SUPER PUMPER 1

With all these major fires in Brooklyn and today in Queens, what are the saving the "Super Pumper" FOR ? I worked from time to time in the old Mack Super Pumper System and a Satellite responded, as is done now, on every 2nd Alarm. But the old Mack Super Pumper and Tender and 2 additional Satellites responded on the 3rd alarm. Why have these units if you don't use them major fires?View attachment 43607View attachment 43608View attachment 43609View attachment 43610View attachment 43611 Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired
Better to have them there and not need them rather then to need them and their not there.
However I am completely unsure why they aren't used more, could possibly the positioning apparatus 🤷‍♂️

RCL

With all these major fires in Brooklyn and today in Queens, what are the saving the "Super Pumper" FOR ? I worked from time to time in the old Mack Super Pumper System and a Satellite responded, as is done now, on every 2nd Alarm. But the old Mack Super Pumper and Tender and 2 additional Satellites responded on the 3rd alarm. Why have these units if you don't use them major fires?View attachment 43607View attachment 43608View attachment 43609View attachment 43610View attachment 43611 Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

Someone may correct me if I'm wrong but I think it has to do with Internal politics. The chief who had a vision for the unit, is no longer with the FDNY for what ever reason. The current administration doesn't really know or care what to do with it so it became an after thought.

Last edited:
We Have To Remember How Much Of A Pain The Super Pumper Is To Set Up.. Not As Easy As You Think. Even Harder To Get It Into A Good Position At A Fire w/ It Operating.

We Have To Remember How Much Of A Pain The Super Pumper Is To Set Up.. Not As Easy As You Think. Even Harder To Get It Into A Good Position At A Fire w/ It Operating.
Yes the fire at the maintenance garage it was almost 45 minutes, I think all they did was supply one or two units, if that.

RCL

We Have To Remember How Much Of A Pain The Super Pumper Is To Set Up.. Not As Easy As You Think. Even Harder To Get It Into A Good Position At A Fire w/ It OpOperating.
It is but at the same time it's not. Just thinking outside the box here, it's a big pump. It doesn't need to be in front of the bldg. If it can get a decent water supply, from whatever source, it can feed a Satellite manifold or the satellite itself. Or both. It would be great to be in front, but as an alternative feeding a satellite would work. But that's just me.

FIRE DEPARTMENT • CITY OF NEW YORK Supplement No. 53 to Department Order No. 68
June 18, 2024 Edited Online Edition
page1image3117053424 page1image3117054032
AMENDMENTS TO FD MANUALS
2.1.1 AUC 254
AUC 254 titled Chauffeur Guidelines dated December 16, 2014, is amended as follows:
Delete: Section 4.5 & 4.6 Insert: Section 4.5, 4.6 & 4.7 to read:
  1. 4.5 Super Pumper Engine Companies and their designated back-up shall start each tour with at least one (1)
    school trained chauffeur and at least one (1) school trained Super Pumper chauffeur.
  2. 4.6 When a designated back-up unit is staffed with one (1) school trained chauffeur and one (1) company trained chauffeur and is assigned to pick up a special unit's second piece, they shall be guided by the
    following:
    • The company trained chauffeur shall drive the assigned apparatus accompanied by the officer. • The school trained chauffeur shall drive the second piece accompanied by another firefighter. • The assigned apparatus and the second piece shall travel as a convoy.
  3. 4.7 All other Special Units require only an operator with a valid NYS Driver's License.
Under Section: 6.2 Add: Super Pumper
Affected pages 5-6 (Rev. 06/18/24) reflecting this change have been issued and forwarded to all Bureaus and Divisions for equal distribution to all units under their command.

RCL

Super pumped is quartered at E260, correct? What are the backup companies for the SP?
291 is the back up. If I remember correctly, SP1 is at 238 and 260 has the foam truck. I think they need to redo the floors to get SP1 into 260s bldg. And the foam truck to 238.

RCL

Did the super pumper respond to either multiple this morning?
Not seeing it on the active 4th in da Bronx

260 is/was acting 55 and 291 is/ was acting 33 which may be part of the problem.

Last edited: