FDNY DCAS Fire Alarm Dispatchers exam?! Need suggestions for study material

Hello to all! I was hoping this community would be able to steer me in a good direction regarding DCAS Fire Alarm dispatchers exam. The filing period appears to begin December 2024. I previously took this exam 5 years ago without any preparation. I am determined to get an excellent list number and was hoping that anyone can shout out any suggestions for me. I purchased a course through Jobtestprep.com ( Criti-call) test material. As well as the fire alarm dispatchers exam book they sell in The Chief. I am practicing FDNY 10-codes and listening to the scanner daily. Please suggest anything else I should be preparing myself with. I submitted my application for Provisional and I am just determined to be as prepared as possible. So if anyone can assist this future Probie, it would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 0-1.jpg
    0-1.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 14
Post this in the Gettin Salty fan page on Facebook , there are a few current and former FDNY dispatchers who post pretty regularly there, they can get probably help

There are a couple of members on this web site who either are currently or retired dispatchers.

I know "Atlas" is a retired citywide supervising dispatcher and I'm sure he would be willing to help you if you send him a personnel message through this site.

And then there's another great guy who I believe is a member of this site.
I'm not sure of his user name, but he is a retired supervising dispatcher from the Bronx.

His name is Gary G., and I have his email address if you would like to contact him.
He's a really great guy

"ACF322", I will send you a message with his personnel email address so you can contact him.

Just tell him Willy D., "NFD2004", sent his email address to you.

If you took the last test, then expect this next one to be very similar.
Reading comprehension/ memory etc.
the test is designed basically for people off the street, so 10-codes and radio jargon are not needed

Feel free to drop a dm if you’ve got any questions
Good luck

When I took it years ago I did not study for it! It's not that hard a test but you have to have some common sense that's all

When I took it years ago I did not study for it! It's not that hard a test but you have to have some common sense that's all

Yeah I hear ya on that. I made the list that came out in 2020 but not a great list number. So better to review than not review I feel. I don't want to wait forever for my number to be called up this time around.

If you took the last test, then expect this next one to be very similar.
Reading comprehension/ memory etc.
the test is designed basically for people off the street, so 10-codes and radio jargon are not needed

Feel free to drop a dm if you’ve got any questions
Good luck
Thank You. :)

dan

It is a basic entry level civil service exam. Reading comprehension, memory section, listening comprehension sections.....prioritizing information etc......

The FD test used to be a basic entry level civil service exam. Then they "fixed" it.

Whenever I took a test I wore a coat and tie.

I thought it amped up the 'A' game for show time. It seemed to work. For all I know might only have been a good luck charm with pockets.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
If you are not sure of yourself, sign up and take other NYC exams before the Dispatchers test comes up.
Years ago the dispatchers exam was harder then the one for Firefighter. You needed to know NYC geography,
and basic electricity, both AC & DC.
Just go in and take to take the test without being nervous. If you took the last exam, try to remember the types of
questions that were asked. The best of luck!

Best of luck..! Unsure of time format, but...if the exam length is set up for three hours, use three hours.
"DO NOT" waste or leave an hour of question review on the floor walking out. Use every second to your advantage.
Remember two nights before the exam is the critical sleep night and no strange food(s) to your body the week before test day.
Keep us updated.

Last edited: