NEW 2020 Silverados Divisions and Battalions

I believe all Divisions are getting these due to I saw New Div 3 and 6... not sure what battalions but Rescue Battalion, Safety are on the list. And I assume anyone that is using a 2008,09 GMC that is a battalion

How come not Chevy Tahoes or GMC Yukons ?......these would be a lot more sensible in NYC streets.

Agreed .. sensible is not always a "word" in some of the process's but the 17 inch length difference between a Chevy Suburban XL / or GMC Yukon XL is a factor versus the shorter Chevy Tahoe / GMC Yukon .....the length for parking at a Fire scene or the length for turning in tight NYC Streets is a definite factor not only as far as getting the Chiefs Rig out of the way for placement of needed Rigs (& on a lesser point for fitting in certain FHs)

Beautifully stated, Chief. And a perfect example of why people with boots-on-the-ground, with real, practical, intelligent experience are necessary in the RFP, development and the entire procurement process are absolutely critical. Who, without experience such as your's, might ever think that something as mundane as the length of a chief's vehicle might compromise placement of needed rigs.

Bulldog

Bulldog
What kind of trailers to the haul? That looks like a pretty heavy duty trailer hitch installed under new trucks.

The Tahoe and Yukon is not available with a V8 diesel, simple as that.
A Diesel engine is not a necessity ...even though the in house fuel tanks are only diesel units have a gas card to get gasoline at commercial gas stations for Saws generators, Hurst Tools or other portable equipment ....this could be used to fill up a Gasoline vehicle just as the NYPD does every day.

What kind of trailers to the haul? That looks like a pretty heavy duty trailer hitch installed under new trucks.
Originally in the late '90s when BN Rig's first came equipped with Trailer Hitches they were for use transporting a large towable electric generator from FH to FH if there was a power outage....FHs like a BN or DV had a large receptacle outside that the generator could be plugged into to power the FH....newer FHs built after the mid '80s ? had a built in diesel generator in the FH for emergency power but older FHs had nothing....in preparation for the dreaded millennium New Years Eve in 1999 BNs were given one of these large towable electric generators....when I was in BN*46 back then we stored the generator at 319 & if needed we would tow it with the BN*Rig......a few years into the 2000s the Dept had a contractor with a boom crane lift the generator from QNS Blvd over the bldg in the rear of the FH into the rear yard where it was permanently wired into the FH electric system.....I imagine there are other uses for the Tow Hitch today especially in SOC ....I am out over ten yrs so I only know the original use for the Hitch....I would guess it is cheaper & simpler to put one on at the factory than retrofit one later if the need arose.

I recall reading either on another thread here or somewhere online, but another reason for the pick up instead of the SUV is to keep the turnout gear out of the area where the members ride, as the gear can be loaded with carcinogens and other hazards