EMS Q&A

RM1 was assigned to 07R using the callsign 81R and RM2 was assigned to 20R using the callsign 82R as an expansion of the PRU program. The PRU program has been put on hold since Covid and 07R and 20R are back in transport capable buses. When they were in service, they had the same capacities as other Rescue Medics with the only difference is they needed BLS back up on every transport.

RM1 was assigned to 07R using the callsign 81R and RM2 was assigned to 20R using the callsign 82R as an expansion of the PRU program. The PRU program has been put on hold since Covid and 07R and 20R are back in transport capable buses. When they were in service, they had the same capacities as other Rescue Medics with the only difference is they needed BLS back up on every transport.

Thank you Philip, aka "Lebby".

I think when it comes to the FDNY/EMS, alot of us count on you to give us the latest updates. "I know I do".

By the way, for ALL of our EMS First Responders in NYC or elsewhere, "Please be careful and take those much needed precautions, as our country deals with this upswing in Covid-19 cases". No one involved in EMS or First responders has ever faced a situation like you have faced since March of this year.

AJB

What is the difference between the EMS LT & EMS CPT Conditions unit? Who ever drives the conditions unit depends on whos on shift? The picture that I provided is a EMS DIV 1 Conditions unit, who would drive that one?

This one I believe is from EMS Battalion 8.

And then there are ones like this with no numbers in the star.

Is there a difference between the three conditions units that I have provided? Or does it just depend on who is on shift?

Attachments

• EMS DIV 1 Conditions Unit.jpg
    EMS DIV 1 Conditions Unit.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 6
No difference between a Lieutenant or a Captain, just whoever is scheduled to work that day. Usually Captain's aren't scheduled to work the road but can fill vacancies, when they do they use the same vehicle but use the callsign Battlion i.e. Battalion 10. The Division Conditions are usually bosses on overtime riding enhancement units. A enhancement unit is any unit, ALS, BLS or boss which is added to the system to reduce call volume, usually using a number such as 61, 81, etc with an area assigned by the Division RCC. Sometimes the Division car is used as a spare, same for the unnumbered cars, mostly just spares. Only other addition is the PRU medic program, but that's been suspended (unknown if it'll be returning) with the some of the PRU trucks being used as spare conditions cars.

Last edited:
Years ago prior to the merger the conditions cars were known as 'patrol.' Ex: 46 Patrol was a Lt. from Station 46 in Queens, 10 Patrol was a Lt. from Station 10 which at that time was out of Bellevue Hospital in Manhattan and so on,

Some of the senior bosses still refer to it as patrol

THANK YOU "Lebby" and "memorymaster". You guys are the experts on this site when it comes to New York City's EMS, whether current or in the past.

I'm sure if any of us have any questions regarding the EMS of NYC, we will be able to count on you.

Thanks guys and certainly THANK You "memorymaster" for the job you have done during your career, and the job "Lebby" is currently doing. No doubt you have played a significant role in saving HUNDREDS of Lives within our Largest City in America.

AJB

As of 2020 there are now six EMS Divisions with another three being formed (two in each boro except for S.I). Does anyone know if the newly/future created ems divisions will get additional resources like the MERV/LSU or new ems stations or would the resources they already have will end up getting divided? I am also curious as to if ems will have there own equivalent of a boro commander to supervise both divisions.

HCO

As of this date, EMS field forces are organized in three field commands, each led by a Deputy Assistant Chief. The three commands are: Citywide Central (Divisions 1, 4, 9) at Station 4, Citywide North (Divisions 2, 7, Special Operations) at Station 19, and Citywide South (Divisions 3, 5, 8) at Station 58. Each of the Citywide commands is directed by a Deputy Assistant Chief, each Division by a Deputy Chief. Each of the divisions has either 4 or 5 EMS stations.

The several special units have not changed quarters.

As of this date, EMS field forces are organized in three field commands, each led by a Deputy Assistant Chief. The three commands are: Citywide Central (Divisions 1, 4, 9) at Station 4, Citywide North (Divisions 2, 7, Special Operations) at Station 19, and Citywide South (Divisions 3, 5, 8) at Station 58. Each of the Citywide commands is directed by a Deputy Assistant Chief, each Division by a Deputy Chief. Each of the divisions has either 4 or 5 EMS stations.

The several special units have not changed quarters.
When I packed it in 11 years ago the Divisions were borough encompassing, i.e, 1 Manhattan, 2 Bronx, 3 Brooklyn, 4 Queens and 5 Coney Island & Staten Island.
What is what now? There were no 7, 8 and 9 then.

Is there any talk of changing how Fire units respond to EMS jobs? I seem to recall that FC Nigro had mentioned something about ALS engine companies? Thanks for the FDNY EMS updates/explanations, etc.

Is there any talk of changing how Fire units respond to EMS jobs? I seem to recall that FC Nigro had mentioned something about ALS engine companies? Thanks for the FDNY EMS updates/explanations, etc.

No, all firefighters are Certified First Responders (even if prior EMTs or Paramedics) and act accordingly as CFR-D engines stopping the clock on high priority ems jobs.

Did anyone see the letter written by the President of the EMS union on the editorial page of today's Daily News? Excellent read and right on target. I'd like to post it but as you know I have limited or practically no computer skills. lol

I am amused at the progress of EMS. I am glad to see EMS now as a fine, well respected service. I remember in 1978 there were no supervisors on the road, we did have a Lt., all he wanted to do was pull down the shades in his office during our graveyard shift and at 0600 bring him back a donut and coffee. All decisions were made by the EMT member on the unit at any given time.

AJB

I hope all had a good Christmas!! How many OMA Physicians are their? I know that only one is on duty and goes by Car 5M. If more are requested to go on shift would their designation be e.g. Car 5M-1?