New Rescues ?

Can't speak to the Magirus elevator ladders (which FDNY tried but rejected in the 1960's, replacing the sticks on the two units they had bought), but the buckets on Morita elevator ladders cannot be compared to those on tower ladders, whether the single telescoping booms that FDNY has or the end-of-ladder style made by Pierce, Sutphen, E-One and others. The Moritas hold only one or two Asian firefighters, who are mostly much lighter weight guys than the average FDNY member . . . and that's without considering equipment weight. Also, the operate in a totally different manner . . . you climb into the bucket at the bottom of the ladder, and it then rises along the ladder to the top. The weight limit on the Morita bucket pretty much rules out using it for rescues, too. I don't see how they would fit into FDNY operating procedures.
Chicago brought the 2 146' Magirus ladders from FDNY to replace theirs.

I may be a matter of finding the right new apparatus for the FDNY but if London Fire Brigade Can make it work than FDNY can. Even with the problems with Snorkel, elbows in NYCs at time narrow streets, that may be one answer. Most NYC truly High-Rise Buildings are located on wide streets. There are Telescoping Snorkel devices that can handle the weight limit of 1,000 LBS that I still believe it the weight capacity of Aeroscope Tower Ladders. Very tall aerial devises are in place in Toronto Canada. As for floor weight in the firehouses of E-211/TL-119 and later E-207/L110 had floors that held the old Mack Super Pumper and TenderFDNY Super Pumper & Tender IFO Qtrs Tillery St..jpg. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

I may be a matter of finding the right new apparatus for the FDNY but if London Fire Brigade Can make it work than FDNY can. Even with the problems with Snorkel, elbows in NYCs at time narrow streets, that may be one answer. Most NYC truly High-Rise Buildings are located on wide streets. There are Telescoping Snorkel devices that can handle the weight limit of 1,000 LBS that I still believe it the weight capacity of Aeroscope Tower Ladders. Very tall aerial devises are in place in Toronto Canada. As for floor weight in the firehouses of E-211/TL-119 and later E-207/L110 had floors that held the old Mack Super Pumper and TenderView attachment 45156. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired
What about having them as special calls ladder trucks?

Special Call was what was done for the old Mack Rear Mount 144 ft. High Ladders during the 1970s. The 144 ft ladders were eventually removed, and new 100 ft. ladders were retrofitted on these rigs. Some were used for Tactical Control Unit =T.C.U. Ladder Companies.
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

Hate to add to the problem but when is FDNY going to consider the idea of getting a Large High Ladder Tower or Ladder for use at High Rise fires?
London bought TWO 64 meters = Over 200 ft., ladders with buckets after examining the need to reach the upper floors at major fires in High rise Building Fires such as the Grenfell Towers, disaster. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

View attachment 45145View attachment 45142View attachment 45144
Please Stay on topic …this is a tread is about the “New Rescues”. You can always start a new topic. Ty.

Last edited: