Detroit/Highland Park Dustup

That’s a strange area up there. Yes it seems outrageous, wreckless, and indifferent at face value…. But do we know the whole story ???

Politics gets in the way of protection. I know around here in Greater Cincinnati there are areas of cities or townships that are geographically cut off from the bulk of the city or township they belong to yet that city or township is always the first due to fire or EMS emergencies. Now, in the case of structure fires multiple mutual aid departments will respond and work together. But city of Cincinnati almost never relies on mutual aid for fires or as a first responder on any emergencies. The only time I can recall is during a 6-Alarm fire mutual aid was called to other emergencies due to nearby CFD companies being unavailable. An ambulance may be called for mutual aid into Cincinnati if and only if all CFD ambulances are unavailable.

Is this the Motor City remake of that classic movie "Rashomon" demonstrating the Rashomon Effect? I can't wait for a remake of "Seven Samurai"!

Highland Park is woefully understaffed at best. There were some stories from a few years back concerning the staffing and equipment for Highland park. They lost the fire house due to condition and they were operating out of a temporary. I thought at that time they were auto aid with all the border cities? Who knows now.

So I guess one is to conclude that these communities out in Michigan have no idea how to cooperate with each other. An inability to govern those who elected or appointed them.

Or maybe...

E63/L39 arrive at a report of fire on a street right on the NYC line, a valid FDNY box#. But the involved structure is actually on the opposite side of the street in Mount Vernon.

L39 gains entry and ensures that all occupants have already evacuated the building safely. E63 searches and finds a compatible hydrant to hookup and stretches a line. But...

Before the hoseline is charged, MVFD arrives and takes control of the incident since it is in their jurisdiction.

A possible explanation of what happened here? None of us were there so who is to judge? But who of us who ever were firefighters would consider for an instant abandoning those in peril?

Methinks this is all bureucratic BS.

I used to listen to DFD. They would dispatch Hamtramck, Highland Park & Detroit to structure fires together. Maybe something changed.
It comes down to perception. Whether Detroit, New York, or anywhere else, common sense has to be used when a city/town picks up from a border box. It just doesn’t look good when hoses are being picked up and the fire is still roaring away. Perhaps there is more to the story, we’ll have to wait and see.

Can someone explain what's going on between Detriot and Highland Park, I'm confused.

I would bet there is a lot more to this story than what has been reported. Any Detroit members on this site that could elaborate?