9/9/24 Mutual Aid to NJ

Full PPE, handling a charged line on a 3ft wide wharf at the waters edge.

What is the plan if a guy ends up in the water? He's going straight to the bottom.
Good point, didn't even think about that...

dan

It is low tide ....they should have PFD's on..... but where the dock is at low tide its 3-4 feet max......very shallow......

Good point, didn't even think about that...
That is a myth.....The gear and the SCBA tank float - Many Departments train their FF's by having them jump into pools in full PPE and SCBA. Training PPE is used so as not to expose actual assigned PPe to Chlorine products. Same with SCBA. There are techniques for managing yourself after falling into a body of water in PPE/SCBA. A big one is upon reaching waters edge or getting to a ladder, beach yourself, or very slowly get out of the water allowing the water to drain from the bunker gear. I was taught these procedures at a HOT session at a fire training conference many years ago. The IC, or safety officer should have egress ladders placed near the water that the companies are operating around and assign personnel as lifeguards with flotation devices and throw ropes.

RCL

Had to be the fuel.
That's what I'm thinking. Regardless of what started the fire initially, the twin engine boat had fuel burning. You could also see what looked like oil in the water that 1 of the boats was trying to beak up and later it was burning. The only critique I see is M8 was flowing foam and had a pretty good knockdown. 1 of the other boats was flowing water on the same boat, and washed the foam away, before the other FDNY Marine units arrived to refill M8. And it flared up again. In reality it didn't matter since the boat was a total loss anyway, but in practical circumstances mixing water and foam doesn't work too well. Most of the time.

Bunker gear w/o life preserver has a ridiculously short time to stay afloat. The SCBA might provide some air for a while, but they're SCBA's, not SCUBA's. And that's if the facepiece is on when you fall in.
When we went to a boat/pier, depending on our due, I'd have maybe 2 guys geared up in case someone happened to be on the boat. Everyone else absolutely not, and make sure we had ropes, pfd's, etc. If we were FAST, guy would be in drysuit if it was cold out. And if we were FAST, I'd make guys that weren't actively operating to get the fuck off the 3' dock that shifts when there's fat firemen crowding around.

Look at how the guys on the boats are dressed. This is what they do full time. I'm not losing someone at a car fire that happens to be on the water.

I'm going by what the FDNY training guys did, what they tested and reported, what they drilled us on. What I did to keep my guys safe.

I don't know what gear this guy is wearing. Don't really care to be honest.