis or death, as we have already witnessed.

It is not even a duplication of services, there is no way law enforcement personnel, however nice they may be, can have the same level of training and experience dealing with these kind of incidents as members of the FD. They should be assisting with evidence gathering, traffic control and ensuring the law has been adhered to.

I have the greatest of respect for all our true friends in the PD, but the time has come to stop playing super heros and go back to what you were trained to do, which is to uphold the law and keep the peace and leave the job of rescue to the FD.