What is the normal assignment for a person hit by or pinned under a train or a subway train?

I would imagine that for a person pinned under a train that at a minimum a Ladder , and a Rescue or perhaps a Squad would be dispatched or maybe both. Does anyone have more specific information on the dispatch policy for a person hit by a train. Are there any Engines due for manpower purposes and does more then one Ladder normally get dispatched to that type of a call?
I know that over the years the FDNY has been getting more Special Operations calls thrown its way as at one time the NYPD ESU bureau would handle more or the Rescue type of runs. Do the NYPD ESU still handle subway accidents or is that now strickly a FDNY responsibility?

FDNY Rescues always handled the majority of "Rescue type runs".....in fact we had Airbags before NYPD or Transit ESU & we (R*2) gave hands on instructions to Transit ESU in the use of Air Bags for train ops around 1980 .... we held classes for them at the Transit Underground Museum on Schermerhorn St in BKLYN ..... NYC TRANSIT AUTHORITY MUSEUM ....... after the PD Agencies merged in 1995 the Transit ESU became part pf the regular NYPD ESU.....both the FDNY Rescue's & the NYPD ESU respond to Transit incidents it is usually who ever arrives first has the job...the other may assist if need be.

Last edited:
As a side note, when I was at L 5 on 6th Ave, we would hear and watch the Port Authority convoy of emergency apparatus go screaming past. We watched them coming up the Avenue like a parade. Literally a few minutes we would be toned out for a man under at a PA tunnel entanceway located on Christopher St, a lengthy delay since this group came from Jersey through the Holland tunnel.

Last edited:
A little off topic, but what is the response to a person hit by a car? I'm not talking reported pinned under the car, just a person hit by a car. Is it 1 Engine or 1 Engine & 1 Ladder?

EMS-wise:
Man-under: 1 BLS, 1 Rescue Medic, 1 Supervisor (Conditions/ Battalion) and usually a Haz-Tac boss (they assign themselves)
Pedestrian Struck: 1 BLS

1 engine
2 ladders
1 battalion chief
1 rescue
1 squad
1 tactical support unit
The rescue battalion
And the safety battalion.
That’s 25 fire fighters , 5Lt/ Capt & 3BC for one in event ….a bit of a over kill, don’t ya think. Even if the person is pinned under the train , the most you can get Safely under a train to perform the removal is 3 , maybe 4 , members to perform the operation. Up until recently , a SOC support truck and a second Eng was also on this assignment.

That’s 25 fire fighters , 5Lt/ Capt & 3BC for one in event ….a bit of a over kill, don’t ya think. Even if the person is pinned under the train , the most you can get Safely under a train to perform the removal is 3 , maybe 4 , members to perform the operation. Up until recently , a SOC support truck and a second Eng was also on this assignment.
Not overkill. It takes 5-6 members just to set up communications relay. Everyone has a job to do.

Ok….so , now we’re down to 20 FF.
Don't forget that for prolonged operations you need back up companies to take over. There are other operations that will require more then one company to handle operations, such as Rescue and Squad or Rescue and Rescue. Then there's the crew that supports and relays tools and equipment. I was at a trench rescue operations in the Bronx back in the 80's, man down 20 feet in an unsupported trench in the street, with a mud wall collapsed up to his chest. If I remember correctly it took 2 Rescues, no Squads at that time, 2 Ladders, 2 Engine on scene and 3 Engine and a Salvage company relaying plywood, 2x4's and other types of wood and tools Rescue needed to shore up the walls and extricate the victim, which I believe took over 4 hours to perform. Plus we had the Chief officers on scene as well. You have to look at each operation separately

A man under and a trench are two different job….apples or oranges. A trench is a VERY equipment and personal intensive operations. And yes …can last hours. Not the case w a man under. Air bags or a bottle jack , some gribbing , back board or Revees sleeve … 2 or 3 guys under the train…anymore then that and guys are just getting in the way or not really doing much. One on the airbag / bottlejack control...and a few more on the platform for when the victim is passed up from under the train. and this is not counting the 4 to 6 personal from the EMS side.

Have you ever been on a man under? Trust me, more the merrier. Also, you have to remember not all of these incidents happen at the platform. Sometimes it's a half mile walk from the station.
Yes …many. And when they do happen between stations most likely a Box is transmitted for both stations …bringing even more personal. “ The more the merrier“ is not always a good thing …operating on the track bed is a very dangerous place. Especially when FD members are carrying metal stokes , halligans & metal hooks…yes , I’ve personally seen it ! On the track bed its the fewer the better. Trust me…experience talking. Don’t ever trust the TA even when they tell you “power is off” , alway operate like the power is on. I was at a job where we where told “power is off” and about 2 mins later a local train came “coasting“ into the station . talk about a shit show !

Last edited:
Yes …many. And when they do happen between stations most likely a Box is transmitted for both stations …bringing even more personal. “ The more the merrier“ is not always a good thing …operating on the track bed is a very dangerous place. Especially when FD members are carrying metal stokes , halligans & metal hooks…yes , I’ve personally seen it ! On the track bed its the fewer the better. Trust me…experience talking. Don’t ever trust the TA even when they tell you “power is off” , alway operate like the power is on. I was at a job where we where told “power is off” and about 2 mins later a local train came “coasting“ into the station . talk about a shit show !
You raise some good points, I haven't had a box struck on a job between stations, but that may have just been the Chief's discretion. I thankfully have only had "good" and efficient experiences, which I understand may not always be the case.

Last edited: