BC HOWIE CARLSON FDNY '70 -'09.

Gone 2 years but surely NOT FORGOTTEN ........Your name comes up in so many conversations regarding what the JOB is really about ....... as You know .....Your Son Billy is carrying on in SQ*1 & Your Daughter Kathy is raising Her Children & dealing w/ the unfortunate & untimely death of Her Husband at the hands of a crimininal.....REST IN PEACE TO YOU & JAYNE.... MY FRIEND'S !....tears as i post this .

A PREVIOUS POST ON ANOTHER SITE W/ A LITTLE HISTORY.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 12-06-09 ...a good friend of mine passed away....His name was Howie Carlson....he was Best Man at my Wedding....we took the FF entrance test at Franklin K. Lane H.S. in '68...& both came on the JOB shortly after...he had a lifelong interest in the JOB just as i did ....He previously had been an FDNY Dispatcher ...&Fire Patrolman.... i watched his family grow up.... 2 wonderful & accomplished offspring ...Billy & Cathy...i spent much time with him both on & off the JOB...he was involved w/many on & off duty endeavors (Fire Related ) which were not recognized (in a large part because he never wanted attention called to anything he did)....he was also involved in many humanitarian efforts to help the families of deceased or injured FDNY Members whether it be painting a house , putting on a roof or just offering a comforting visit at the FF s Burn Center were he was much involved (& his Son Bill 20 + years FDNY is carrying on in his footsteps of caring for both our Brothers & the young individuals at the Burn Camp)....Howie was a MAN who did so much for so many & never asked for anything in return ....i could go on & on about things he did for the JOB & the BROTHERS but would run out of space...HOWARD J.CARLSON....FF ENG*277...Charter Member FF..LAD*175 .....FF...R*4....LT. LAD*120....CPT.LAD*124 (when the wall was up).....& B.C. BN*51...REST IN PEACE BROTHER .....RESPECT DUE...3 XXXX s for breakfast & go to every box in the City. 

Read more: http://fdnyrant.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=5555&thread=8417&page=1#ixzz1fjYtTdLz

I wonder sometimes how some people do it. They are apparently very strong. And I wonder why do terrible things happen to good people. Sometimes it just doesn't seem fair at all. Its a mystery I guess we'll never understand.

May God Bless daughter Kathy and her children and give her the strength to move on after this terrible incident.

Another "War Years Warrior" gone but never forgotten. Rest In Peace, Chief. And fond memories for those who remain.

12-6-09 to 12-6-13....Four years ....CONTINUED RIP BROTHER ....GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN.

BC Carlson was one of a kind. I used to see him more often when I lived in NY, moved to Florida in 2004. I rode with L176 for yrs and Howie was a Lt in L120 and after he was promoted to Capt. I would see him at the Cycle Club meetings.  R.I.P. Howie      :'(

Jack O'Reilly

I had the pleasure of meeting Chief Carlson Just once. It was a casual introduction at an event that led to a 20 minute conversation. While he was a Brooklyn guy his entire career he was able to comment upon Fdny companies & conditions throughout the city. Fascinating. I had looked forward to continuing the acquaintance and then soon heard that he had passed suddenly.

It is always nice to meet new people, but sometimes you just know that you have MET SOMEONE.

Amen. RIP Chief.

Howie's son Billy, was at the Cycle Club luncheon at Connolly's Corner in Maspeth yesterday (April 20, 2017). As Billy told stories I thought about Howie.
Howie: you dun good. rest in Peace,  Ira

I have told this story before but for Howie, one more time.  We had a job during the day on Pitkin Ave, right up the block from Firehouse.  I come out of the building and there is Howie.  I broke his balls about being back on Pitkin after all the jobs he went to on it.  A week later, he dies.  He was visiting Pitkin Ave, which is a Fireman killer, one more time.  I am a TL-111 alumnus and good friends with his son, who also worked there.  Howie is another one who made this Job Great.

Capt JC (ret)
TL-120
Brownsville,  Brooklyn

I have heard many great stories about Chief Carlson from the retired Brothers from Ladder 124 that are my neighbors here in Virginia. Continue to Rest in Peace Battalion Chief Carlson.

My Dad was a FF in 211 and back in the day Howie would go to Firehouses and take pictures of the men and make a Collage of that Company. As a FF that saw Howie all the time, he told me he had a Collage with my Dad in it. I went to his house and picked it up, but unfortunately my Dad passed away a few days later. The other oddity was my wife went to Richmond Hill High with his wife Jane and read her obit in the paper and we attended her wake as she had passed before Howie. I believe the Collage was taken around 1962.

^^^^. Howie's Son Bill (who just RET) dug up the negatives & had several of the collages from 1962 re printed & is going to take them to the FHs they were originally taken at...in addition to 211 a few that I remember were R*2...235 ...102...108...SQ*9.....I think there were more...one other that I remember was either 234 or 235... in the center the rig was in front of a Frame bldg with the exterior asphalt (aka gasoline) shingle siding burning & raining down.