5/28/24 Brooklyn 10-77 Box 3540

Incident Location: 2926 West 25th Street

Phone Alarm Reporting Fire In Apartment 1215 On The 12th Floor.

B42: 10-77, Smoke Condition In Apartment 1215 In The D-Wing. @23:07

CIDS: 13-Story 100x150 Class 1 Multiple Dwelling.

BK/B42: L169 Is Designated Your FAST Truck & Medical Branch Resources Are Responding.

BK/B42: E246HRN, E243CFRD, TL159VSU, B40SO.

B42: Using All Hands For Fire In Apartment 1215 On The 12th Floor, 2926 West 25th Street Is The Confirmed Address. 1 L/S/O, Water On The Fire. Searches Are In Progress. Size Up As Per CIDS, Trucks Are Opening Up. @23:11

B42: MBOFKD. @23:16

B42: Primary Searches In The Attack Stairwell & Fire Apartment Are Complete & Negative. @23:19

B42: PWH. @23:21

D8: Under Control. @23:30 (Duration 35 Min)

Exposures:
1: Street
2: Courtyard
3: Courtyard
4: Parking Lot

Rundown:
E318, E245, E254, E253, E246HRN, E243CFRD
L166, TL161, L169F, L168, TL172, TL159VSU
B42, B43, B33, B40SO
R5
SQ1
D8
RAC5
RB, SB, FC, RM1
*B43 Initially Unavailable, Box 3697*

Relocations:
L123 act. L168
E323 act. E245
E201 act. E253
E283 act. E246
L109 act. TL161

Last edited:
Incident Location: 2926 West 25th Street

Phone Alarm Reporting Fire In Apartment 1215 On The 12th Floor.

B42: 10-77, Smoke Condition In Apartment 1215 In The D-Wing. @23:07

CIDS: 13-Story 100x150 Class 1 Multiple Dwelling.

BK/B42: L169 Is Designated Your FAST Truck & Medical Branch Resources Are Responding.

BK/B42: E246HRN, E243CFRD, TL159VSU, B40SO.

B42: Using All Hands For Fire In Apartment 1215 On The 12th Floor, 2926 West 25th Street Is The Confirmed Address. 1 L/S/O, Water On The Fire. Searches Are In Progress. Size Up As Per CIDS, Trucks Are Opening Up. @23:11

Rundown:
E318, E245, E254, E253, E246HRN, E243CFRD
L166, TL161, L169F, L168, TL172, TL159VSU
B42, B43, B33, B40SO
R5
SQ1
D8
RAC5
RB, SB, FC, RM1
*B43 Initially Unavailable, Box 3697*

Relocations:
“D” wing apartments are duplexes as per CIDS. another multi-fire night for DIV8 both in SI and South BK.

if my memory serves me correct...as a covering lieut. in the old 12 div
there was a battalion chief in the 43bn... i believe his name was hartnett
he had a book on the layouts of every project bldg in coney island
the most dangerous bldgs were the ones that have duplex down apts
if the fire was in a duplex down apt...
he would have the units breach the wall of the adjoining duplex down apt
and attack fire from there

Last edited:
if my memory serves me correct...as a covering lieut.
Good info. A lot of large, irregular projects in Coney. This apartment in particular was a duplex up. Still makes for a challenge when you’re responding to a 10-77

Yup. They still have “the book”

The brothers in the area know the buildings well.

I believe it was BC Bob Glynn (now retired) who made it.

Yes. Good memory about a great Battalion Chief. He had semi annual drills for all first due companies with different situations. Since some buildings had exterior standpipes he had us drill on stretching lines to upper floors when frozen.
Besides up and down duplexes some buildings had exterior access to all apartments, when the wind blew against you it was all hands just to get the line to the apartment.
These buildings were built under the now defunct Mitchel Lama State program not with NYC codes
I believe there was an article in WNYF ‘Beware the Coney Island Highrise’ he helped author.

if my memory serves me correct...as a covering lieut. in the old 12 div
Not 100%, because this was compiled decades before I got on, but Hartnett sounds right. Not to take away from Glynn - a great chief and great commander.
This was handdrawn in the 70's or 80's. A good resource, but you need to reeeeally be familiar with the buildings, and then the book itself, to understand it.
1 building in particular, in order to get to the actual floor above (3 stories between public hallways), you'd have to go to the apartment door adjacent to the fire apartment. Or, maybe, across the hallway from the fire apartment. And there were several other buildings with extremely unique features regarding standpipe outlet location and floor above access. Getting a blanket in position might be near impossible, but even if you're a couple floors above, the roof rope can be there if you need it.

I'm not sure who started it, but Glynn updated it. It's still in the rig. Nice security blanket for covering chiefs.

Even for a covering Chief or ABC to have the book in hand only gives you a little bit of a grasp on what’s going on. A regular aide who’s familiar with buildings has in the area is invaluable.
Most important is officers and Firefighters that are familiar with the buildings.
Some of those buildings are just absolutely confusing without anything going on let alone a good job with heavy smoke condition.

Even for a covering Chief or ABC to have the book in hand only gives you a little bit of a grasp on what’s going on. A regular aide who’s familiar with buildings has in the area is invaluable.
Most important is officers and Firefighters that are familiar with the buildings.
Some of those buildings are just absolutely confusing without anything going on let alone a good job with heavy smoke condition.
When you have a covering boss heading to the lobby, it's good to have some guys with time to stop him and explain there's no stairs, and you have to find an arbitrary door on the exterior to access the stairs

One of the toughest fires I was ever at was a duplex apartment in Coney Island. The night before Thanksgiving. Raining & Windy. search ropes in the hallway. I'll never forget that one

Not taking Anything away from the members of the 43! The officers and firefighters take great pride in knowing those buildings and taking the time to let covering chiefs, abc’s and officers know how tough the buildings are. As a Chief that didn’t get a chance to get into all these buildings, having that book gave me an idea. The aides where outstanding.

There was a report of fire on the 9th floor of this building last night at 2AM, the 43 used 1&2 for a rubbish fire in the hallway. Transmitted a 10-41 (1). Busy building and box the last few days.