Housewatch areas

In the interest of stimulating a little banter - which houses had the nicest/ most functional housewatch areas, which ones had a lot to be desired?

92/44/17 and 280/132's houses look identical.
I wonder if the housewatches are the same.
I assume they were separate housewatches decades ago.

mack

Administrator
Ladder 3's housewatch and journal entry at 1502 hrs about 1970s (?).

View attachment 26900

No computer, no laptop, no iPad, no cell phone - but a helpful buff. Housewatch probably looked like this for 40 years.

View attachment 26901
Great picture of HW . When I I broke in @L131 looks exactly what we had, love the nameplate with badge # which was required or you had to have your cap/badge with you by Regs.
The wooden box we had held a small TV which was on a hinged door that could quickly be closed and would shut off TV when Chief made a visit.
Looks like he had an old Assistant House Watch with him in picture, probies had to stand assistant HW when not doing anything to help count the bells.

Great picture of HW . When I I broke in @L131 looks exactly what we had, love the nameplate with badge # which was required or you had to have your cap/badge with you by Regs.
The wooden box we had held a small TV which was on a hinged door that could quickly be closed and would shut off TV when Chief made a visit.
Looks like he had an old Assistant House Watch with him in picture, probies had to stand assistant HW when not doing anything to help count the bells.
40 years ++.
I remember the funny part when I was in Red Hook the house was divided, E 279- L131 each had a Housewatch. When the phone rang each house watch had to answer the phone separately at the same time almost. We were in no hurry so 279 usually answered first and we would just wait til he finished before talking except when it rang more than three rings than you ran to get it before that dreaded fourth ring! If it was a Chief he would want an explanation why the phone rang four times🥴

Last edited:
The picture of L3 house watch looks like the senior man, Jimmy Marron who worked there in the 70’s.

92/44/17 and 280/132's houses look identical.
I wonder if the housewatches are the same.
I assume they were separate housewatches decades ago.
t123ken,
I know 280 and 132 had separate housewatches when the house was built and up until the 70's. I don't know exactly when it became a combined housewatch area.