News of Members

Three or Four Years ago, a couple of us made the trip to visit the Boston Fire Dept.

The group of us included; Joe Materia (mack), Elwood Ervin (CFDMarshall), Frank Donohoe (fdce54), and myself.

It was there that we got to met Joe's son Mike, a Boston Firefighter and got a tour of the very busy firehouse he is assigned to.

Later that evening we also made a stop at the Boston Sparks Firehouse where we were invited to join several members there for a dinner meeting. The Boston Sparks are a group of individuals (volunteers, buffs, or "sparks" as they are called) who respond to serious incidents throughout the city as well as several surrounding cities and towns with refreshments. Some might refer to it as a Canteen Service or as the FDNY has "A Rac Unit".

It was there where we also got to meet the President of that organization and member here, Paul Boudreau, aka "RadioCW98".

The group of us also got to ride in that Boston Sparks Rig which is referred to by radio as "H-10" as they responded to a job in Boston. I think it went to a second alarm if I remember correctly.

Lately there has been some coverage of Boston incidents on this site, as well as a couple of questions on the units radio call signs.

Here is a recent video of Boston Sparks "H-10" and "H-11" responding.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=idd1ariPsEk
Wille, we are still waiting for you guys to come up for another visit!

mack

Administrator
Three or Four Years ago, a couple of us made the trip to visit the Boston Fire Dept.

The group of us included; Joe Materia (mack), Elwood Ervin (CFDMarshall), Frank Donohoe (fdce54), and myself.

It was there that we got to met Joe's son Mike, a Boston Firefighter and got a tour of the very busy firehouse he is assigned to.

Later that evening we also made a stop at the Boston Sparks Firehouse where we were invited to join several members there for a dinner meeting. The Boston Sparks are a group of individuals (volunteers, buffs, or "sparks" as they are called) who respond to serious incidents throughout the city as well as several surrounding cities and towns with refreshments. Some might refer to it as a Canteen Service or as the FDNY has "A Rac Unit".

It was there where we also got to meet the President of that organization and member here, Paul Boudreau, aka "RadioCW98".

The group of us also got to ride in that Boston Sparks Rig which is referred to by radio as "H-10" as they responded to a job in Boston. I think it went to a second alarm if I remember correctly.

Lately there has been some coverage of Boston incidents on this site, as well as a couple of questions on the units radio call signs.

Here is a recent video of Boston Sparks "H-10" and "H-11" responding.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=idd1ariPsEk
Boston Sparks respond in a rescue-type vehicle to provide decon/rehab services to firefighters and first responders. They provide individual disposal towels, for example, to members as they exit a fire building for immediate removal of soot/grime etc. They provide these services with directions by the incident commander. They also provide cold drinks, hot drinks, sandwiches and provide additional support as required (e.g. warming tents). The vehicle responds to working fires, major alarms, extended operations, crime scenes and major emergencies in Boston and surrounding cities was funds raised by FF Mike Kennedy's mom (FF Mike Kennedy - LODD - BFD L 15). The Sparks do a great job.

1626627511579.png

1626627551331.png

1626627764606.png

Example of Sparks support

Three of the firefighters were hurt by falling concrete when a portion of the garage collapsed

Feb 25, 2021

By Laura French
SOMERVILLE, Mass. — Five Massachusetts firefighters were injured in a parking garage fire on Wednesday.
Somerville firefighters responded to scene early Wednesday morning where a fire was burning on the fourth floor of the garage, according to Boston 25 News.
While battling the blaze, three firefighters were injured by falling concrete when a part of the structure collapsed from the heat. Two other firefighters also sustained minor injuries during the fire.
According to the Boston Sparks Association, which provided rehab services at the scene, the structure was a six-story, open-air garage, and crews were met with heavy fire from multiple electric cars at a charging station.
The fire spread into a void space between the garage and adjacent apartments, and also spread to the roof of the garage, causing burning debris to fall to the first floor. Four cars were destroyed in the blaze and one other car was damaged.

Last edited:

mack

Administrator
Grump - weren't you a Spark?

Some Boston translations for New Yorkers:

Boston"spark" is a fire "buff"

Boston "Jake" is a "firefighter"

Boston "District Chief" is a Battalion Chief

A few other Boston translations:

Wicked​

Definition: Synonymous with "very" or "really." Used to describe add emphasis to an adjective.
Sentence: There's no chance I'm leaving the apartment today, it's wicked cold.

Townie​

Definition: A native to neighborhoods in the Boston area, like Charlestown and Dorchester.
Sentence: The bar was packed with townies.

Packie​

Definition: A liquor store.
Sentence: I'll be over in ten, just gotta stop at the packie first.

Bubbler (pronounced bubblah)​

Definition: A drinking fountain.
Sentence: If you're thirsty just go grab a sip from the bubblah.

Dunks​

Definition: Boston's favorite coffee shop, Dunkin' Donuts - also referred to as Dunkin'.
Sentence: I'm stopping at Dunks, anyone want anything?

Cellar (pronounced cellah)​

Definition: The basement.
Sentence: I can't find that old box anywhere, will you go check down cellar?

Grinder (pronounced grindah)​

Definition: A sandwich or a hoagie.
Sentence: I'll pick up a couple of grinders for lunch.

Supper (pronounced suppah)​

Definition: Dinner.
Sentence: I think Johnny's coming over for supper tonight.

Bang a Uey​

Definition: AKA, take a U-turn.
Sentence: Drive past the gas station and bang a uey.

Barrel​

Definition: Garbage bin or trash can.
Sentence: Can you throw all that in the barrel, it's a mess in here.

Clicker (pronounced clickah)​

Definition: The remote control.
Sentence: Hand me the clicker, this show is awful.

Parlor (pronounced pahlah)​

Definition: The living room.
Sentence: Everyone's in the parlor watching the game.

The Pike​

Definition: The Massachusetts Turnpike.
Sentence: It's not far, just take the pike.

The Cape​

Definition: Cape Cod.
Sentence: We're going to the Cape for the weekend.

No Suh​

Definition: As in, no sir. An expression of shock or disbelief, like "no way?!"
Sentence: No suh, that did not happen!

Yah huh​

Definition: The correct response to "no suh,"
Sentence: Yah huh it did happen!

The Hub​

Definition: Boston = the Hub (and not Beantown). Comes from 19th century Oliver Wendell Holmes description of Boston State House, "the center of the solar system."
Sentence: I can't wait to get back to the Hub, it's been way too long.

Last edited:
One more "the Rotary"....... many intersections have a circle or as called in some areas "a roundabout" (NC for one) ....going to Boston many years ago the directions were make a left at "the Rotary" ......no Rotary Club in sight.....come to find out what they were talking about was "the circle" in the road at the corner.

Feeling sorry for our Uncle Wilfred. According the the New London Day, a kitchen fire at the Coleman Street McDonald's has closed the joint for an indefinite time. What is Willy D going to do??? He might do the repairs himself to get the place re-opened.

Feeling sorry for our Uncle Wilfred. According the the New London Day, a kitchen fire at the Coleman Street McDonald's has closed the joint for an indefinite time. What is Willy D going to do??? He might do the repairs himself to get the place re-opened.

Most definitely Johnny D "johnd248". It is very sad for the hundreds of people who visit that Micky Ds. But I do have a confession to make.

"I have NOT been to any Micky Ds, Burger Kings, or White Castle's in over a year". In fact, last night on the dinner table was fresh fish and fresh green beans. For a snack, later some fresh blueberries that my neighbor across the street gave me.

It is very true that back in my younger buffing days, Micky Ds, Burger Kings, or White Castles were my favorite hang outs.

In places like the Bronx, favorite spots were Webster Ave near 170th St or Fordham Rd and Southern Blvd.

In Brooklyn it was Broadway and Kosciuszko St between the areas of Bushwick, Bed Sty, East New York, and Williamsburg.

In Providence, RI it was a Burger King at Broad and Pearl Sts.

They were all places to go to keep warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Plus generally a useable rest room.

But these days things are much different. Yes, I do have my ice cream binges or a taste for a pizza, but it's not every day.

I'm certainly no athlete but the ole' worn out body seems to be doing okay these days. Of course I am very THANKFUL for being given generally good health.

Good health, food to eat with a couple of treats once in awhile, and a roof over my head.

Yes, LIFE IS GOOD and I certainly hope that it's good for you too.

Uncle Wilfred (NFD2004)

This past Tuesday (6/27), members of the FDNY Fire Bell Club visited the FDNY Fire Academy. The group included our own Mr Johnny D, aka "johnd248". There, John and the other members were treated to a "fantastic lunch of stuffed shells, eggplant, sausage and peppers, Swedish meatballs, roast beef and on and on.
They also watched the probie class go through a live burn evolution.
They got a tour of Field Comm and also the main administrative building where the auditorium is.

Johnny D said he also got to see Lt Tommy Bendick (the owner of this site) who was working at The Rock". John had met Lt Bendick a few years ago at Retired Captain John Bendick Sr's house.
When Johnny D described himself as "johnd248" of NYCFIRE, Tommy knew that this is the Real Johnny D from the hills of Stonington, Ct. A former FDNY Auxiliary Firefighter from Engine 248. Also a Brother Volunteer Firefighter from Fairfield, Ct, along with Willy D (NFD2004) way back in those mid 1970s.

But Johnny D and the Bell Club Group also got to meet the Chief in Charge of the FDNY Fire Academy, Chief Frank Leeb.
Back a few years ago, some other members here got to meet B/C Frank Leeb when he was working the very busy Battalion 39 in East NY, Brooklyn. The group of us got to visit that very busy Bradford St firehouse of Engine 332, Ladder 175, Field Comm, and the 39 Battalion, thanks to our good friend, retired B/C Jack Kleehaas, aka "68jk09".

Another interesting point is that it was Lt Tommy Bendicck that made it all possible for some of us to also get a tour of the FDNY Academy a few years ago.

For many of us, it is certainly a PRIVILAGE to know highly respected FDNY members such as Retired B/C Jack Kleehaas, Retired FDNY Captain John Bendick. As well as Chief Frank Leeb, and Lt Tommy Bendick.

There are many other highly respected Retired and Active FDNY members joining us here as well. As it goes, right across the board, all "Top shelf Guys"
All that great food and no invite for Willy D? Johnny D must have put the kibosh on your invite Willy. Your reputation and voracious appetite precede you.

But Johnny D and the Bell Club Group also got to meet the Chief in Charge of the FDNY Fire Academy, Chief Frank Leeb.
Back a few years ago, some other members here got to meet B/C Frank Leeb when he was working the very busy Battalion 39 in East NY, Brooklyn. The group of us got to visit that very busy Bradford St firehouse of Engine 332, Ladder 175, Field Comm, and the 39 Battalion, thanks to our good friend, retired B/C Jack Kleehaas, aka "68jk09".

My apologizes guys.

Chief Frank Leeb was assigned Battalion 46, in the quarters of Engine 287 and Ladder 136 and NOT Battalion 39 when we first met him.

To my friend Mr Frankie D "fdce54" regarding me not being invited to the party that Johnny D attended, "I just might throw my own food party with all those goodies and invite EVERYBODY except ???? ( I think you guys know, I don't have to tell you).
Just kidding of course Mr Johnny D. How could I not invite you. You can be our dancing entertainment with your smooth soft shoe/tap dancing. (Johnny D has won several dance contest in the past and I think it is even mentioned somewhere in this thread).

mack

Administrator
Prayers for brother Steve Elliott. Going in for emergency right now. Infection. Hole in intestines. High fever. He is in Martha Washington Med Center. Charlottesville. Steve is BC in Albermarle Count VA. God bless Steve and family.