Rescue 3

Box 3127, Third Avenue at 179 St, came in last night for a transformer fire at the Co-Ed station.

BN 19 was advised that R3 is 1st due.

Apparently no one has told STARFIRE that R3 doesn't live there anymore.

It is probably still a R-3 box. All the Rescues have "First Due" areas around their quarters. R-1 goes up into the 60's and down into the 20's first due. It may be a few extra blocks from 176 and Wash, but it's still an R-3 box.

Except that R3 now (since they moved south) have to pass 46/27 to get to it. Seems to me that would make 46/27 able to get in there a lot sooner...not to mention 88/38.

You got to know your neighborhood.

3511 said:
Except that R3 now (since they moved south) have to pass 46/27 to get to it. Seems to me that would make 46/27 able to get in there a lot sooner...not to mention 88/38.

You got to know your neighborhood.
Also Washington Ave. is "One Way" southbound. ;)

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Upon moving into The Bronx, Rescue 3 was given boxes where they could beat "first due" the nearest truck company into. They only had a handfull of boxes & it was to remain that way by orders of top chiefs. No additions were permitted!

That Con Ed yard, which is an old train yard, should have the response of Rescue 3. Too many hazards connected to a facility of that size.

Ok, interesting discussion.

According to ther FDNY Operational Reference (by Jim Griffiths), "Rescue companies are also assigned on boxes if closer than the first due ladder company"...

Prior to their move, R3 was closer to box 3127 than the 1st due truck (L27). Now that they have moved they definitely are not closer than L27, or L38 for that matter.

BUT....the Op Ref also says that "Rescue companies are also assigned on...street boxes associated with specific hazards", which could be the case here due to the Con Ed station.

The dispatcher the other night specifically stated that R3 was "first due". Was that incorrect, were they just assigned on the box? Or if correct, does that mean that companies arriving before them wait for R3 to investgate the hazard? Or did STARFIRE just post it wrong for the dispatcher because it has not been updated as to R3's new location?

After we figure this out we can try how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Bulldog

Bulldog
3511 said:
BUT....the Op Ref also says that "Rescue companies are also assigned on...street boxes associated with specific hazards", which could be the case here due to the Con Ed station.

The dispatcher the other night specifically stated that R3 was "first due". Was that incorrect, were they just assigned on the box? Or if correct, does that mean that companies arriving before them wait for R3 to investgate the hazard?
I'm not sure about FDNY but I know many departments have the areas with special hazards where a specific company (if available) is designated to make the first entry because of their knowledge of special hazards at the site.  I would think a utility substation would certainly contain many special hazards that you would need to be aware of before entering.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Could it be that the assigned companies may not been in quarters & would have been responding from a far distance, so the dispatcher tipped off Res 3 that they would or could be arriving 1st due?

Atlas,

No, 46 and 27 were were advised by the dispatcher of conditions on their way in. E48 was id'd as the 10-14 engine, the usual ticket.

46 88 48      27 38  Bn 19