1/24/22 Baltimore MD 2nd Alarm w/ Maydays - 3 BCFD LODDs - RIP

Nice that the Council Member is interested in FF safety but I think her ideas are very disingenuous or unrealistic at the least....actually could be more of a
"handcuffing" situation for FFs & a detrimental outcome for those who might be trapped.

After the death of BC Tutlemondo in a vacant building, the cry in Brownsville was no entry into vacant buildings anymore. A couple of weeks later a vacant building fire on Riverdale Ave. & Rockaway Ave. had everybody again in a vacant building again and one of the Brothers almost went thru the floor. AS a Fire Marshal, I had a fire on Morgan Ave. and Chief said nobody in the building. A month later when building was being torn down the found a 10-45 code 1. It's a tough decision any way you look at it.

After the death of BC Tutlemondo in a vacant building, the cry in Brownsville was no entry into vacant buildings anymore. A couple of weeks later a vacant building fire on Riverdale Ave. & Rockaway Ave. had everybody again in a vacant building again and one of the Brothers almost went thru the floor. AS a Fire Marshal, I had a fire on Morgan Ave. and Chief said nobody in the building. A month later when building was being torn down the found a 10-45 code 1. It's a tough decision any way you look at it.
A council member is not the person to make that decision. I believe the best method is what NYC used for years with the square painted on the outside of the building meaning it was a vacant building. One slanted line in the square meant the building had hazardous conditions. A square with an X in it meant no entry due to conditions.

mack

Administrator
Always depends on situation. Vacant buildings have been marked and boarded - and then reported to have homeless or kids inside on arrival.

Even at BC Tuttlemundo's fire, squatters were reported inside. It was an exterior job - and the collapse occurred after knock-down to search for reported squatters.

"Forty years ago today, August 13th 1980, the tone alerts of the computer assisted dispatch system broke the silence of the firehouse at 4:36 am to announce box 1672 with the address of 124 Osborn St between Pitkin and Belmont. Engine 231, 232, and 227 with Ladder 120 and 176 were assigned on the initial alarm along with Battalion 44 as the incident commander. As Watkins Street units pulled onto the firehouse apron, an orange glow lit up the sky a mere two blocks away, indicating they were going to work. Upon arrival, units were confronted with a vacant 3 story frame with intense fire on the second and third floors. Exposure #2 was an empty lot, exposure 3 was a 1 story setback and exposure 4 was a similar attached vacant. Chief Tuttlemondo ordered his aide to transmit “all hands at work extra engine and truck”. Ladder 120 positioned their apparatus in front of the fire building in preparation for a large caliber stream attack. Searches would be delayed in spite of sketchy information squatters were known to frequent the building. After the fire was knocked down by the tower ladder, Ladder 120 entered the building to perform searches while Engine 227, commanded by Lt. Mike Ramos, stretched a line to extinguish smoldering fire on the first floor. In an attempt to gain a better handle of interior conditions, Chief Tuttlemondo accompanied Engine 227 as they moved in.

At 5:12 am, about 30 minutes after the initial alarm, there was a tremendous roar and unanticipated collapse trapping Chief Tuttlemondo and the operating members of Engine 227. Members of Ladder 120, who were operating inside the building on the upper floors, were able to get to the perimeter of the building and ride the collapse down. In the split seconds before the building came collapsing down upon them, Battalion Chief Frank Tuttlemondo used there precious moments to push on oof the engine firefighters to safety and throw his body over Lt. Ramos to shield him of the impending collapse. A second alarm was immediately transmitted followed by a third alarm. When Lt. Ramos regained consciousness amid the rubble,. he realized his head was being cradled by Chief Tuttlemondo’s arm. Chief Tuttlemondo succumbed to injuries sustained shorty after arriving at Kings County Hospital. Seven other firefighters were seriously injured. Two civilian bodies were later recovered by members sifting through debris. The fire was declared “under control” at 11:16 am that same day.

Chief Tuttlemondo was a 23 year veteran of the Fire Department at the time of his death. He worked most of his career in brooklyn with 6 of those years assigned to Battalion 44. He was liked by all, a fireman’s fireman, who was an avid heath fanatic and always interested in the men. He worked in an era of legends and unfortunately became one himself. To commemorate his life, a department medal has been endowed which is presented bi-annualy to a member of the department. It was first awarded on the medal day of June 1982. An annual Scholarship fund has also been organized to jointly honor the memories of both Chief Tuttlemondo and Lt. Robert R. Doleny of E332 who made the supreme sacrifice 5 months earlier on March 5th under similar circumstances. Chief Tuttlemondo was posthumously awarded the Thomas E. Crimmins Medal for his unselfish act of heroism. Today we commemorate his sacrifice and celebrate his memory.

“Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends” John XV: 13"

1645691958877.png

Last edited:
A council member is not the person to make that decision. I believe the best method is what NYC used for years with the square painted on the outside of the building meaning it was a vacant building. One slanted line in the square meant the building had hazardous conditions. A square with an X in it meant no entry due to conditions.
Any idea what the RO marking means?

RO = Roof Open (like from a previous Fire ) .......ALL these markings like RO & the squares ...slashes & Xs are very subjective.....while they are a good idea the occupancy & conditions of the structure are very dynamic .....constant evaluation is mandatory with each response no matter how many times you respond to a bldg.

RO = Roof Open (like from a previous Fire ) .......ALL these markings like RO & the squares ...slashes & Xs are very subjective.....while they are a good idea the occupancy & conditions of the structure are very dynamic .....constant evaluation is mandatory with each response no matter how many times you respond to a bldg.
Thanks Chief, that's what we were thinking but always best to double check.

At the Osborn St Collapse which killed BC Tuttlemondo & injured several Members squatters were present & at least one was killed....there was one who was present as the search continued into the morning...he stated he only escaped due to the fact that he had left the bldg before the Fire & was "washing up" at a nearby Hydrant.

New bill being considered in Baltimore to stop members from entering vacant buildings.

Thank you Lebby

Of course time has certainly changed over the years when it comes to the fire service.

Firefighters were basically taught that there are No Vacant Buildings.
Every building needs to be assumed as "occupied" when it comes to saving lives.
There were no such thing as FAST Companies either.

Therefore firefighters would search so called "vacant buildings" that were on fire.

Way back in August, 2009, I wrote a story called "Role Model" on here.
It was the story of my father who was on the job in Bridgeport, Ct.

There had been a fire in a vacant building that he responded to.
In that building, was a homeless man and my father rescued him.

I later met that guy who my father had saved.
I was waiting for a bus and he asked me for some money.
I didn't give him any money but instead I bought him breakfast at a diner across the street.
While having breakfast with him, the fire trucks went by.
He then told me, "Those guys saved my life".

Small world, it was the guy my father rescued and he was still wearing the same brown coat that my father had told me about.
Plus I noticed he now had a stoma in his throat in order to save his life.

The story is on this site in the "General Discussion Section" called; "Role Model"

This should take you there:

www.nycfire.net/forums/threads/role-model.3664

Mutual aid assignments February 2, 2022

Station 02
Carroll County Pleasant Valley E63 acting E2

Station 04
Cecil County Cecilton R1 acting E4
Annapolis City T39 acting T29

Station 05
Annapolis City E371 acting E5
Washington County Longmeadow Q27 acting T3
Baltimore Washington International M43 acting M10