Rundown of units at 9-11

It was either Little Ferry or Teterboro that was working in Bklyn, one of there Ladders couldn't go under the elevated. SQ270 caught a run before the recall to. Turned out to be a 10-92 (I don't think 10-92 applies to bomb threats but either way it was a false alarm
Post in thread 'Fire Departments That Don't Use Standard (NST) Hose Threads'#6
I remember on 9-11 our Quarters (E-276/L-156) were assigned three NJ companies to man the house. One of them was Little Ferry their rig could not go under the 16th Street underpass. After many calls to the Dispatcher they were sent to Bay Ridge. Next time I visit the Firehouse, probably for Waldbaum’s Memorial I will look for the diary we kept of Companies and names of those NJ firefighters who stayed for two days with us. A long overdue recognition is due for their help.

I have made a map of emergency vehicles on scene at the time of 9:59 AM and included a image of it. It is still W.I.P and probably only covers 40% of the units on scene, sources are all videos and images. If you notice anything wrong with the map let me know. (SOME IMAGES ARE STOCK IMAGES IF I COULDN'T GET A GOOD ANGLE OR TAKEN ON A DATE BEFORE 9/11)
That is very impressive! Thanks for putting it together.

Very impressive stuff, I spent way too much of my workday looking thru all the units and comparing notes and I think you're pretty spot on especially considering how different the streetscape is down there these days versus 2001. The only 3 I didn't see were L118 and E26 that were parked side by side at the intersection of West and Vesey facing S and the RAC-3 Spare, which I believe you have marked as the Chaplains car on W Broadway behind E28 next to 7WTC.

Im gonna start making maps for where emergency vehicles were every 10 minutes 8:50-10:30 starting off with 8:50

Im gonna start making maps for where emergency vehicles were every 10 minutes 8:50-10:30 starting off with 8:50
Question regarding this map, wouldn't the Chief of Department be Car 3 not Car 1?

How did E76 get in so fast? There coming in from 100th St. How did they get there by 9AM???

Last edited:
When apparatus was destroyed, how quickly were those companies given new rigs to go back in service? Or a better question would be, how long after did certain units go back to their own area? Understandably there was no “SOP” for that type of operation and of course NJ and other neighboring states and county departments were filling in for some time.

When apparatus was destroyed, how quickly were those companies given new rigs to go back in service? Or a better question would be, how long after did certain units go back to their own area? Understandably there was no “SOP” for that type of operation and of course NJ and other neighboring states and county departments were filling in for some time.
Lehigh County PA Emergency Management Command Post was there until the 14th. They we're in Jersey City for a training session.

Most companies we're probably using the reserve rigs after the attacks or stuff from the spare pool. (Isn't E4 in the 9AM Picture a late 80's mack, assuming its a spare). Plus didn't several companies use appratus that was donated to the FDNY after the Attacks? Wasn't E34 using a appratus that was donated?

I have made a map of emergency vehicles on scene at the time of 9:59 AM and included a image of it. It is still W.I.P and probably only covers 40% of the units on scene, sources are all videos and images. If you notice anything wrong with the map let me know. (SOME IMAGES ARE STOCK IMAGES IF I COULDN'T GET A GOOD ANGLE OR TAKEN ON A DATE BEFORE 9/11)
I have added civilian evacuation routes to the map to give a perspective to how far they had to go from the tower to find a triage zone