ESSO BRUSSELLS -SEA WITCH COLLISION 1973.

http://disasterhx.blogspot.com/2013/06/on-this-day-1973-ship-collisionfire-ny.html?m=1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        A real hairy job....i was not there but worked w/guys who were...R*2 had boarded the Sea Witch on a portable from a Fireboat....they were searching crew quarters on board when the ship began to list severely (in the direction of the FB)...the FB was ordered to cast off but refused & remained until all the Members were back on board...by that time shipping containers were sliding off the listing Sea Witch most (luckily) missing the FB.             

Cover photo of the  fireboat Archer at this job, I believe that was marine 6 at the time on the cover of the second issue WNYF 1973.  Article in the 4th issue WNYF 1973

I think a second explosion happened when the Firefighter 1 was alongside the Esso Brussels about a week after the original collision. It is over 50 years ago so I may be mistaken.
I had another incident when I was a fireman in Tower Ladder 18, on Manhattan's Lower east Side, when spark from welding on the Williamsburg Bridge fell into the open hatch of a ship called the Poling Brothers # (don't remember the number}, causing an explosion. Rescue Co. 2 had to remove the Captain of the Poling Brothers ship via bridging with a portable ladder when he had a Heart Attack.
We, TL-18 were called to the deck of the Williamsburg Bridge due to a metal cover from the Poling Brothers ship being blown into the 3rd Rail of the Subway Line on the bridge, resulting in a railroad tie fire on the bridge. Talk about an odd ball incident.
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

I think a second explosion happened when the Firefighter 1 was alongside the Esso Brussels about a week after the original collision. It is over 50 years ago so I may be mistaken.
I had another incident when I was a fireman in Tower Ladder 18, on Manhattan's Lower east Side, when spark from welding on the Williamsburg Bridge fell into the open hatch of a ship called the Poling Brothers # (don't remember the number}, causing an explosion. Rescue Co. 2 had to remove the Captain of the Poling Brothers ship via bridging with a portable ladder when he had a Heart Attack.
We, TL-18 were called to the deck of the Williamsburg Bridge due to a metal cover from the Poling Brothers ship being blown into the 3rd Rail of the Subway Line on the bridge, resulting in a railroad tie fire on the bridge. Talk about an odd ball incident.
The audio of the jobs on YouTube, let me see if I can find it for you

Found it

The event you are thinking of was the aftermath of the Alva Cape/Texaco Massachusetts collision. The Alva Cape was anchored in Gravesend Bay lightering off the remaining Naptha cargo when sparks caused a massive explosion and fire. The fireboat Alfred Smith was alongside at the time and was pretty damaged by the blast and 4 salvage workers from Merritt, Chapman & Scott were killed.

97255172.jpg

Thank you, you are right I had the wrong incident for the secondary explosion. It was the Alva Cape-Texaco Massachusetts that had the Naphtha secondary explosion. The Seawitch burned for many days after the collision near the Verrazzano Bridge but as you correctly said no explosion took place. It is worth stating that with the reduced number of FDNY Large Marine Units I hope we do not have an incident similar to either of this major ship born incidents. It is only a matter of time. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

Thank you, you are right I had the wrong incident for the secondary explosion. It was the Alva Cape-Texaco Massachusetts that had the Naphtha secondary explosion. The Seawitch burned for many days after the collision near the Verrazzano Bridge but as you correctly said no explosion took place. It is worth stating that with the reduced number of FDNY Large Marine Units I hope we do not have an incident similar to either of this major ship born incidents. It is only a matter of time. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired
I thought of you when I posted this, you spoke about it on Gettin Salty